Urinetown in Boston

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#0Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 1:14am

I forgot the name of the theater, but there is one in the Boston area (was it Lyric Stage or something like that) doing a production of Urinetown. Just wondering, has anyone seen it and is it worth seeing?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#1re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 1:15am

I've heard good things...

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#2re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 1:18am

are you from Boston, or at least the general area?

If you are, and you're a student, student tickets are $10 with a valid ID. I go to Northeastern, I'm thinking about going one night next week after school :)

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#3re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 1:20am

The two reviews I've read have been good.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#4re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 1:21am

For $10, you can't go wrong.

millie_dillmount
#5re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 1:39am

OMG? Really?! I'm so there! I actually go to Boston University, so I'll definitely check it out - you're right you can't go wrong for 10 bucks.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#6re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 1:42am

oh, that's cool millie...what year are you? What's your major?

millie_dillmount
#7re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 11:39am

I go to BU College of Communications and I'm a freshman...what about you, what year are you in Northeastern?

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#8re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 12:12pm

Where in Boston is the show? I'm at Brandeis and I'm dying to see Urinetown.

Whatever happened to class?

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#9re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 12:28pm

Don't be the Bunny, Don't be the Stew

It was FABULOUS, definately go see it.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

musicnmath
#10re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 12:31pm

yep, it's at the Lyric which is just south of Copley on Clarendon. $10 for student tix?! I must go. I live in Cambridge, so I'll pop across the river re: Urinetown in Boston

On another note, which deserves a post of its own....i saw The Real Thing at the BU theatre last night. EXCELLENT. Can't beat Stoppard.

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#11re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 2:16pm

millie,

I'm double majoring in Music Industry and Communications and minoring in Business. I'm a 3rd year or "middler" as we like to call it.

millie_dillmount
#12re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 7:22pm

I JUST got back from seeing it...review later.

ElphabaRose:
If you're familiar with the T, take the green line to Copley. Walk down Boyleston like you are walking AWAY from the Boston Public Library. Walk until you see Clarendon Street on your right. Walk up Clarendon till you get to the intersection of Stuart and Clarendon. It is in the YWCA building on the second floor.

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#13re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 7:25pm

millie,

2 questions...

1) Was it good?

2) Did you get in for student rush price?

ElphabaRose
#14re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 7:53pm

Thanks Millie! I don't really know the T, but I can probably figure it out, or I can bring one of my hallmates who knows Boston.

What's the performance schedule?

Updated On: 9/17/05 at 07:53 PM

vgd07
#15re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/17/05 at 10:30pm

wasn't it great? my teacher, mr. chew, was lockstock

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#16re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/18/05 at 12:34am

Elphaba Rose,

To get to Boston from Brandies, you need to get to the Waltham MBTA station (the commuter rail). Take it inbound to Boston. That will get you to North Station. From North Station get on the Green Line (Subway) to Copley. There are four trains on the Green Line, the B, C, D, and E. It doesn't matter which you take, as they all stop at copley. Just make sure you go to the inbound platform. Copley should be the 6th stop.

crzyrocket Profile Photo
crzyrocket
#17re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/18/05 at 1:21am

Hi, I'm in the Boston area as well. Someone told me that on Tuesday (Sept 20), there's a special show for college students at 7:30. Can't seem to find anything online, anyone know if this true?

"The sense that everything's going right is a sure sense that everything's going wrong." -The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#18re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/18/05 at 1:33am

that would be wonderful!

musicnmath
#19re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/18/05 at 1:56am

Millie -- stop teasing us and review already! :)

jmnpublications
#20re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:54am

While you're waiting for Millie's review, check out the BWW Boston review. It's a rave.

lc

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#21re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/18/05 at 10:14am

April of next year Urinetown will be done by this WONDERFUL theatre I know of...called Rockford College :) yay!! and one of my best friends is Hope! she's fantastic, Pennywise has a fantastic voice as well...good times....

if you are in Chicago area...hey..it's cheap and will be fantasticly done...

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

DramaDork925
#22re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/18/05 at 10:49am

Does the student price include high school students?

Am I cut out to spend my time this way?

way_to_spend_the_day Profile Photo
way_to_spend_the_day
#23re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/18/05 at 11:26am

The show was amazing! I saw it last weekend and loved it! All the leads were amazing except I didn't really care for Ms. Pennywise. She was unable to hit her high belt in "Privilage to Pee". Bobby Strong was extremely strong in his role. He sounded exactly like Hunter Foster in his singing and his acting was also extremely enjoyable. My ultimate favorite in the show was Little Sally. She had such great acting abilities and when you finally heard her sing, she completely blew me away. Her belt is so clear and I was really dissappointed I couldn't hear her sing more. Caldwell B. Cladwell was a great performer in both his character and his singing as well as Officer Lockstock. I didn't care too much for Hope. She had a very nice Soprano belt but was not very strong once she entered into the lower range. The audience loved the show. The choreography was great and the parodies of West Side, Fiddler, and Les Miz were hilarious. The set was perfect and broke barriers you wouldn't think were possible in that set pieces were able to multi-task and random elements were added throughout the show. All in all in was a great night at the Lyric. Definately a must see--absolutely wonderful!!! I want to go see it again!

***It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves. -- William Shakespeare***

ElphabaRose
#24re: Urinetown in Boston
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:57pm

schedule? anyone?

Videos