pixeltracker

Germans at deh shpa! Which "Nine" recording???

Germans at deh shpa! Which "Nine" recording???

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#0Germans at deh shpa! Which "Nine" recording???
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:21pm

Which Nine recording would you all recommend? The OBC, which I recently bought, or the 2003 Revival Cast?

So far, Anita Morris is the only thing I'm really loving on this recording. How is the other?
Updated On: 8/10/05 at 08:21 PM

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#1re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:26pm

Shpa! Shpa! Shpa!

I prefer the original, especially now that it has been remastered. The orchestra is twice as big, and the performances have more character, at least to my ears. I know Raul Julia sounds a bit like he's straining, but he was quite wonderful in the theatre, so I never mind listening to him.

I'd probably recommend the London concert recording before the recent Broadway revival recording, but others here might disagree. I also have trouble getting past the overripe accents in the revival.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#2re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:29pm

I really love "Nine", especially the score. I have both recordings and there are some numbers I prefer on the orignal over the revival, and vice versa. Overall though, I like the revival better, just based on the cast.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#3re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:32pm

Be advised that there are no Germans at deh shpa on the new recording.

You might consider the Johnathan Pryce recording. From favorite to least favorite, here's what I like.
1) Original B'way Cast
2) Jonathan Pryce cast
3) Australian Cast
4) Revival
Jonathan Pryce cast recording

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#4re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:42pm

No Germans!!?!?!? WHAT!?!?!?

That depresses me greatly.

I'll probably still get the Revival. The OBC I have is the 2-Disc remastered version. I'm absolutely in love with Anita Morris. Fierce belter and glorious head voice. That high C at the end of Vatican. WOW!

How is Jane Krakowski?

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#5re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:43pm

I love the revival cast recording, the original is great but in my book the revival is a bit better.....i don't know i think it is jane's "voice" in Call from the Vatican that i love

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#6re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:46pm

The key is lower for Jane Krakowski's "Call from the Vatican".

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#7re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:48pm

Jane played Carla, so yes, she would have sung "A Call from the Vatican." Does she start growl-belting near the end of the song like Anita Morris does? I don't expect the performances to be identical. What's the point of having 2 recordings if they are?

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#8re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:51pm

"No Germans!!?!?!? WHAT!?!?!?"

The song and the characters were cut from the revival.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#9re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:52pm

Poor Germans. Good thing I have the OBC!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#10re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:54pm

Jane was fine, but the fuss over that performance was because of her entrance, dangling in a bed sheet, and her exit, hanging upside down from said bed sheet.

Anita Morris was a contortionist, so she was able to sing that number, twisting herself into just astonishing positions, including standing on her head.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#11re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:58pm

I wish I could have seen the revival. I wish I could have seen the original production as well, but I wasn't exactly alive yet.

R.I.P., Anita Morris. What a talent.

joeybiltmore1
#12re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:03pm

I have all the recordings of the exquisite "Nine" and while they each have their good points (and bad), I'd rank them like this:

Original Broadway Cast
Australian Cast
London Concert
Broadway Revival

"The Germans at the Spa" is one of my favorite sequences and I can't believe it was cut from the revival.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#13re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:04pm

That's no excuse!

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#14re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:07pm

I just adored everything about the original Broadway and revival Broadway productions. I would gladly live in either place.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#15re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:09pm

Of anything they could have chosen, why do they wear lederhosen?

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#16re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:12pm

Not an excuse? Not an excuse, my foot!

I'm really pissed. CDNow.com usually has really good sound clips for every CD. All of the clips for the Nine Revival are of the OBC. It's totally messed up! I want to hear a clip of Jane singing "A Call from the Vatican!" I guess I'll just have to buy it!

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#17re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:24pm

re: Germans at deh shpa!

Anita Morris in all her glory!

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#18re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:29pm

One of Tommy Tune's most shining moments of brilliant staging was when four of the Germans at the Spa ladies replicated the opening tableaux pose of the Grand Pas de Quatre which was a command performance for Queen Victoria. The pose is depicted in a famous lithograph by Chalon of the four most famous ballerinas of that time: Marie Taglioni, Lucille Grahn, Fanny Cerrito and Carlotta Grisi.

Updated On: 8/10/05 at 09:29 PM

theatreboi11
#19re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:34pm

If anyone is interested, University of Illinois in Champaign/Urbana is doing this musical this fall! I am assistant directing. So far through the production meetings that we had all last semester it is going to be anamazing musical! If you are around the area end of October/beginning of November try and catch this show! If you want more info please pm me:)

oh and its for the Department of Theatre at the University so it will be very professional looking and also in the final performance!

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."
Updated On: 8/10/05 at 09:34 PM

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#20re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:35pm

i just love Jane's orgasaum

jacco
#21re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/11/05 at 7:39am

Love the London concert version because of the WONDERFUL Ann Crumb. And the choir songs are REALLY BIG!

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#22re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/11/05 at 7:56am

Grazie for the Anita Morris pic Morosco!
Her talent was a huge as her..... gorgeous looks.

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#23re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/11/05 at 8:42am

I recall a LIFE magazine photo on William Ivey Longs costumes hen the show opened in 1982...Anita was photographed in a full-page and full-color pic. She confessed that the nude-colored body sctocking Longhad provided her to wear under the catsuit made her feel less, well, "nude," so she took scissors to it in strategic locations so her "naughtybits" were on full display.

ConductorMan
#24re: Germans at deh shpa!
Posted: 8/11/05 at 10:07am

Paper Mill Playhouse also did an outstanding production quite a few years back that was also wonderful. Paul Schoeffler was Guido, Judy MacLane was Luisa, and Lauren Kennedy was Carla. It was stunningly beautiful and both Maury Yeston and Arthur Kopit were involved. I love the concert recording the best I think, because the entire score is intact.

Videos