Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:15pm

Here's Broadway.com

Bwayworld

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#1re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:20pm

Amusing that Gilbert and Sullivan were invoked, as Michael Ball did just do "Patience" over at City Opera... And his Fosco was essentially his Reginald Bunthorne....

Yankeefan007
#2re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:28pm

that video was horrible.

thebigkrakowski Profile Photo
thebigkrakowski
#3re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:30pm

It's going to be a loooooooooooong night.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#4re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:33pm

I felt so bored watching that video.

The supposed "highlight" of the show was clunky at best. The only thing that I really liked the sound of was Maria's big song.

I hope the show is better than the preview because...bleh.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:35pm

The animated backdrop is so STUPID.

ALL FOR LAURA is a great song, they should've shown more of it.

The only way I would see this show is if Ruthie Henshall came here to replace Maria like she did on the Westend, but the chances of that happening is not likely!

YayJudyYayJudy Profile Photo
YayJudyYayJudy
#6re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:36pm

it was just a lot of clips that don't exactly fit well together. Do not base the show on that, please!

And yes, agreed it will be a very very long night, haha... Happy Opening Night Woman in White!

- the video does NOT do the backdrops justice, in person, however, they are extremely impressive and effective

proudly changing my name frequently since 2004

chances are AndyF is posting above or below me...

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]
Updated On: 11/17/05 at 06:36 PM

jo
#7re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:39pm

>>>Amusing that Gilbert and Sullivan were invoked, as Michael Ball did just do "Patience" over at City Opera... And his Fosco was essentially his Reginald Bunthorne....<<<

As Michael Ball first interpreted the Count Fosco role in London early this year ( which I saw ), perhaps it is the other way around. His "Reginald Bunthorne" ( which I also saw) was probably inspired by his interpretation of the deceptively charming (but villainous) "Count Fosco" ?

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#8re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:40pm

I would hope so Yay. Because from that clip, it looks amateurish at best.

We'll see...

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#9re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:41pm

Gee, am I the only one who liked that video? The sound quality was bad, though.

I think that this review is an omen of bad things to come... OK, Vinnie. You're right.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel
Updated On: 11/17/05 at 06:41 PM

YayJudyYayJudy
#10re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:43pm

Stop!!! No omens yet!! Let whatever should happen, happen... I'm nervous enough as it is, haha

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#11re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:44pm

quite true, jo.

VinnieTheIceman Profile Photo
VinnieTheIceman
#12re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:45pm

Jo, I warned everyone these reviews would be miserable. This is the season of Jersey Boys right now at least until Color Purple and Tarzan open. It's a shame...WIW is enjoyable to some extent...I'm not sure it will be by the time you see it the third time though.

MargoChanning
#13re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:47pm

Talkin Broadway is mixed-to-positive:

"The Woman in White, which just opened at the Marquis, proves, the composer has finally learned how to fight back. Yes, indeed - he's found a way to insinuate himself back into the public taste with a show that miraculously manages to be completely new while feeling like both a revival and a jukebox musical (if one of 19th-century extraction)! If this show is, for all intents and purposes, a revival of an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical and a jukebox collection of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Greatest Hits (or what sounds like them), does that matter?

Set designer William Dudley (also responsible for costumes and video) has gone all out in defining every location that can possibly appear on the three blank-canvas panels that rotate almost continuously in search of scenic satisfaction.

While this is occasionally effective - as in the use of a pastoral setting in the first act that includes running water - too many effects just look silly, and could be achieved more effectively through simpler means. But that's Lloyd Webber for you: Be it a soaring tire, a crashing chandelier, or a flying mansion, you often get more than you absolutely need. His musicals have always thrived on excess, whether of music, high belting, or scenic design, and to settle for anything less would be more ordinary than even a commonplace entertainment like The Woman in White could bear.

Dudley's work, however, is unquestionably innovative; it feels as new and fresh as the rest of this show does familiar. One might wish for a stronger focus on story and character, but it probably won't be hard for this show's target audience of Lloyd Webber's ardent, unquestioning fans to make that happen by doing some projection of their own.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/WomanInWhite.html

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 11/17/05 at 06:47 PM

BSoBW2
#14re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 6:56pm

I liked the video and cannot wait for this show.

RentBoy86
#15re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 7:01pm

I think it will get good reviews, and either way, I think it will be a hit.

I can't wait to see the "pinnacle backdrop" of the show. lol. I want someone to tell me, but at the same time I dont lol. Oh well.

If you want a better video go to The Real Useful Group site and it gives like an 8minute breakdown of the show.

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#16re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 7:04pm

I dont' know what Talkin Broadway is talking about when they say it is a jukebox musical. It is about as far from jukebox as you can get in my view.

I thought the video was really good. Ball is so amazing in that role, or at least he was hysterical in London.

I love the sets, and don't see what people are complaining about. It allows the viewer to use his or her imagination more to imagine the setting while at the same time providing some eye candy for the audience.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#17re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 7:04pm

Would you say Bway.com is mixed?

Yankeefan007
#18re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 7:07pm

mixed to negative

Pink
#19re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 7:09pm

anyone got the times yet???

jo
#20re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 7:10pm

Vinnie,

I have been holding my breath since you shared what you've heard re: Woman in White Reviews...

You know me - dogged, determined, and wouldn't mind travelling a day's journey ( on a plane) to see something I like. The first time I see the show on Broadway will be my third time to see this show - and I don't think my enjoyment will be any less.

What are you doing here - didn't you attend Opening Night re: Woman in White Reviews...

Jo

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#21re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 7:10pm

You cannot generalize about the quality of the show based on two reviews. It might not be your cup of tea, but if you haven't seen it yet, and you are basing the public's reaction to the show on reviews, you are completely ignorant. The show had very mixed reviews in London yet it has been extremely successful. It's been extremely successful here as well. And what are reviews anyway but the opinion of a select few who wanted to be professional actors but failed?

I don't think this should be a basis for anyone's own personal enjoyment or hatered of the show.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#22re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 7:11pm

The Times isn't up yet.

YayJudyYayJudy
#23re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 7:12pm

actually, you shouldn't generalize about the quality of a show based on anyone's review... 2 or 22

Updated On: 11/17/05 at 07:12 PM

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#24re: Woman in White Reviews...
Posted: 11/17/05 at 7:12pm

That's what I was saying.

Videos