Broadway on Broadway reviews!

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#0Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:07pm

So who else was there? I had a great time!

Shows and Song list: (in alphabetical order)

Funny Girl- Overture
All Shook Up- If I Can Dream
Avenue Q- The More you Ruv someone
Beauty and the Beast- A Change in Me
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang- CCBB
The Color Purple- What About Love?
Hairspray- I Know Where I've been
In My Life- IML
Lennon- Imagine
The Light in the Piazza- Fable
The Lion King- Can you feel the love tonight
Mamma Mia- Dancing Queen
The Producer- When you got it, flaunt it
Rent- Seasons of Love
Sweet Charity- Big Spender
Spelling Bee- Why We Like Spelling
Wicked- For Good

My favorite by far was If I can dream from All Shook Up- Cheyenne, Nikki, and Curtis sounded AMAZING! And that's not just because I am biased towards the show. I also enjoyed Dancing Queen (carolee carmello) and Seasons of Love (entire cast). Darlene Love (Hairspray) sounded great but I'm not a huge fan of the song. Stephanie and Ann were good in Avenue Q, and Imagine sounded really good as the finale (entire cast). I couldn't hear the words very well during Spelling Bee, but the entire cast (all 9 of them) were there to perform which was awesome. And Shoshana and Megan sounded great in For Good. Ashley Brown was pleasant enough in BATB, Raul and kids were good in Chitty (liked it better today than in the show), Lachanze and Elisabeth Withers had beautiful voices for Purple, the song was ok. In my life (Jessica Boevers and Christopher Hanke) was better than I expected. LITP I don't care for, but Victoria Clark sounded great! Kissy Simmons and Josh Tower were ok for Lion King, she sounded much better than he did though. Angie Schworer was great as Ulla for the Producers, but the song wasn't anything special, they have so many better songs they could have done. Big Spender was the opening song, Christina Applegate came out and sang the end with the rest of the cast, looked and sounded good.

I think I got all of them, sorry for the short sentences- I'll let others give better reviews.
Updated On: 9/18/05 at 02:07 PM

Alix7272 Profile Photo
Alix7272
#1re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:13pm

thanks! can't wait to hear more.

No Child: http://www.epictheatrectr.org/
I Love You Because OCR: http://www.psclassics.com/cd_iloveyou.html
Updated On: 9/18/05 at 02:13 PM

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#2re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:22pm

Victoria Clark sounded amazing. I want to have her children..

Ashley Brown was great, and really sweet - I talked to her afterwards.

I thought closing with Imagine was perfect.

I laughed all the way through In My Life...

And, I'm in love with Raul.

It was great. Got there at 6:30am and ended up right in front of the stage, so it was worth it. But boy am I exhausted now..

PJ
#3re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:27pm

Victoria Clark was far and away my favorite performance. And I'm not a fan of "For Good," but Megan and Shoshana sounded very good.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:28pm

Wait, Christina performed in BIG SPENDER?

ihearttheater
#5re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:34pm

Yes, Christina was added into Big Spender. It was the best number from the show to do for that venue, and I'm sure they didn't want the show to go on without Christina singing. She slid in between the girls toward the end of the song.

HOW CUTE IS SHE?!

And where was Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Chicago?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:37pm

Wow, that's awesome she sang with BIG SPENDER.

I am suprised Brooke didn't perform with Chicago. and also suprised DRS wasn't there.

JayKid Profile Photo
JayKid
#7re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:38pm

Glad people who went enjoyed it... I wasn't up to it for going, so didn't. Definetly woulda been a bit of a pain, do still wish I maybe went, oh well.

Yankeefan007
#8re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:48pm

Decent performances....Vikki Clark's was the best by far. Really unenthusiastic crowd, though.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#9re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 2:53pm

So much fun. I don't know what else there is to be said, though. I thought the performances were all pretty great. Good time, but I'm really, really tired.

The songs from both of the new shows were really pretty. I mean, maybe that's the only good one in In My Life, but I thought it was pretty. And they were sung by very, very talented people, of course. re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!

Quick sidenotes: Raul was fantastic. Enthusiastic, charming, excellent. I honestly didn't expect him to bother coming at all. Ashley Brown has a beautiful voice. And the Bee cast - they're too adorable for words.

I'll post my pictures later.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 9/18/05 at 02:53 PM

GirlfriendFromCanada
#10re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:02pm

I thought the whole thing was kind of lackluster. What was up with all the shows doing the slower, less upbeat songs? It didn't get the crowd into it at all. It seemed like every show went with a more sensitive ballad instead of something fun that would really make people want to see the show. Ending it all with Lennon was nice though, was especially excited to see Mark Richard Ford singing a bit of it!

PJ
#11re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:18pm

I especially loved the confetti at the end.

luvtheEmcee
#12re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:19pm

Confetti's just happy.

elphieisperky
#13re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:25pm

I just got back, and I've never been so exhausted! I'm so tired, I forgot the real order the songs were in, so I'll just go by the program. Here's my review:

Funny Girl Overture: Beautiful, very powerful.

If I Can Dream-All Shook Up: Pretty good, I wasn't paying enough attention because I was calling someone.

The More You Ruv Someone-Avenue Q: Very cute. I've never seen this show, always wanted to. Ann Harada has an amazing voice! And Stephanie was outstanding.

A Change in me-Beauty and the Beast: Pretty song, and Ashley Brown was perfect.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: For some reason I got major chills. But anyway, it was great, I loved Raul's little dance! And he's like, "pretend that we have a car!"

What About Love-The Color Purple: Amazing! I hope the show is that good!

I Know Where I've Been-Hairspray: My dad cried, I think. Darlene Love is great, she gave me goosebumps.

In My Life: Me and my dad both think this show's going to go off almost as soon as it comes off. But I guess I was impressed, Jessica Boevers was pretty good.

Imagine-Lennon: Chills all over. Everyone around me was ticked that it's closing soon. But beautiful song.

Fable-Light in the Piazza: Victoria Clark is excellent! I've also never seen this show, but it looks great.

Can You Feel the Love Tonight-Lion King: Beautiful, I loved it. Both of them, Josh Tower and Kissy Simmons, are great.

Dancing Queen-Mamma Mia: My dad hates ABBA, so this was a perfect song to annoy him. One of the three girls, I don't know her name, held a camera up to the audience and took our picture. It was cute.

When You've Got It, Flaunt It-Producers: Wow, Angie Schworer can sing! I saw her understudy when I saw the Producers, so I was glad she was there. Great voice.

Seasons of Love-Rent: I think I lost my voice, I was screaming so loud! Amazing, I sang though the whole thing, and video taped it! Yay! Frenchie was wonderful, like usual.

Big Spender-Charity: I loved when Christina popped up! Cute. Great number.

Why We Like Spelling-Spelling Bee: Their mikes went out halfway through the song, so they had to start over. But it was adorable, once I again another show I have to see.

For Good-Wicked: Yay! This was great. I've never heard Megan sing yet, so I was very pleased. Shoshana was amazing, as always. And the two had great chemistry.

Overall amazing show. Anyone there was lucky, and those who weren't, go next year, or sometime!

Updated On: 9/18/05 at 03:25 PM

luvtheEmcee
#14re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:46pm

I took a ton of photos, but I'll post them bit by bit.

First batch...

The lovely host and hostess:

re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!

Sweet Charity:

BSoBW2
#15re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:48pm

Thanks, EM!

luvtheEmcee
#16re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:50pm

All Shook Up:

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#17re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:51pm

Hooray ASU! Great pictures!

BSoBW2
#18re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:54pm

ASU!

luvtheEmcee
#19re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:55pm

Spelling Bee:

greenifyed Profile Photo
greenifyed
#20re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:57pm

These pictures are so happy! Thanks for posting them.

"The tick BOOM tick BOOM is so loud I can't hear the rain on the grass. I can't hear the wind. I'm about to scream. But I realize I'm not alone."

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#21re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 3:58pm

I had A BLAST!!! I thought the crowd was very enthusiastic ,especially with RENT and Lennon. Very VERY fun day!!!

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

luvtheEmcee
#22re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 4:00pm

RENT:

Avenue Q:

BSoBW2
#23re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 4:01pm

Ann!

Let's go Darlene!

Alix7272 Profile Photo
Alix7272
#24re: Broadway on Broadway reviews!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 4:04pm

yay for pictures!

does anyone remember what jesse's shirt said?

No Child: http://www.epictheatrectr.org/
I Love You Because OCR: http://www.psclassics.com/cd_iloveyou.html

Videos