pixeltracker

Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?

Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#0Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?
Posted: 12/25/05 at 10:13pm

Is it because he has a record deal, and they didn't want him involved in anything musical theatre?

Jazzysuite82
#1re: Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?
Posted: 12/25/05 at 10:28pm

I would try to do a search. This topic came up not too long ago.

andyf
#2re: Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?
Posted: 12/25/05 at 11:06pm

That's basically the story.

He had a record deal and they wouldn't let him do the SFANW recording, so Ty Taylor stepped in and more than saved the day.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

LostLeander
#3re: Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?
Posted: 12/25/05 at 11:27pm

Interestingly enough, Both Ty Taylor, AND Billy Porter graduated from CMU's Musical Theatre program in 1990.

I pass by both of their names every day.

Bizarre, no?

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?
Posted: 12/25/05 at 11:29pm

Taylor is good, but after hearing Porter's jaw-dropping "King of the World" on his live disc, I can't help but feel sad that he isn't on the recording.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#5re: Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?
Posted: 12/26/05 at 12:18am

Is Ty Taylor the Rockstar: INXS guy? That Ty Taylor? All this time and I never put that together....

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Ebonic_Singer
#6re: Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?
Posted: 12/26/05 at 12:31am

Wait a freaking second--if he was on that show and I mised it I'm going to stab myself in the face. He is beyond amazing. I am very happy he took Porter's spot and am hoping he comes back to NY with a large singing role. Preferably in the alto range where he can belt like the black female he is.

CompanyGuy Profile Photo
CompanyGuy
#7re: Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?
Posted: 12/26/05 at 1:42am

His voice is beyond amazing.
From what a friend has told me is that he could not get to the SFANW recording. JRB... not too happy with the Porter. I mean, on Billy's CD, Billy states that "King of the World" was more or less written for him... so I would be a little angered myself. But who really knows. I saw Ty in We Will Rock You in LV. He has an amazing voice, but Billy's... nuff said.

IveGottaBeME
#8re: Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?
Posted: 12/26/05 at 2:16am

Billy Porter has an amazing voice, but is also a superb actor and performer.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#9re: Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?
Posted: 12/26/05 at 8:36am

Yup, the record label story is (unfortunately) true. Billy thanks Ty in the liner notes of his one solo album to come from the deal, "Untitled", and Billy is thanked in the liner notes to Songs for a New World. I saw Billy in the role and he was phenomenal---his "King of the World" stopped the show dead.

Ty is also excellent on the album, and what is most incredible is that he recorded all of his material in one day, and never sang with the other three cast members (and still hasn't). He is indeed the guy from ROCK STAR: INXS, and starred in the Vegas production of We Will Rock You.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#10re: Why Isn't Billy Porter on the Songs for a New World recording?
Posted: 12/26/05 at 10:18am

HA! I knew it! When I was in Vegas this summer Rock Star was still on and his picture was plastered all over the city!

I just didn't realize he was the one on Songs...interesting...

As for Billy Porter - I'm very grateful for iTunes - I love the Broadway stuff, not such a fan of the gospel music on that CD - so I can chop it up as I like for my own listening pleasure :)

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Videos