Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#0Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/2/05 at 7:04pm

OK,I'm sure you've all discussed this thoroughly knowing all the Wicked/Idina Menzel fans on this site, and I really apologize for bringing it up again because there most be at leats 20 different threads about this. However, I just want someone to tell me what exactly happened the day Idina Menzel hurt herself during her last performance. What I thought had happened was that during the melting scene at the end of the show, she fell, and then Shoshana Bean finished the show, but I saw a bootleg tape the other day of Shoshana Bean performing Defying Gravity and it said that the date was Jan.9 so I just want to know what really happened. I apologize again.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Blue J
#1re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/2/05 at 7:07pm

Idina got injured during the matinee performance on January 8th. Shoshana did the evening performance that night as well as what should have been Idina's last show on January 9th.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/2/05 at 7:13pm

Ohhhh,I get it, thank you so much I was sooo confused.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

apdarcey
#3re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/2/05 at 7:15pm

actually, she got injured at the matinee on the 8th. shoshanna performed on the evening of the 8th and the matinee on the 9th, the only show that day, a sunday. idina came out and sang for good with jlt i believe.

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#4re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/2/05 at 7:54pm

I don't think Idina sang For Good. I think she only came out for the final scene.

theaterlover45 Profile Photo
theaterlover45
#5re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/2/05 at 7:55pm

Well was anyone there so we can get the real idea of what happened.re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#6re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/2/05 at 7:58pm

She came out for the finale...which include For Good.

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#7re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/2/05 at 8:04pm

She only came out for the reprise of For Good, right?
Edited: Nevermind. I just understood what you meant. Updated On: 9/2/05 at 08:04 PM

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#8re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/2/05 at 8:06pm

I was there, she only came out when Joey knocked on the trap door and shouted "it worked" and Idina walked in from the side of the stage, and finished that very short last part of the show.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#9re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/2/05 at 8:16pm

Thanks. That's how I remember it as it was described on all the boards.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#10re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/2/05 at 8:20pm

I was at the January 8th matinee when she got hurt.

Scroll down to read my very first BWW post

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 9/2/05 at 08:20 PM

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#11re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/3/05 at 12:01am

well... I remember them saying they were going to have a meeting to discuss if someone was at fault, or if it was just a mechanical mistake which caused the trap door to decend... anyone know what the final decision was?

that's a really big mic...

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#12re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/3/05 at 2:01am

In some of her recent concerts, when she discusses the fall, she seems to blame it on human error . . . she indicated a substitute was in and made comments like "she was doing the best job she could (sarcasm)" and "don't feel sorry for her".

So, I sounds like the floor was lowered prematurely, i.e., before the stage manager signaled that it was OK to do so.

But, that is just the impression from some of the shows in Provincetown.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#13re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/3/05 at 2:43am

I don't think she was being all that sarcastic when she said it was a "substitute doing the best job she could." From what she's been saying, it was human error that caused the accident, though.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#14re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/3/05 at 4:00am

I thought she was being a bit sarcastic when she said "best job" as in, apparently it was not that good of a job - but I was not there in person, so I could have misinterpreted.
Updated On: 9/3/05 at 04:00 AM

freeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
#15re: Idina Menzel performance-Jan 9
Posted: 9/3/05 at 11:52am

When I went backstage with a very nice stageahand (to whom I am forever grateful), I asked him about it. He told me that the guy who normally operates that trapdoor (and others? I don't remember.) was supposed to go hunting that weekend with some buddies. His buddies ended up cancelling, but he took the day off anyway. The substitute kinda messed up. If I remember correctly, it's mainly computer-operated and the person is merely there to make sure the computer doesn't malfunction...which it did.

According to him, the trap door is now weight-sensitive and won't lower AT ALL until someone steps on it.