pixeltracker

Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?

Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?

futurewinnerbud
#0Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 7:10pm

I saw Drowsy Chaperone last night and truly thought it was the best musical I have ever seen. It was just... so impressive. There was not a single weak chain in the show, and the writing was hillarious. So many people I know absolutely hated it (for reasons like a weak book and the show's message falling flat, and the biggest one- the misuse of Kecia Lewis-Evans).

So is this show coming to Broadway? I've heard rumors going both ways, and I really hope it does. It'll be a true shame if it doesnt.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 7:12pm

Rumors have been circulating and a transfer is most likely going to be inevitable since it got pretty favorable reviews and its quite a hit. An official announcement for a Broadway transfer, however, is yet to be made.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#2re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 7:19pm

When Sutton came out of the stage door earlier this month she said it would be going to NY. If anyone knew, you would think she would.

I would not say that it is the "best show ever", but it is a lot of fun and really entertaining. Definately worth seeing.

apdarcey
#3re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 7:21pm

um, i haven't heard any negative reviews... where is that coming from? also, i've heard it's not so much misuse of kecia, but underuse. where she's used it's brilliant, but her role is small (as necessary from the book i gather...)

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#4re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 7:48pm

Rumor has it that its eyeing the Music Box. Not sure when though.

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

apdarcey
#5re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:07pm

apparently festen is going into the music box. NOT drowsy.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#6re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:16pm

Weak book??? Who are those friends of yours? Honestly, I know there are (a few) people who don't "get" this show, but the audiences all three times I've seen it have been tumultuous in their laughter and applause. The reviews were almost unanimously positive. Even people who don't like musicals love this show. And Kecia...yes her part is (deliberately) small, but it's an ensemble show, and everyone gets his/her time in the spotlight.

YouWantitWhen????
#7re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:20pm

Ensemble is the word . . .

I would argue that Sutton is also underused in the show - except it is an ensemble show so better to see Sutton in an ensemble show than nothing at all.

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#8re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:21pm

when is the show closing in l.a.? i am moving out there in two weeks and would love to catch a performance of it.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#9re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:22pm

Sorry, it closes Saturday. re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Check out my webpage, linked below, for musicals which will be playing at that time.
Updated On: 12/22/05 at 08:22 PM

apdarcey
#10re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:22pm

also, it's nice to see what sutton and kecia can bring to stuff for only a little bit with nuanced character performances rather than having the whole character planned out in a big role. sometimes smaller roles are a lot more entertaining you know!

John3 Profile Photo
John3
#11re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:23pm

I am seeing it tonight. I am excited. It is going to be great.

futurewinnerbud
#12re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 9:49pm

yeah I think the book went straight over a few of my friend's heads. They hated the framing device of the show (a musical theater geek looking back on an old-fashioned musical), which I thought was one of the most original ideas I've ever heard. Bob Martin was HYSTERICAL! Wow...

My big problem with Kecia's role in the show (as well as a few others, like Eddie Korbich's role, George) was that there was so much more... potential for them to shine. I wanted to see more of them. But I guess that was a choice of the creative team, and I think that if there were too much for them to do it would take away from the ensemble appeal of the show. In Kecia's situation, it was just akward when she walked out in the beginning, and then just walked out in the end. She was great though.

I must say though that Beth Leavel stole the show. Sutton was great, but Beth was perfect as the chaperone. I'd say if this get's to broadway this season, it's between her and Sutton for the Tony for featured performance. Her in the beginning of the "Act 2" segment of the show was maybe the funniest thing I have ever seen. I have never cried from laughing for so long.

YouWantitWhen????
#13re: SPOILERS - Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 10:26pm

I personally really liked the framing technique.

I thought it made the musical come to life in ways it would not had it been done in other ways.

SPOILER ALERT

I also loved the beginning of Act 2 - I thought that was just hilarious putting a wrong record in the sleeve and coming up with the Chinese themed musical - Caucasions have problems with Asians, or somethig like that . . .

And the power going out during the final number also made me laugh.

SPOILER END

If it had been a straigh musical, without the commentary and context it would have not been so much fun. He was the whole point of the show I thought.

I know it ends on Saturday, but I am tempted to try and get tickets tomorrow to see it again. Just so much silly fun.
Updated On: 12/22/05 at 10:26 PM

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#14re: SPOILERS - Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 10:39pm

Oooooh, you should get tickets for Saturday night, YWIW.

We can meet up again outside the theatre.

YouWantitWhen????
#15re: SPOILERS - Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 10:54pm

I may call and see if there are any left. Imagine, going to a good show with you and your honey?

Couldn't be possible!

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#16re: SPOILERS - Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:04pm

I hear that! I think it's the type of thing that could only happen right around Christmas. re: SPOILERS - Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?

TheEnchantedHunter
#17re: SPOILERS - Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:28pm

Another Broadway 'hit' with a pallid, mediocre score. It's THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE redux.

Milt C. Okedoke
Okefenokee, Florida

YouWantitWhen????
#18re: SPOILERS - Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:14am

Have you seen the production in LA?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#19re: SPOILERS - Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:25am

WOW what legs- really the little show that could- started life as a gift for a wedding party all the way to Bway now. Is Don McKellar still listed as a creator?

YouWantitWhen????
#20re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:29am

The program says Book by Bob Martin and Don McKellar.

Here is a link to the program:

http://www.taperahmanson.com/download/DCProgram.pdf

Updated On: 12/23/05 at 12:29 AM

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#21re: Is Drowsy Chaperone coming to Broadway?
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:37am

Not pallid, not mediocre. (In my opinion.) As I've stated before, the more I hear the songs, the more I like them.

Videos