pixeltracker

Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!

Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!

apdarcey
#0Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 3:57pm

i'm very excited and enthusiastic about this show! tonight is the opening night in seattle... i hope the show puts up a great performance tonight and i expect full reports from our seattle contingent!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 3:58pm

It's not the opening night, it's first preview. Opening night is the 17th. I'm going on the 23rd.
Updated On: 8/9/05 at 03:58 PM

apdarcey
#2re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:03pm

first preview, whatever.. they are opening to the public with this show tonight.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:05pm

Well, it's not really the same thing.

apdarcey
#4re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 4:11pm

they open to the public tonight. the critics come in a week. the show is still opening for performances.

BwayTheatre11
#5re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 5:24pm

From what I have heard...I do not like this show. This sounds less like a Broadway musical compared to a jukebox musical.

CCM '10!
Updated On: 8/9/05 at 05:24 PM

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#6re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 5:25pm

i think its too pop-ish for me.....

theatreboi11
#7re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 5:40pm

Is there a web site where I can learn more about the show?

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 5:52pm

Wait...It's too "popish" but you have an "In My Life" logo for your avatar?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#10re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 5:55pm

Crap. These songs are catchy.

I hope this dosen't turn out to be this years BROOKLYN.

Because at once Brooklyn was getting a lot of hype, positive hype. And look what happened, lol. It turned out to be trash.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#11re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 6:12pm

Some of the songs sound like they were cut from Carrie. That scares and excites me all at once.

theatreboi11
#12re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 6:58pm

hmmmm.....not sure what I think as of yet. I think I could potenitally like it, but after reading the plot I am not a fan as of right now.

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

BertCCRI2 Profile Photo
BertCCRI2
#13re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 7:15pm

I saw "Princesses" last summer at Goodspeed in Chester and found it to be delightful. The story outline does not, of itself, inspire confidence, but the musical theatre adage that it's not so much the basic idea that counts, but the way in which it is executed, certainly proved true. The parallels between "The Little Princess" -- which is "the show within the show" -- and the main storyline work effectively. The show had a great deal of humor, charm, and warmth, and the leads as well as the ensemble -- the girls at the school -- were excellent. The music was tuneful and varied, and the lyrics reminded one of how good David Zippel is at his craft. I admired the care taken in the writing to individualize the girls, and all were given their chance to make an impression. After seeing the Goodspeed production, I felt that the show clearly deserved an extended life.

My big concern, of course, is that a number of shows that I've seen at Chester have not been as good in later productions. The inevitable tweeking and tampering have resulted in weakening rather than strengthening promosing works. A few examples would be "Annie Warbucks"; "jon and jen" (great at Chester, mediocre Off-Broadway, even with the same cast and director!); "Mirette"; and "Summer of '42" (How could they have cut "Losing Track of Time," arguably the best song in the show? I'm glad it was restored for the concert at the York in May.). I can only hope that any "improvements" in the current version of "Princesses" have not ruined what was a lovely show last year.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#14re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 7:22pm

I'm really looking forward to this. I love David Zippel's work.

theatreboi11
#15re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 7:32pm

What else has he done?

MackieManiac
#16re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/9/05 at 8:11pm

I also liked it a lot at GOODSPEED. What it did best was define the many many girls in the show. You know every one of them and care aboutt hem. and WHAT A DRAG brought the house down.. perfectly constructed and placed. I also loved Donna English inthe show and am VERY glad they replaced REX SMITH!

thesparklingdiamond Profile Photo
thesparklingdiamond
#17re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 12:27pm

I Was there last night, and I must say although some of the songs are quite pop-ish it works with the musical. I think after seeing it in person as opposed to just listening to the songs on the site I can see how it fits it to the show better and they do actually manage to mix them in with a fair amount of traditonal sounding showtunes. with the expection of the boy-band type boyfriend who I think should be cut from the show altoghter...(he was horrible!!)and the girls do a great job with the cliche types that their chracters are. "what a drag" was fabulous! one of the best songs of the night. The show has a simple plot but its cute and funny. It works for me plus the cast was so nice afterwards! they really embraced the fans and I was so glad they enjoyed our support.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#18re: Break a leg to the cast of PRINCESSES!!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 1:26pm

bobby-bubby, those songs sound like something brittany spears would have on her CD, thats how pop-ish it sounds, In my Life is not even that close to a brittany spears song

Videos