pixeltracker

"The First 80 Years Are The Hardest"

"The First 80 Years Are The Hardest"

Dollypop
#0"The First 80 Years Are The Hardest"
Posted: 10/16/05 at 2:53pm

I saw Carol Channing's show at Feinstein's last night and was completely captivated! It's a small room and Carol makes her entrance through the restaurant, shaking hands with the guests and blowing kisses to everyone.

She tells tales of her experiences in show business, sometimes prompted by her husband who sits in the crowd. As Carol talks of various celebrities, she does dead-on impersonations of them: Yul Brynner, Ethel Merman, Sophie Tucker...and the beloved Cecilia Sisson. Yes, she sings, backed up by a three piece combo and performs songs from GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, HELLO, DOLLY! (which becomes an audience sing-along!) and "Razzle Dazzle". It's an incredibly wonderful experience and I not only smiled throughout the show, but shed more than just a few happy tears! What a wonderful evening!

My visit with Carol afterwards was warm and wonderful. She is truly theatrical royalty!

I'm paying a return visit next weekend.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 10/16/05 at 02:53 PM

FalsettosFan Profile Photo
FalsettosFan
#1re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/16/05 at 3:06pm

Ms. Channing is such a legend! Love her!

Dollypop
#2re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/16/05 at 6:58pm

She does a bit of dancing in this show and she still moves like a feather. Hard to believe she's 84 years old.

peterjoshua Profile Photo
peterjoshua
#3re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/16/05 at 11:49pm

So glad to hear you loved Carol's show!! I got to see it a couple of months ago when she performed it for us here in Austin. Rarely have I seen a performer so completely win over an audience right from the top and keep them there thru the entire show. And you're so right -- you'd never know she's 84. I'm so happy for her and Harry!

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#4re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/17/05 at 12:00am

Carol Channing is absolutely Magical! Not many even near that age even up for a show, let alone shinning as Miss Channing is. The saddest thing in the world is to have to sit in an audience watching anyones "Sun Set", But like the title of this show, The Lady still commands her audience and is still in good humor and total control. She deserves a specail award for this, And I am happy that they replaced her Tony's that were stolen - I simply cannot imagine a creep who would steal a Legend's Tony Awards from her, That is LOW. Still, Come what may, She shines and is always a pure Class Act. I tip the hat to CC!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#5re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/17/05 at 12:03am

Oh, I forgot to say Congrats on her pregnancy! You know, wanna be's walk around thinking they can give birth, But legends like Carol DO INDEED!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

etoile
#6re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/17/05 at 2:46am

It was a magical night. And she proved that once a dancer always a dancer. She held the audience in the palm of her hand. She was deft with her comedy didn't miss a beat.

I understand why Dollypop refers to her as The Goddess Carol.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#7re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/17/05 at 4:59am

I did desire to go on record that one of my all time favorites is Cecilia Sisson!! An absolute HOOT no matter how many times you see her!!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#8re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/17/05 at 9:28am

i saw this at BB King's on 42nd street a few months ago and LOVED it. I am Carol's youngest fan and I think she is brilliant. I'm pretty sure I was the only 23 year old in America listening to "So Long Dearie" on my iPod this morning. LOL.

Dollypop
#9re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 7:27pm

Carol Channing is now doing the pre-recorded reminder to shut off your cellphones at MUSICAL OF MUSICALS.

I loves me my Carol.

Updated On: 10/19/05 at 07:27 PM

Caitlin
#10re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 7:42pm

I'm SO glad the show is as amazing as one would think it would be. I'm going to tommorrow night as a birthday present. And hey, WithoutATrace, I'm a HUGE Carol Channing fan and I'm only sixteen...not a lot of my friends get it haha. BUT UGH she just embodies the spirit of a performer...so amazing. I can not tell you how excited I am for tommorrow. Oh and Dollypop, how'd you get to meet Carol?? Thats absolutely elephantastic!

Dollypop
#11re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 7:46pm

It's "elephantastic"?

Well, I'm an elephant.

Updated On: 10/19/05 at 07:46 PM

Caitlin
#12re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 7:53pm

haha sorry that's just my word for ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND AWESOME...pretty much just used so I don't have to use the caps. But like, what did you talk about? I'm so interested. I would give so much to meet Carol.

Dollypop
#13re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 8:47pm

Whatever happened adjectives like: marvelous, splendid, sensational, sublime, enjoyable, imaginative, creative, compelling, engaging, auspicious, and impressive?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#14re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 8:51pm

Dollypop,
I thought the title of the thread was refering to your autoboigraphy. ( he-he)

I am glad you enjoyed it. I saw her perform what sounds like a similar show last year at the gay and lesbian center and she was fabulous.. And she posed for a pic with me and Iris.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#15re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 9:06pm

It's so hard to find a word to begin to try to do Miss Channing any justice, She is a true "Star" and "Lady" with so much "Class, Dignity, Style & Grace", She is also a HOOT! I just love her!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#16re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 9:19pm

caitlin, you beat me...i'm 23. good for you! Carol Channing is incredible!!!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#17re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 9:23pm

I will say.. we loved her.. and she was incredible...but one critisim.. and I mean this in the most loving way....

She could have used a breath mint.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#18re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 9:29pm

Awww, I love Carol Channing! On music-choice (24hours BWAY) they just did Hello Dolly, she's such a star. The biggest, brightest smile on Broadway. God bless her!

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#19re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 10:39pm

The diva reigns. A true original.

Is there still hope that this may find its way to B'way?

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#20re: 'The First 80 Years Are The Hardest'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 10:41pm

I would love to see this, and in a intimate room too! I envy you all. Now if we can only get her to Australia again!

Videos