pixeltracker

Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?

Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?

JMVR Profile Photo
JMVR
#0Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 2:29pm

I am always in favor of anything that promotes Broadway and brings in new audiences. However, I can't help but have some reservations about this idea of taking shorter versions of shows to Vegas. Case in point, Hairspray and Phantom.

Although I understand that from a business perspective it may make more sense to have shorter versions, I am seriously concerned about what this might do to audience's perception of Broadway musicals.

First of all, what does this redux version say about the original Broadway show? It seems that the message would be: the Broadway version has a lot of fluff that is really unncessary and you can shave of 60 minutes from that and still tell the whole story in a very satisfying way. Is this what they are trying to tell LV audiences? Scenes, songs and dance numbers on Broadway are really not important to the whole experience, so those Broadway fools don't know what they are doing so here's the real important stuff in a 90 minute version?? In have a hard time accepting this.

Second, if audiences (not Broadway fans but tourists who only occasionally see a show) believe that the 90 minute versions are good enough, how will they react to a 150 minute show when they visit NY? Is the Broadway musical slowly going to be reduced to its minimum possible expression?

The point I am trying to make is this: When a musical opens on Broadway, it's already been heavily discussed, trimmed, timed and edited by its creators until they feel the show is just right. Then the out-of-town tryouts and previews provide more insight on the structure of the show and the effectiveness of numbers and scenes and come opening night, the creative forces behind the show have eliminated everything that they feel is not necessary or appropriate and present to us what they feel the definitive version of the show should be. Then the show opens, reviews are in, etc. and the show becomes a hit and audiences love it "as is". Then the CD comes oout (hopefully) and preserves that version of the show with all its songs, etc.

Suddenly some years later . . . guess what? THEY WERE WRONG! Those pretentious, over-the-top Broadway people really messed up and made people sit through about an hour of unnecessary stuff that we can certainly do without. So forget the Broadway version, and all those silly songs on the CD that are really not important and come see the show in Vegas!!

I know money makes the world go round, but come on!! I can't think how they can possibly shave off an hour from a show and still make people think they're getting the same show!

I can picture the Vegas Hairspray CD track list: "Good Morning Baltimore/Mama i'm a Big Girl Now", "Without Love", "The Big Dollhouse" "Timeless to Me" and "You Can't Stop the Beat". Period

Any thoughts on this?

The meat is always leaner on somebody else's dinner plate!

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
#1re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 2:30pm

also Welcome to the Sixties, and I can Hear the Bells.

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
#2re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 2:32pm

They also dont necessarily have to cut out songs, they can cut dialouge too.

loudasthehelliwant Profile Photo
loudasthehelliwant
#3re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 2:40pm

You make a REALLY good point.

In some ways, the Vegas productions seem like cheap versions of the full-fledged production.

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"

littlewow
#4re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:37pm

Have any of you ever seen a musical in Vegas? Any production in Vegas? Today's Vegas productions are never the "cheap version" of anything. I live in and work in Las Vegas and grew up here. I've worked with the Mamma Mia show here, Blue Man Group and Ave. Q.
Anything done in Vegas will be top notch entertainment with a great production.
But in Vegas, the end result must always be the greatest possible return on investment... it has to make money.
As much as I wish I could make the rest of the world like and appreciate Broadway, many just never will... at least, they won't think they will... but get them in the seat for a well done prouduction of a show... 90 minutes or not, and you might just foster a love of it in them.
Vegas will never be as intellectual or pure theater as Broadway, but I think the fact that people like us post on web boards about it means that it has positively influenced enough lives that we should want others to have that same positive experience.
I applaud my city for trying to bring some of that to the west coast in a consistent manner to a place with the venues and tourism to support a growing love of a great American institution.

Updated On: 8/28/05 at 03:37 PM

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
#5re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:39pm

they are building a theatre specifically for Phantom. Doesn't sound like a cheaper version to me!

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
#6re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:40pm

they are building a theatre specifically for Phantom. Doesn't sound like a cheaper version to me!

yipper Profile Photo
yipper
#7re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:45pm

As I understand it, These show are abridged to increase the number of performances a day, and not pay cast and crew overtime. Any truth to this?

Follow the Fellow who Follows a Dream...

littlewow
#8re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:51pm

not that I know of... all the performers I know in Vegas are very well treated. Plus, there are only certain times when people see shows in Vegas or will want to see shows in Vegas. Or the hotels will want people to stop gambling and see a show in Las Vegas.
The thing to remember about any show that comes to a Vegas hotel is that it must not conflict with the hotels ability to take in gambling revenue... that's what makes this world go around.

TennesseeTwang
#9re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 4:54pm

That's understandable and Broadway shows certainly don't give their tickets away. But if enough Vegas-bound shows are cut to 90 minutes, it just stands to reason that some of these productions will suffer in quality. Yes, the producers are allowing it, but I suspect that the big money makes them more likely to ignore the fact that these plays are being lessened artistically.

Also, I thought that with the advent of the huge cash cow Cirque de Soleil shows that dominate Vegas, the resorts were for the first time, seeing more profit from entertainment than gambling.
Updated On: 8/28/05 at 04:54 PM

#10re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 5:45pm

I thought the shows were cut down to allow for gambling to continue. Plus, maybe that type of audience wants a shorter musical.

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#11re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 6:18pm

Thank you littlewow. I live in Vegas too and I agree with you. I hate that they are cutting the shows down, but it doesn't outweigh that theatre is coming to Vegas and touching people who might never have gone to a Broadway show. Maybe this will make people want to go to NY and see more shows!

Be the change you want in the world....

TennesseeTwang
#12re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 6:32pm

"I thought the shows were cut down to allow for gambling to continue."

Oh I know that's why the shows are or were being cut. I was just wondering if that really is necessary.

Hairspraydoll
#13re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 6:45pm

http://www.usatoday.com/life/theater/news/2005-08-24-broadway-in-vegas_x.htm?csp=34

Here's an article about Vegas shows.

I don't think it's neccessary for the shows to be cut for gambling. Mamma Mia alone proves that, but what can ya do?

TonyBWay Profile Photo
TonyBWay
#14re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 7:30pm

Just to comment on a few of your concerns:

-Despite what you may think, Vegas isn't so much gambling based as it is attraction/show based. So bringing Broadway musicals seems like an obvious move.

-One of the reasons the show is 90 minutes is so that they can add additional performances.

-Having Broadway shows in Vegas can only help build tourism for both Las Vegas and New York. If someone who may not have not normally gone to the theatre sees a show like Avenue Q in LV it may be a reason for them to visit NYC and see a show there too.

-Let us remember that Broadway shows typically don't run more than 2 1/2 hours, at most! Most people have a short attention span and can't sit through that. Also, don't forget that 15 minutes is built into a normal Broadway show for intermission. They are only cutting about 15, 20 minutes at most. Not really butchering a show...

-Most musical have some "fat" that can be trimmed off of it to make the show transition easier. Especially a show like Phantom...

In closing Broadway theatre and National tours (eq and non) have had its fair share of horrendous productions, and Vegas is obviously bringing sure fire hits to the strip, so I wouldn't worry too much about the integrity, considering...

Updated On: 8/28/05 at 07:30 PM

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#15re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 9:43pm

I'm a Vegas native, and I'm quite excited that theatre is expanding here, but the fact is the number one industry in Vegas is tourism. People who come here come to have a good time (i.e. get drunk, etc.), but they also come here to see lavish shows that can't be seen anywhere else. For the most part, tourists in the past have not wanted to see Broadway-type shows. When they come here, they want to see big spectacle shows like Cirque where the entire stage can transform, turn upside down, and see productions inside a theatre where the stage is a huge pool. They also want big name headliners. Theatre shows in the past have not done well here (i.e. Notre Dame De Paris, Saturday Night Fever, any of the national tours), but I am really hoping they will become more popular. Mamma Mia has not been cut at all, but as for most shows in Vegas, everything is pretty much 90 minutes. When you have 90% of an audience who has been drinking alcohol, they can't sit for very long, and most people who live here don't see shows because of the prices. But, we definitely have quality shows here, and even though some shows are/will be cut, I'm glad we have something! To be honest, most people would choose a transforming stage, or Celine Dion and a floating piano over an unknown singing a showtune (well you get what I'm saying), although myself and I doubt anyone else on this board would.

Your fupa is showing.
Updated On: 8/28/05 at 09:43 PM

Greg-4now
#16re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/28/05 at 9:55pm

This is a great topic.

I recently watched a (20/20 or similar) report on Vegas and the truth is more money is being spent on non-gaming entertainment and dinning for the first time in the history of Vegas. Vegas is changing, maybe for the better.

But limiting a show to just Vegas is bad. So many smaller towns never get the value of live theater.

Avenue Q plays at the Golden...its the perfect size theater for that show. About 800 seats, no pit...its very cozy. Now, put it in the new $50 million Wynn Theater(??) in Vegas with 1200 seats. They've supposedly enhanced the Vegas show with more technical effects. They are changing the show...to steal a line from the Show, I think "it sucks to be" a show in Vegas.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#17re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/29/05 at 12:44am

Mamma Mia! is a full 2.5 hrs (plus intermission!). They just cut WWRY to 90 mins.

The Wynn is supposed to be a gorgeous hotel. I'm sure John T. and company are having a wonderful time being across the street from the Fashion Show Mall.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 8/29/05 at 12:44 AM

Hairspraydoll
#18re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/29/05 at 8:55pm

Before we all start knocking it, maybe we should wait and see how it all ends up?

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#19re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/29/05 at 10:49pm

I'm all for shows being run in Vegas...if they like them shortened, fine.

BUT...blocking the entire state of CA from getting a tour of Spamalot to ensure that we "come to Vegas"? WRONG.

I'm not flying to Vegas for a cliff note version of the show.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

Hairspraydoll
#20re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/29/05 at 10:59pm

I totally agree that sucks! Most people in Vegas agree that it sucks. We're sorry on behalf of Steve Wynn. re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#21re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/29/05 at 11:05pm

Thanks!

I'm worried this will become the norm for any show invited to Vegas. I wasn't even thinking about seeing Spamalot when it tours here, but it's the principle of the thing!

If Wynn thinks he's getting SF theater fans to fly to Vegas for an abridged version of a Broadway show, he needs to think again! It's expensive anough to see a show; adding tickets and hotel cost to it makes it impossible for most of the theater fans in SF to do so.

*end rant*

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

Hairspraydoll
#22re: Las Vegas Musicals: Good or Bad?
Posted: 8/29/05 at 11:41pm

Yeah, I am really unsure as to his logic on this one... It's all about money. Sigh.
I guess it never came into play with the other shows since they have all toured already and since Avenue Q decided not to tour period, plus it's the full length show.

Videos