What should I see IN CHICAGO?

Necromancer07707 Profile Photo
Necromancer07707
#0What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:10am

I'm going to be in Chicago this Sat and Sun and I'm wanting to see a show or two(not wicked), altogether not totalling $75. What should I see? Musicals are usually preferable, though I like a good stright (ha!) play every now and then.

"I am ready to disclaim my opinion, even of yesterday, even of 10 minutes ago, because all opinions are relative. One lives in a field of influences, one is influenced by everyone one meets, everything is an exchange of influences, all opinions are derivative. Once you deal a new deck of cards, you've got a new deck of cards." — Peter Brook

theatreboi11
#1re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:19am

check out www.broadwayinchicago.com

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

Necromancer07707
#2re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:23am

Anything less bland?

"I am ready to disclaim my opinion, even of yesterday, even of 10 minutes ago, because all opinions are relative. One lives in a field of influences, one is influenced by everyone one meets, everything is an exchange of influences, all opinions are derivative. Once you deal a new deck of cards, you've got a new deck of cards." — Peter Brook

theatreboi11
#3re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:24am

try some of the local theatres like Goodman....possible Chicago Shakespeare as well?

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

Necromancer07707
#4re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:31am

Again, pretty trite shows. I wish LitP was still playing...

gavrochegirl
#5re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:37am

Blue Man Group...they're great. You'll enjoy it!

What the puck?!

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#6re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:47am

when i lived there the goodman had student tickets 2 hours before the show for $12 (hence me seeing piazza 12 times) and all the broadway in chicago shows had student tickets 2 hours before the show for $25. both sold whatever hadn't sold yet in the balcony. since most of the time i went alone i get some pretty killer seats.

they also have a TKTS like place you can get half off tickets. i got my ticket for naked boys singing through them. they have 2 locations, one is in the theatre district. i CANT think of the name of the place right now though. im pretty sure its right by the borders next to the theatre wicked is in right now. just go up to a theatre and ask them, im sure they can help you. they always had 1/2 price tickets to a ton of productions that were going on in all of chicagos reg. theatres. im sure you could find some you would like to see by going there!

hope that helps! enjoy your time there!!

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#7re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:49am

Here's a good link to shows that are playing:

http://centerstage.net/theatre/

RentBoy86
#8re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 1:11am

check out theatermania.com they have a list of all the shows playing in Chicago.

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#9re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 1:16am

this is by far the BEST website!

http://www.chicagoreader.com/listings/static/listings.html

it has a list of EVERY show and a small revue. the thing about chicago theatre is there aren't as many long running shows so it's hard for us to give you ideas of what to see. find a show you know, or something that sounds good to you. read the reviews and such.

also, porchlight theatre does the best musicals. i know the secret garden is coming up soon, but not sure how soon.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#10re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 1:19am

I would suggest "The Fantasticks". It's gotten amazing reviews and my mom and sister saw it and loved it. You can find the info for it on the ChicagoReader link posted above.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#11re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 1:51am

respeck, my friend is auditioning for the porchlights urinetown this week or next week. he said its going to be an open ended run, but from what i saw on the website it looks like they do a full season of shows....you wouldnt happen to have any info on that would you?

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#12re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:15pm

kyle

Porchlight is producing Urinetown with another group, so its not really on their roster of shows. It will be an open ended run.

and I agree with GilmoreGirl 02, Come see "The Fantasticks" Presented by the Theo Ubique Theatre Co. at the No Exit Cafe in Rogers Park. Call 773.743.3355 :) Plays Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (matinees) until January 21st.:)

ah, just another day in the life of a shill.:)

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.
Updated On: 1/6/06 at 12:15 PM

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#13re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:34pm

See Chicago!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I have nothing else helpful to say. Apologies.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie

I'm not that GURL Profile Photo
I'm not that GURL
#14re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 3:05pm

This is Chicago version of TKTS -
http://www.hottix.org/

It's the best place to get discounted tickets. Enjoy your visit in our great city and PM if you want any info about cool bars and restaurants to visit while you're here!

Cheers!

"My father warned me about men and booze, but he never mentioned a word about women and cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#15re: What should I see IN CHICAGO?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:07pm

I would also check out any show at the Steppenwolf. I have seen a few shows there, and all have been phenomenal.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

Videos