pixeltracker

Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!

Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!

Dollypop
#0Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/18/05 at 4:59pm

At lunch today a colleague mentioned that casting had been complete for the Papermill Playhouse's upcoming production of HELLO, DOLLY! Does anyone know the details? I can't get into their website.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/18/05 at 5:13pm

I'd be curious to know too. Wasn't Jennifer Holliday the big rumor for a while?

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#2re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/18/05 at 5:14pm

From a VERY reliable source.... casting is nowhere near complete, if even begun....

Doug

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#3re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/18/05 at 5:15pm

Dollypop- You didn't hear, Carol Channing is going to reprise the role.

Just kidding! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 11/18/05 at 05:15 PM

Gothampc
#4re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/18/05 at 5:34pm

From a VERY reliable source, it's Barbra Streisand. Perfectionist that she is, she wants one more crack at it.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#5re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/18/05 at 5:46pm

Gotham -- who's that source? whateverman?

LOLOLOL

". . . POP . . ."

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/18/05 at 5:57pm

I heard Oprah is playing select performances.

DramaDork925
#7re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/18/05 at 6:14pm

And of course Britney Spears...

Am I cut out to spend my time this way?

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#8re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/18/05 at 6:19pm

I vote for Harvey Firestein! Crazy thing is that it wouldn't be the first time a man played the role!

grizzabella
#9re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:46am

While I can't imagine anything worse than Harvey Fierstein in the part, I'm curious. Where and when did a man play this role? Was it in a spoof, or for real? Details, Flahooley? Please?

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#10re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 1:35am

Danny LaRue played Dolly! on London's West End.

It was the first time in theatrical history that the part of 'Dolly' had been played by a man and the first time that a man has played a female role in a major musical.

Danny's "Hello Dolly" opened in Birmingham 1982 for a season before transferring to the Prince of Wales Theatre.

for more

Danny's site

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing
Updated On: 11/19/05 at 01:35 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#11re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 2:39am

I actually thinkn this role is great for a man to play, and if only Fierstein's voice was more...normal, his acting is great but his voice fits other roles but not Dolly Levi. I wonder if the Jennifer Holliday rumor is true. I'd love to see Bernadette Peters as Dolly too.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Urban
#12re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 2:54am

I don't think Bernie would 'do Jersey'.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#13re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 3:15am

Dollypop. didn't you hear, it's Loretta Switt.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#14re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 3:23am

at Papermill, We just better hope it's not Joyce DeWitt!!! UGH! It's probably Betty Buckley or Loretta Switt - although I'd like to see a Dolly of colour again! Bring on Miss Holiday! Worst case - it would be Lorna Luft or Rosilyn Kind, LOL!!!!!!!!!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#15re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 3:41am

I don't think Bernie would 'do Jersey'.

What the hell is wrong with New Jersey? The Papermill Playhouse is a gorgeous and professional theatre that mounts amazing regional productions.

Don't knock my state please. A lot of famous people have come from NJ, thank you very much.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#16re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 3:45am

I don't think Urban was bashing Jersey, probably he/she meant that some actors of Peters' caliber would think that doing anything that's not on a Broadway stage is not worthy...I don't know. Many people consider the Paper Mills production of Follies better than the Broadway revival so I don't see why Bernadette Peters wouldn't "do Jersey."

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#17re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 4:00am

Ann Margret LOVES NJ and she hasn't done DOLLY yet! I'll buy a ticket! Too bad Annie Miller's gone, She would have tap danced the hell out of that role and possibly did somewhere in her career. I suppose Liza is out of the question, huh?

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#18re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 11:05am

Dramadork- that was funny

i think Carol Channing should reprise the role. but instead of tap dancing, she could swing her cane everywhere.
I just saw her in Thouroughly Modern Millie (the movie) and she was so funny. RASPBERRIES!!!!!

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

grizzabella
#19re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 11:09am

Dolly_Levy, thank you for the information and for the link. The production must have been fascinating, if definitely unusual.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

Jon
#20re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:06pm

I heard it was Faith Prince.

EadieWasALady Profile Photo
EadieWasALady
#21re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 5:12pm

I look forward to this. I love this show.

Dollypop
#22re: Papermill's Upcoming HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 11/19/05 at 5:50pm

I visited with Carol Channing a few weekends ago and she never mentioned anything about reprising the role of Dolly. (How I wish it were true, though!). Instead, she's becoming something of a lobbyist to get more funding for theater programs for California universities.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Videos