pixeltracker

Musicals and masculinity- Page 3

Musicals and masculinity

London Boy Profile Photo
London Boy
#50re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 7:52am

hahaha

If a bird's favourite film is Bridget Jones, she doesn't deserve your attention. What you need is a bird who loves football, Drinks pints of lager, thinks Die Hard is the greatest film ever made, and still looks good bending over in a bikini re: Musicals and masculinity

"the cottagers at Rotherhithe knew something of his name. From Hammersmith to Putney people shuddered at his name" - Growltiger's Last Stand

London Boy Profile Photo
London Boy
#51re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 7:53am

hahaha

If a bird's favourite film is Bridget Jones, she doesn't deserve your attention. What you need is a bird who loves football, Drinks pints of lager, thinks Die Hard is the greatest film ever made, and still looks good bending over in a bikini re: Musicals and masculinity

"the cottagers at Rotherhithe knew something of his name. From Hammersmith to Putney people shuddered at his name" - Growltiger's Last Stand

bwaylvsong
#52re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 12:35pm

I am straight, and I love musicals. I also happen to dislike sports. The only thing that keeps me somewhat out of the stereotype is disliking shopping even more than sports. Anyway, in Junior High, I was teased by almost everyone who knew me, but not harassed. Now that I go to a performing arts High School, people are teased for NOT liking musicals.

AngusN
#53re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 3:26pm

London Boy, it appears that you are trying extremely hard to assert that you are straight by using such terms as 'bird' and 'geezer' when referring to men and women. You are annoyed that people assume that you are gay just because you enjoy musical theatre. How do you think the women that you are referring to as 'birds' feel? I know you are from London, but to me it seems that you are trying too hard to prove you are a straight 'geezer'.
Updated On: 9/6/05 at 03:26 PM

musicnmath
#54re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 5:35pm

As far as im concerned, guys are way better when cultured.
here, here!!!

Yesterday, my boyfriend and I were talking about funny words...which led to talking about "Schadenfreude"...which led to me explaining the definition by singing a few examples...which then required me to explain the whole show. :) It's about seizing that opportunity, right? re: Musicals and masculinity

He's not up on MT yet...but he's not uninterested. Before he knew me, he took an acting class just for fun, so that shows potential! He is a movie buff though...so I'm using the cross-over to my advantage: he is being educated on RENT so he's prepared to accompany me 11/23 :)

"...have yet to find a girl who goes nuts over the MT guys. but ill stay on the lookout.
do! we're out there :)

I'm a girl who loves math...so that confuses people too. Quality friends find the contrasts endearing.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#55re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 5:39pm

Well, I embrace the whole gay and musical thing. If you have a bunch of straight guys or closet cases at auditons you can really syke them up, and build your own ego up because this is YOUR territory!

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#56re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 5:49pm

My boyfriend is the straightest guy you will ever meet and he loves Broadway musicals -- although there are certain ones he won't see (i.e. Chicago, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Sweet Charity) which I have to take my mom or a girlfriend to see instead. Wicked and Rent are his favorites.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#57re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 6:05pm

MTVMANN--are you freaking serious?? That's sad.

Whiteguy2088 Profile Photo
Whiteguy2088
#58re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 6:26pm

Here here to the straight men who love musicals. I get it all the time dont worry. My friends are like only girls or gay theatre freaks like musicals...But its cool. Like when Lion King came to Orange County and I dished out big bucks to see it three times I got a lotta crap for it. And also Wicked etc. But - Enjoying musical theatre got me a 12 on my SAT essay because I talked about how a show like The Full Monty may seem like rubbish and sexual comedy alone - I said it is emotionally enthralling and delivers a great message. So loving theatre again gets another point :)

London Boy Profile Photo
London Boy
#59re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 6:46pm

"it appears that you are trying extremely hard to assert that you are straight by using such terms as 'bird' and 'geezer'"

That's the way i speak, and have spoken since i was 14/15 years old. It has nothing to do with masculinity, more with vinacular.

"How do you think the women that you are referring to as 'birds' feel?"

A word such as 'birds' is merely a slang term, much like 'bloke' is. It is not used in a derogatory manner in any way, shape, or form, by anyone - in the same way as 'bloke' is not derogatory in any way.

London Boy Profile Photo
London Boy
#60re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 6:46pm

"it appears that you are trying extremely hard to assert that you are straight by using such terms as 'bird' and 'geezer'"

That's the way i speak, and have spoken since i was 14/15 years old. It has nothing to do with masculinity, more with vinacular.

"How do you think the women that you are referring to as 'birds' feel?"

A word such as 'birds' is merely a slang term, much like 'bloke' is. It is not used in a derogatory manner in any way, shape, or form, by anyone - in the same way as 'bloke' is not derogatory in any way.

toodramatic
#61re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 6:48pm

Perhaps if everyone stopped caring whether musicals are masculine the stereotypes would disappear...so what if people make fun of you for liking them? My guy friends make fun of me for liking theatre all the time... and then ill just make fun of them for one of their femine qualities. GUYS JOKE AROUND ALOT. It's one of the many things that make us superior to women.

:)

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#62re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/7/05 at 1:04am

jrb_actor, it's not sad! Straight people get the entire rest of the world, so why not embrace being gay and being in the theatre, especially musical theatre!

Fosse76
#63re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/7/05 at 10:55am

I just love the implication that gay men are essentially women, by the insinuation that gay men are not masculine.

musicnmath
#64re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/7/05 at 12:15pm

Fosse - I think there's a general lack of consensus on what "masculinity" means that leads to such broad statement.

Try discussing "feminism" with any group of people. yikes. Not exactly comparable, but the general idea is there...

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#65re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/7/05 at 12:18pm

Yeah guys make fun of you, and so do some girls but ask me if i care?? But most girls love it :)

I dont really think it effects my masculinity though.

Although i think some girls get scared when you know more than them :) tee hee

But its the same stupid stereotype that men who can dress arent any less masculine

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#66re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/7/05 at 12:26pm

And, I don't think my being gay means I can't be masculine.

mtvmann--sorry, I don't see the world that way. I choose to claim those parts of life I want whether they be "straight" or "gay". And, I would NEVER walk into an audition thinking I was superior to the straight guys in the room. That's just unfathomable to me.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#67re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/7/05 at 4:25pm

I think perhaps many people in the gay community may "act" more feminine or more macho than they really are because of stereotypes and the images of gays in culture in the past. That's not to say that I don't think that there are gay men who are both feminine and masculine, but I think it's sort of similiar in the black community with images of rappers and whatnot that people feel they have to be a certain way.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#68re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/7/05 at 11:51pm

Yep. There is pressure from some in the gay community to strive for levels of masculinity that aren't even practical for straight men.

Updated On: 9/7/05 at 11:51 PM

toodramatic
#69re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/8/05 at 12:00am

When I called theatre 'femine' I was generalizing. I don't care if people call theatre femine.' You know ehy? Because I'm comfortable with my masculinity. If your getting yourself all worked up because I called theatre femine maybe you should ask yourself why your so insecure?

Urban
#70re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/8/05 at 12:42am

I suppose it can be argued that I am gay and a musical lover thus I am a cliché - of course that ignores the fact I am a huge jock and love sport. Huge huge football fan. I can talk about college football for hours talking about inane things as X coach or Y QB and who will finish on top of the Pac 10 ladder.

ZONEACE
#71re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/8/05 at 12:43am

Is it wrong that i misread Jock and wondred what the relevence was?

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

Urban
#72re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/8/05 at 12:50am

*snickers* re: Musicals and masculinity re: Musicals and masculinity

COOOOLkid
#73re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/8/05 at 12:52am

LOL re: Musicals and masculinity

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

COOOOLkid
#74re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/8/05 at 12:52am

LOL re: Musicals and masculinity

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Videos