Sweeney- Squeamish factor?

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#0Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 8:18pm

I am extremely squeamish and do not like blood or violence at all (especially in tv and movies).

How much blood and gross stuff is there in Sweeney Todd? I've never seen it because of the content, and am trying to decide if I can sit through the current production.

thenextfiyero Profile Photo
thenextfiyero
#1re: Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 9:00pm

Sweeny Todd, I’m not going to lie its kind of freaky. I can tell you some parts that you might not like

Sweeny Todd slices up a fellow barber. He puts him in a chest. Which later Joanna hides away in.

Sweeny Todd slits several men's throats. You see blood at the neck, but not gushing everywhere.

You see towns people eating the meet pies. (meet=people)

A petrified boy is locked away in the basement where the pies are made. A body falls down the chute and he is frightened. He is physically shocked. He finds the meet grinder and sees like fingernails, strains of hair, etc.

Joanna is put away in a mental asylum and its pretty creepy.

I hope this helps. Overall its a really good horrific show. I enjoyed it. You really only see blood when Sweeny slices his customers. Its pretty nasty too. The music is incredible and I really like the story, it keeps you on the edge of your seat.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#2re: Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 9:06pm

Oy!

corsairstw Profile Photo
corsairstw
#3re: Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 9:11pm

But mmmmMMMM! Those meat pies sure do taste good!

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#4re: Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 9:12pm

fiyero - you just made me REALLY want to see this show!! ..I hope I don't seem like a morbid person now lol..it just seems a lot more interesting than I thought.

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 9:13pm

I'm very squeamish, and I scare very easily... but I don't want to miss out on this because I'm a wimp.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#6re: Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 9:14pm

In the revival, when he slits their throats, a cast member pours a bucket of blood into another bucket. There's no blood actually coming from the person who's been killed.

The scene with Pirelli's body hidden in the chest has been cut. So has Tobias seeing the Beadle's body.

I wouldn't say it's a much a squeamish factor, per se. More just plain creepy.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#7re: Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 9:14pm

Emcee, you go first and then let me know how it is!

DramaDork925
#8re: Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 9:21pm

I NEED to get up to NYC to see this!!!

Am I cut out to spend my time this way?

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#9re: Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 9:28pm

Dude, sure there's blood and killing but, honestly... to anyone who has not seen this musical...

THIS MUSICAL IS GENIUS!

It's absolutely brilliant. It's morbid as hell and geezus it's creepy at parts, but PLEASE let me emphasize... this show is NOT about blood and guts. It's so much more beyond that. You'll find yourself laughing (with the rest of the audience) when people are killed and eaten.

It's absolute brilliance. Don't even worry about being squeamish because that card isn't even played. It's very enjoyable. And you know what? I think we've just sparked the topic for Week #2 Appreciation! THANKS

Broadway_Baby Profile Photo
Broadway_Baby
#10re: Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 9:43pm

Take this into consideration (also coming from a squeemish person):
The material is considered innapropriate for children 8 and under...I'm hoping that if a 9 year old (supposedly) can handle it, we can too!

I do understand your concern though, I was wondering the same thing.

Honey, I don't produce theater. I am theater.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#11re: Sweeney- Squeamish factor?
Posted: 10/4/05 at 9:49pm

I always found it ironic that despite the fact that I'm somewhat squeamish myself, "Sweeney" is my favorite musical.

Videos