JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!

#0JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:05am

I just saw a couple of numbers from JERSEY BOYS on THE TODAY SHOW and those guys are fantastic! John Lloyd Young is so charismatic. I couldn't take my eyes off him. I had no desire to see this show unti now. Bravo!

wicked_mimi
#1re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:01am

The show is AMAZING! A couple of them were way to wide awake for it being so early in the morning but they were fun. John is great but I bet I'm not the only one that is worried about his voice and the vocal strain of the part. I say the show in early December and again in mid December and now just heard him and his voice sounds a bit more strained each time. I even think he had a backup track playing at the end of the show. The guy they had playing Frankie Valli in the pre-Broadway run in CA blew his voice out... so here's hoping John is doing ok!

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#2re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:21am

John is a peach! re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
The show is worth seeing! It is so much fun.
I just bought the cd and I was exercising to it this whole week.
re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
Updated On: 1/6/06 at 10:21 AM

Brokenlizard14 Profile Photo
Brokenlizard14
#3re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:46am

Yay! I had to tape the show because of school. If I could ask, what songs did they do? I love John. He and Robert Spencer are soooo sweet. Also, does anyone know how far into the show their segment is? I have no desire to watch the rest of it, but I had to tape all three hours, just in case.

#4re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 11:25am

They performed at around 8:50 and then about an hour later. Songs included "Walk Like A Man" and "Sherry." You'll be glad you taped it!

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#5re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:13pm

I saw it last night...Mr. Lloyd Young must have decided to just take the night off to be mr. perky this morning on air. Leaving this theatre-goer seeing a mediocre understudy with no charisma or energy whatsoever! I have seen Lloyd Young's clips elsewhere, and was thrilled to finally get to see "Jersey Boys". It is not THAT "AMAZING" of a show. If John is that great in the role - he must elevate the entire show to another level because the show I saw last night was ANYTHING but Amazing. Another mediocre Juke-Box musical where the characters talk at the audience instead of an well thought script. After having listened to the CD all week long, I must say I was very dissapointed. A full review will be posted later today... re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!

#6re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 12:58pm

Now I REALLY don't want to see it. And what's with the pained, "pirate" face from the lead. I couldn't take my eyes off him, but for all the wrong reasons.

Looks like a poor imitation of a dinner theater production of "Beatlemania"

wicked_mimi
#7re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:15pm

John I think is having some vocal problems... the show is an incredible strain on the voice. As for another mediocre Jukebox musical... I've seen others and Jersey Boys is the best one and ticket sales are proving that. I even prefered it to Mamma Mia which is also a hit. I have never seen John's understudy, but the show is still great in my opinion... but John is amazing so I'm sure his absence would effect the show.

Brokenlizard14
#8re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:21pm

Well, for what it's worth, I thought the guys did amazing. They're all so adorable. I love J's whole thing with Ann Curry (Anne?). So cute. John....you could tell he had some problems with his voice, but he still did very good. What was up with "Who Loves You?" though? You could barely hear any of the guys. Did their mics cut out? Hmm...It just seemed out to me. The girls came through loud and clear. And Michael Longoria was there (I saw him a few times) so maybe it wasn't a backing track. Maybe it was Michael singing with John.

jesseeinstein
#9re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHIOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:35pm

Brokenlizard-would you be willing to upload the clips from the today show?
-Jesse
Updated On: 1/6/06 at 09:35 PM

jo
#10re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:53pm

I already have great seats in June -- but, after seeing their appearance on the TODAY SHOW ( we get a replay here in Manila), I feel somewhat disappointed and am now not really looking forward that much to seeing it onstage re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!

Maybe it looks better seeing the whole thing - but it does look like a jukebox musical ( maybe a good one, though).

irene2 Profile Photo
irene2
#11re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:03pm

It's really a great show... Don't let a few negative remarks and a 10-miunte segment on a TV news program put you off. Granted, there is always a chance you might not like it. But if the majority of posters are saying the show is great, why not go with that rather than the negative?

wicked_mimi
#12re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:43pm

Jukebox musicals have been getting a bad rep because of the couple that sucked that came out this summer. I saw a couple of those flops and went into Jersey Boys with kind of a set idea of it going to suck. And even when I ordered the tickets a couple months in advance the first time I saw it I was worried that the show might close before then... but I saw it the first time and it is sooo much better than the other shows. I couldn't wait to see it again, and even my parents who aren't Broadway people looooved it (and they despised All Shook Up, which is still their generations' music).

John did not sound by any means back to normal to me. Not compared to how I've heard him. And he def had someone singing with him when he was suppose to be singing alone in "Who Loves You" at the end there. He still did very well but I could tell it wasn't his best performance even though he gave it his best shot.

I looooved that they had the whole entire cast there though, very few shows do that. They send the main characters for the performance and everyone else gets to stay home but noone in that cast or band got to sleep in tonight!

PS... don't you love how Katie Couric is always the one to introduce and interview Broadway people. I love that she is such a big fan like so many of us are!

Brokenlizard14
#13re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:50pm

No, John was definitely not "back to normal". He's an incredible singer, and I hope whatever is going on, that it'll be ok in March when I FINALLY get to see the show.

Didn't the rest of the guys sound amazing though? I was so excited when they did "Cry For Me" even if they didn't do the whole thing. Daniel Reichard's voice just kills me.

rebels Profile Photo
rebels
#14re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 11:09pm

I thought the whole cast did a great job this morning--they are an extremely charismatic & talented cast! Katie Couric was having a great time with them! (Wish they'd sing me "Happy Birthday"!)

But honestly--this segment on the Today Show did not come close to what you'll see when you go to the August Wilson Theater. So, Jo, please don't be disappointed or not be looking forward to the upcoming show. You'll love it! I saw it in November & just got tickets for the summer! Jersey Boys Rocks!!

A Four Seasons fan site has uploaded the Today Show segments from the Today Show (and lots of other Jersey Boys TV appearances). Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.genuine-imitation-life-gazette.com/JB.html

Jersey Boys Blog: www.jerseyboysblog.com

Brokenlizard14
#15re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 11:20pm

So, has anyone been blessed enough to meet the guys? I'm definitely going to stage door when I see it.

I've talked to J. Robert and John through e-mail and they're unbelievably sweet, but I was wondering what they're all like in real life. It'll only be my second stage door experience in my life (the first was at Wicked in Chicago) and I'm really nervous.

irene2 Profile Photo
irene2
#16re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 11:46pm

Hey, rebels, thanks for posting that link. I missed the interview this morning, but just watched it thanks to you. I think they did a great job! They sang one song acapella (don’t think it is in the show); that turned out to be my favorite.

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#17re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 11:52pm

There was a bit article on "Jersey Boys" in the last issue Entertainment Weekly as one of the best shows of 2005 (#7). It read:

If shows based on the songs and/or lives of the Beach Boys, Elvis, and John Lennon couldn't cut it, why would one on the admittedly lesser Four Seasons? Chalk up "Boys'" left-field accomplishment to an absorbing backstory (the Mob banished one of them to Vegas?), deft staging (by Des McAnuff, the man behind Broadway's "The Who's Tommy"), a spot-on cast, and one AM-heyday classic after another -- from "Sherry" to "December 1963 (Oh What a Night)" -- that reminds you they were the Beach Boys, East Coast division.

Brokenlizard14
#18re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 12:22am

Eugloven,

I saw that! I was so excited. I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly and was flipping through the newest issue when I saw a little article on John Lloyd Young. He was one of the "Best of 2005" and Jersey Boys was...I think number 7, on the list of best Broadway shows of the year.

bwayondabrain
#19re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 8:15am

ah, i turned on the today show yesterday, but had to go to school, so couldnt see it, but i did see someone holding an "i love jersey boys" sign. was that anyone on this board?

:)

but yeah, glad it went well!

wicked_mimi
#20re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:16pm

Brokenlizard... the boys are all darlings at the stage door! However they only stop if asked, so make sure you let them know you want their attention. And the stage door guy is a great camera guy... LOL!

dreamz
#21re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 11:45pm

I clean the dressing rooms in the August Wilson Theater & John is a sweet heart. He is very polite and always says good morning how are you...etc...I've cleaned broadway dressing rooms for 13 years in 3 Jujamcyn houses (Al Hirshfeld, The O'neil, andThe August Wilson) and believe me there aren't many actors who will have a conversation with you. Your lucky if you get a hello from them. I am not saying all of them because there are some out there who are really nice.
Updated On: 1/7/06 at 11:45 PM

EadieWasALady Profile Photo
EadieWasALady
#22re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 11:53pm

I can't decide which one is the better looking of the group.

#23re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 11:57pm

I saw their performances on the TODAY show and I loved it!!

(Luckily I was sick that day from school!) Anyways, of course
they weren't going to be perfect, their show just opened up
(even though they are doing a spectacular job) and also their
first time on the TODAY show!! I would be nervous if I was to perform on the TODAY show!! Also their probably making a few changes too. I want to see this show sooooooo bad!!

I love you John Lloyd Young and your beautiful voice!!!!!!!!!!!!

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#24re: JERSEY BOYS On THE TODAY SHOW!
Posted: 1/8/06 at 4:54pm

Did anyone TiVo this and able to share?

Videos