pixeltracker

Must-have musical cast recordings

Must-have musical cast recordings

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#0Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 7:35pm

I'm trying to find a musical that I can buy on itunes. Need your advice to get the best one. I already have these:

Wicked
Les Miserables (original and 10th ann.)
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (movie)
The Spitfire Grill
Avenue Q
Crazy For You (Broadway and London)
The Lion King
Disney's Beauty and the Beast
Into the Woods (revival)
Once Upon a Mattress
Once On This Island
Spamalot
The Producers
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
The Last 5 Years
The Frogs
Assasins (revival)

so, what should I get? and I can't get Light in the Piazza cause it's $10.99 and I only have $10.02 in my account. So, there is no point in suggesting that. Thanks!

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

BeingAlive Profile Photo
BeingAlive
#1re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 7:48pm

sorry I misread!

Judy, Liza, Barbara, Bette, these are names I shant forget.

Updated On: 8/16/05 at 07:48 PM

stagebeauty Profile Photo
stagebeauty
#2re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 7:51pm

children of eden

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#3re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 7:55pm

Porgy and Bess!

but wait..GUH! YAGMCB of course!

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

BeingAlive Profile Photo
BeingAlive
#4re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 8:08pm

Well, the problem is iTunes has a very slim selection of showtunes. When I try and think of some recordings I have seen on there the most that come to mind are Hairspray, Light in the Piazza, She Loves Me, and the Mame soundtrack with Lucile Ball(crap). But I know there's more...do any of those interest you?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 8:10pm

CHICAGO OBC
OR 1997 Revival Recording
Or Original London Cast Recording

Updated On: 8/16/05 at 08:10 PM

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#6re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 8:13pm

iTunes is so frustrating - musicals stuff can be anywhere. I just downloaded the new Guy Haines CD which was, of all places, under Rock, and I only found THAT because I was specifically searching for it.

The amount of cast albums is pretty limited on there -- I think they do have Little Shop of Horrors which isn't on your list of ones you own...and should be.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#7re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 8:17pm

only one that interests me (that I have read so far) is Little Shop of Horrors

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

forget regret <3 Profile Photo
forget regret <3
#8re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 8:17pm

i second charlie brown... also i was just searching to see if itunes had aida and the german version looks pretty snazzy! haha re: Must-have musical cast recordings spelling bee looks cute though i don't have it... brooklyn is great too! i love eden espinosa. ok thats all i can think of at the moment.

"forget regret <3, I love your post.....you give me hope for the next generation!" -Elphaba

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 8:20pm

Well maybe you should expand your tastes a little.. I check out cast recordings that aren't usually my type of music - and I end up enjoying their scores a lot.

There are so many classics you need to hear..

Gypsy
West Side Story
Chicago
Sweet Charity
Wonderful Town
The King and I
Cabaret

and the list goes on and on.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#10re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 8:48pm

thanks. I made up my mind though. someone else mentioned Songs of the New World and I remembered that I had heard a song from that and really liked it. And so I downloaded that. Thanks for all the suggestions!

oh, and btw, I have heard Rent and West Side Story but I really don't like either one of them.

-Dre-

~Curtains~

~A Tale of Two Cities ~

BeingAlive Profile Photo
BeingAlive
#11re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 8:55pm

Well, forget the classics ljay because iTunes is lacking. I searched and out of all those the ONLY album they had was Wonderful Town with Brooke Shields. I am seriously shocked there's no West Side Story. Strange..and dissapointing.

I definitley will encourage Little Shop - but only the off broadway original cast. :)

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#12re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 8:59pm

they have westside story. Broadway and London and I think movie. look under leonard bernstein and you'll find it.

-Dre-

~Curtains~

~A Tale of Two Cities ~

hypertruffle
#13re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 9:04pm

I'm not sure of the price tag, but definately check out Bernstein's 'Candide'. A flop classic.

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#14re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/16/05 at 9:12pm

Sweet Charity.

Aida.

You need to get acquainted with the classics, most of which you probably already know.

But i love, really love, the new sweet charity cd so get that too!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#15re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:14am

I second Little Shop. But not Charity...ugh!

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#16re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:17am

^

omgz. like little shop is a masterpeice. charity is so freakin crappy!!! who tha hell is Cy Coelman anyway?? i neva heard of him.. his score sux for charity!! ughghughg

YankeesFan175
#17re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:18am

sorry if this is a dumb question, but the spitfire grill was a musical??? i loved that movie, is it similiar to the movie? i looked on amazon and nothing comes up. sorry to go off topic, but if someone could PM me about this thatd be great.

Bob: "there is a chance, albeit a microscopic one, that our baby at some point in his or her formative years will get lodged in a tree" ~Related~

#18re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:18am

Hairspray if you want a fun musical... or My Fair Lady if you want a classic.

I agree with the others in not reccommending Sweet Charity.

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!! Profile Photo
SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#19re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:23am

A Chorus Line... an Importent classic.. esp. since its coming back in 06 *does a little happy dance*

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#20re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:26am

have the video (cause Terrence Mann is in it) but don't like the music (except Music in the mirror)

-Dre-

~Curtains~

~A Tale of Two Cities ~

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#21re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:30am

eww! I mean the Oringal Cast Recording... not the movie!! get the real one!

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#22re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:37am

i don;t think it matters. i just don;t like the music.

-Dre-

~Curtains~

~A Tale of Two Cities ~

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#23re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:43am

trust me it matters lol... ask anyone... the chorus lIne movie is infamous for distroying the beauty of the oringal... I find the movie music kinda creepy.

JayKid Profile Photo
JayKid
#24re: Must-have musical cast recordings
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:45am

phantom
sweeney todd
seussical

i like all those, dunno if anyone mentioned em...

also, for those looking for showtunes on other DLing sources, I'd really suggest limewire, it has a lot of stuff.

I got mad cuz itunes didn't have some things I wanted, but limewire did, although it's illegal, whatever.

Videos