ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift

broadwaygiant19122 Profile Photo
broadwaygiant19122
#0ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 4:27am

I was planning on giving the cast recording to a relative. He's interested in both musical theater and american history, its a given. However, I was curious which cast recording to give(original/revival)...the person is familiar with the musical only by name. any info is appreciated.

Plum
#1re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 4:53am

Original.

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#2re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 5:37am

If you can find a copy of The Civil War, I bet he would love that too.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#3re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 5:46am

I prefer the revival actually. I think they are both great though. The revival has a lot more dialogue than the original.

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#4re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 6:16am

The revival.

zbigner
#5re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 6:57am

Both are great, but if you have to pick 1, go with the revival. The addition of "Something Just Broke" makes a huge difference in the impact of the show. Plus, it's just a really great song.

Zack

Pass it on - Take a kid to a show.

fiatlux
#6re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 7:19am

Much as I love the original - I'd go with the revival because of the inclusion of Something Just Broke - which is a remarkable moment.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#7re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 7:32am

Another vote for the revival. "Something Just Broke" was just amazing, and the cast was outstanding.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

broadwaygiant19122
#8re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:07am

all great suggestions, thanks. i am a little biased towards the revival as i saw it just after the run began -an extraordinary night of theater.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#9re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:48am

To add my vote: go with the revival. The recording is simply more complete, and while certain performances on the OCR remain fixed in my head, those on the revival recording are uniformly good.

twogaab2
#10re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 11:17am

Either is fine, neither is preferable.

Just my opinion, I may be wrong.

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

broadwaygiant19122
#11re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 11:19am

plum,

i was wondering why you said the original versus the revival....merit of one over the other?

timote316
#12re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 11:26am

If you are putting on the show, the original, definately.

If you are just listening to enjoy, the revival.

Both have their merits, and I love both, but I think, overall, the revival is a better disk.

Jon
#13re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 1:35pm

The revival has better sound quality and the lyrics are easier to understand. Some of the voices on the original are stronger, though.

Labashier
#14re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 9:58pm

In my opinion, the original is better to appreciate the beauty of a fantastic Sondheim score, whereas the revival does a much better job of getting the show's message and feel across.

Other US History shows to look into, perhaps:
Civil War
Caroline, or Change (the Civil Rights Movement)

jsand25 Profile Photo
jsand25
#15re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:01pm

Revival- It also includes a new song. Denis O'Hare is far better than the guy in the original. I also like the version of unworthy of your love better.

corsairstw Profile Photo
corsairstw
#16re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:04pm

I'd go with the revival. "Something Just Broke" seems a little out of place, but adds a whole new angle to the events in the show that is needed.

Also, the sound quality is infinitely better.

MarkCohen
#17re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/5/06 at 12:49am

Revival.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#18re: ASSASINS QUERY--its a gift
Posted: 1/5/06 at 1:21am

revival. Both are good but the revial stands out on top.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Videos