pixeltracker

JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?

JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#0JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 3:20pm

Just got this from JRB's mailing list:

1. You probably already know that on January 30, the exquisite Julia Murney will be playing the role of Cathy while I bravely assay the role of Jamie in a concert production of "The Last Five Years" to be performed at UCLA's Freud Playhouse as part of Reprise's "Marvelous Musical Mondays" series. What you may not know is that the show is already sold out. There couldn't possibly be enough of you to make it worthwhile to add another performance, could there? Call the folks at Reprise, talk to them about it. (Meanwhile, the Pasadena Playhouse will be presenting the show this summer, so Southern California will have plenty of opportunities to watch the most depressing musical ever made.)

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 1/19/06 at 03:20 PM

loseyourheart Profile Photo
loseyourheart
#1re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 3:27pm

I wanted to go to that in the worst way. They SHOULD add another performance. Julia playing Cathy is pretty awesome. I'm glad it's gonna be at the Pasadena Playhouse later though - that's like 15 minutes away from me.

dancingthrulife04
#2re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 4:33pm

Maybe if people tried calling, like he said, they'd add another performance? I don't know. I wish I lived in California for the day.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#3re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 5:00pm

re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out -  Want Another show to be added?

You beat me to it, Dancing. I was just going to post the same thing after reading Jason's email. It would be GREAT if more people could see this show. As it is, I'm hanging on to my third row seat for dear life!

By the way, Jason didn't mention that the superb Chance Theater in Anaheim is opening the same show Jan. 26 - Mar. 12, 2006
Thu./Fri./Sat. 8pm; Sun. 2pm.

http://www.chancetheater.com/

I hope to catch that one in February as well as the Pasadena Playhouse version this summer.

dancingthrulife04
#4re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 5:15pm

I want to see this so badly.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#5re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 6:23pm

I have tickets to it, I am uber excited.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

gavrochegirl
#6re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 6:26pm

In regards to the L5Y at the Chance--my friend was going to actually play Jamie (no joke), but he had a conflict.

I do plan on seeing it though. It's kind of like an alternative to the one in L.A.

What the puck?!

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#7re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 6:40pm

Exactly what is meant by 'concert version'? I was hoping for some kind of scaled down blocking, props, etc? I am still excited to be going, but I am hoping it's not just a voice concert.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#8re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 6:52pm

Hmmmm just noticed concert version. I started watching a dvd of a concert version of sweeney todd with patti and I didn't like it as I yearned for sets and all. Maybe because I hadn't seen sweeney (angela dvd) so I couldn't imagine.....well if thats it then grrrr because I havn't seen last five years haha.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#9re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 6:59pm

Reprise does a lot of concert versions that ranges anywhere from standing at a mic holding sheet music to elaborate staging. There likely isn't anyway to know until the 30th.

I'll be there!

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#10re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:40am

I just got my ticket today in the mail.

Yeah!

8 days and counting.

andyf
#11re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:48am

"...so Southern California will have plenty of opportunities to watch the most depressing musical ever made."

SHUT UP!

I didn't know they finally turned 'night, Mother into a musical!!!

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#12re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:55am

Huh? I think you are responding to the other thread on the same basic topic.

iwearshoes Profile Photo
iwearshoes
#13re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:55am

So when do we find out if there will be another show? I desperatly want to go but did not find out in time to buy tickets.

Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#14re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 3:34am

Usually Reprise's one night only shows are concert readings with scripts in hand, with the actors standing at microphones - at least this is how it was the last few that I went to... It doesn't take away from the show at all, though - when I saw the concert reading of "Assassins" there in 2003, it was one of my most memorable theatre experiences.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#15re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 3:43am

I Do! I Do! (starring Harry Groener and Diana Canova) was fully staged (though with minimum costumes and sets) and both were completely off book (though both had done the musical before). I sincerely doubt that Brown and Murney will have scripts; the show is 95% songs, which I'm certain they will have learned by heart. I don't see them just standing in front of mikes, at least I hope they won't just do that.

andyf
#16re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 3:58am

The Last 5 Years isn't really a show that would require a fabulous set or mind-blowing costumes.

I saw JRB and Lauren Kennedy do the show in concert at Cooper Union a few years ago and all they did was "just stand in front of mikes" and sing; I don't think anyone who was there had a single complaint.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#17re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:49am

I saw the Broadway version with Norbert and Sherie, and remenber the set to be very simple (although the stage turned-I think), and I believe there was only one costume change-which struck me as odd. I do remember a pier for Cathy's second song, the boat, and a bed (for that 'wonderful' song that makes me cringe!)

I'm hoping for some small blocking and set, but, regardless, I am so excited to be seeing it in one week and a day! I'm sure 'it will be fine, it's fine, it's fine...you know we love it..' re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out -  Want Another show to be added?

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#18re: JRB & Julia Murney @ UCLA sold out - Want Another show to be added?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 12:56pm

I agree that even in JRB and JM "just sing the songs," it'll be worth it because the show IS the songs, and staging (though expected in a full production) is not the thing that makes TL5Y work. It's the performances. One week from tomorrow!!!

Videos