#0"Wicked" in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 4:13pm

Don't think this had been posted yet.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/96779.html

NYSinger1 Profile Photo
NYSinger1
#1re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 5:51pm

I actually think it is going to have trouble in London. I don't think they have the same affinity for the story as we do. They also might see through the poor book and music.

(I am a huge Wicked fan...dispite itself)

Fosse76
#2re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 5:54pm

If they can still suffer through the horrendousness that is The Phantom of the Opera, Wicked should have clear sailing (with regards to the poor music/book claims).

#3re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 6:06pm

i agree fosse..and i think ruthie henshall will star...

Adjie Profile Photo
Adjie
#4re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 6:13pm

I agree - definately a Ruthie vehicle.

#5re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 6:23pm

i heart ruthie...she is a DOLL ..she would be amazing in Wicked!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 6:27pm

Ruthie is amazing. Her voice may be just too classical for Elphaba.

But I'm sure she'd be great.

RentBoy86
#7re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 6:31pm

I think since this show is such a hit over here that it wont have any problem in London. I think sheer curiousity will help the show for the first couple of months at least. Plus, I think the Apollo Vic has the cooliest Marquee ever! Wish we had cool ones like that. its so modern looking.

#8re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 6:31pm

did you get to see her in Miss Saigon? she didn't sound too classical there...she was amazing!!
has anyone else noticed...it seems like a lot of the London casts aren't as "pop" as the american casts even when a show calls for it. so her version would be a perfect london version IF she was more classical. i think in london they are actors first...then singers...the acting is more important to them.
this is a GENERAL comment so don't come yelling at me about specific people..there are always exceptions! =)

BSoBW2
#9re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 6:34pm

They should quite while they are ahead.

The Wizard of Oz is as American as Applie Pie. All those jokes will get lost.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#10re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 6:59pm

Yeah the Brits just can't stand the Wizard Of Oz. There's no following for it at all here in the UK.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

BSoBW2
#11re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 7:05pm

Exactly.

Do they even know who Judy Garland is?

popcultureboy
#12re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 7:07pm

No. Never heard of her.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

BSoBW2
#13re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 7:09pm

See, Marc Platt!

What are you doing!?

RYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
#14re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 8:49pm

There is a following for Wicked in the UK. The CD has been very popular over here for musical-singer trainees and fans. I think a big West End name would be good to push the English into trusting the show (like Ruthie playing Elphie or Elaine Paige playing Madamme Morrible)

popcultureboy
#15re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 8:54pm

I was of course being deeply sarcastic but in all seriousness, if they allow Maria Friedman, Ruthie Henshall, Jo Riding or Elaine Paige within 50 feet of the London production of Wicked, I will throw up.

#16re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 9:07pm

I agree with you guys. I don't think Wicked will take off nearly as big as it has here. The fan base just wont be nearly as big. I talked to some of my friends over there involved in theater (my dad lives there) and they don't think it will last very long. Who knows though maybe it will suprise us haha. I sure hope not though. The last thing I want to see is the Wicked cd with the London cast. Im sure they will be great, I just think we've all had enough wicked haha.

RentBoy86
#17re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/12/05 at 9:38pm

Are they making any changes in the show?

out of all of the recent announced transfers who do you think will last? Hairspray, Q, Movin' Out - though limited can still close early - Wicked.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#18re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/13/05 at 6:34am

...if they allow Maria Friedman, Ruthie Henshall, Jo Riding or Elaine Paige within 50 feet of the London production of Wicked, I will throw up.

I actually like all the people you've mentioned, but agree they would be completely unsuitable (though seeing Elaine Paige as Morrible could be . . . entertaining). Maybe they should go for relative unknowns; the talent is there, but they need a break and this show could be it. I wasn't impressed by the Broadway production (though that was mainly the direction and choreography), but I'll give it another go when it opens over here

With the right marketing and careful showcasing of the best songs on certain television shows, I think it could be a hit, but our overall awareness of the Wizard of Oz certainly isn't as strong as in appears to be in the US...

rohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
#19re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/13/05 at 7:02am

I think that Ruthie is TOTALY wrong for the show! dont get me wrong but i am a huge ruthie fan and think she is absolutly fantastic but all the people you have said are (i feel) sadly to old to play either of the two leads. My personal oppinion is that it should be Maz Murry. saw her in both Fame as mable and We Will Rock You as killer queen, she has exactly the right voice for Elphaba, we may not be as "pop" as broadway but she is as close as you can get, good acting with an amazing belt in her voice! weather the show will last i dont know but it will deff start off well it does have a big following overhear already although that is mainly within the theatre industry its self.

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#20re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/13/05 at 12:21pm

Linzi Hately(sp?) would make a great Elphaba!!! I love her on the Secret Garden CD, and of course she was amazing in Carrie! And lord knows she would never do it, but Judi Dench as Morrible? How awesome would that be???

RYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
#21re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/13/05 at 12:36pm

Id say Lindsay and Ruthie are too old to pkay Elphaba now...

Reportedly Jenna Lee James (of We Will Rock You) has been looked at and Idina reprising. Id love to see Emma Williams (org. Truly in london and orginal cast member of Uk Bat Boy) play Glinda.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#22re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/13/05 at 12:45pm

Please don't take this as a bashing because that's not how it's meant, but why does everyone think Ruthie is so wonderful? Her jaw is always clenched when she sings and, therefore, her voice sounds tight.

". . . POP . . ."

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#23re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/13/05 at 12:46pm

I'm not really all that familiar with West End talent so I'm sort of looking up these names as you make suggestions. Any West End actors you'd see as Fiyero or Boq??

RentBoy86
#24re: 'Wicked' in London
Posted: 12/13/05 at 2:27pm

I'm not sure the awareness of the Wizard of Oz had much to do with the fact that it was a hit over here. I'm sure it brought in a lot of people, but for people like me, I couldn't care less. I was more drawn to the fact that I loved the score. I thought the songs were great and very "hummable." That's how all my friends got hooked, they just heard "Defying Gravity" and then they were hooked. So, with the right marketing and the showcase of the best songs of the show, it will indeed be a hit.

Videos