Judy Kuhn in WIW?

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#25re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 12:48pm

Who else has played the role since 2005.12.01?

Has Maria returned at all in this time?

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#26re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 1:00pm

Yes, Maria has been in at most performances.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#27re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 1:01pm

This is great news. I want full reports everyone! I adore Ms. Kuhn. SHe should be great in the role.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#28re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 1:19pm

I've gone on record for my love of Lisa Brecia's talent. I think she is absolutely terrific and would make a wonderful 'full-time' Laura.

However, putting Judy Kuhn in creates some excitement amongst the theatre community. I mean...she is a three-time Tony nominee...and, in my opinion, one of the best voices on Broadway in the last 20 years.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

kec Profile Photo
kec
#29re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 1:21pm

Maria did six performances a week after her return from the first surgery. Lisa did the Wednesday and Saturday matnees. After the second surgery, I believe Maria was out for a week, and Lisa covered the role in that time.

YayJudyYayJudy Profile Photo
YayJudyYayJudy
#30re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 1:21pm

full time Marian you mean?

proudly changing my name frequently since 2004

chances are AndyF is posting above or below me...

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]

sharon1
#31re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 1:26pm

I love Maria Friedman but I have to say the Ms. Kuhn is a top-notch replacement. They have made a great decision here. A strength replacing a strength.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#32re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 1:35pm

Strength had already replaced her

this is lame

sorry folks, nothing against Ms Kuhn (who I haven't heard) But I'm partial to Lisa especially having seen her live. I don't understand the out-sourcing at all, but whatev.

Quick question, does anyone know of any pics of Lisa as Marian? Either personal or from news articles?

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock
Updated On: 1/20/06 at 01:35 PM

EganFan2
#33re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 1:54pm

Aw, man. I would love to see Judy Kuhn in this role. But I am about to start rehearsals for a show, and there's no way I could even make it a quick trip. I hope Maria gets better quickly, too.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#34re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 1:59pm

This is great news. She'll do a nice job with the piece and it will be a good break for Maria.

I'm seeing WIW tomorrow and C is for Company and I are so excited!!!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

sharon1
#35re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 2:15pm

Logan
I have seen Lisa in the role a couple of times. And yes she is brilliant and has a great voice. I will go see her anytime I can in the future. But I also happen to like Ms. Kuhn who I believe will do a great job in the role. Nothing lame about that. And if I were to be partial to anyone it would be to Ms. Friedman who cannot be topped as Marian by anyone in my book.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#36re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 2:30pm

Sorry...YES...Marian (I keep hearing 'All for Laura' run through my head and got confused!)

And logan...you've never HEARD Judy Kuhn? Ever? On any cast album she's ever done?

An astonishing instrument. Her Florence in CHESS, her Cosette in LES MIZ...absolute magic. Even her work on the METROPOLIS recording is thrilling.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#37re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 2:42pm

This is the only way they could get me to see this show again, so it seems like it is a smart move.

Ms. Kuhn has quite a few admirers of her work who will jump at the chance to see her in this or anything. I predict a bump at the BO.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#38re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 2:47pm

I thought the same thing doodle.

I swore I'd never sit through it again (the projections gave me vertigo).

But for La Kuhn...anything.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#39re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 2:53pm

I really disliked the projections AND the moving stage pieces. I dont think it added anything and, yes, was a bit nauseating.

The performances were fine, I saw Brecia who was very good and I preferred her voice to Friedman's (blasphemy!) To hear Kuhn rip it up ('specially All for Laura) would be something to hear.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Overthewall Profile Photo
Overthewall
#40re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:09pm

I am sooo excited for Judy! I wanted to see the show anyway and was in March. But this is exciting news! I'm not disappointed, this has sparked my interest even more!!!!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#41re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:12pm

I just bought a cheap ticket to see Judy. I'm over the moon!

Kringas
#42re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:16pm

Grrr. Another reason I hate living where I do. I love Judy Kuhn so much. I hope someone will give a full report once they see her.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#43re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 3:59pm

sharon1

I have no actually heard Judy in anything, I really didn't like Les Miz when I saw it so I didn't rush to listen to any of the cast recordings. (only one I wanted was from Canada, first to perform both in french and english because it had my favorite singers from Cirque du Soleil in it!).

Like I said, I have no doubt she'll do a wonderful job from the response she's getting, but I still think it is unjust (if for other reasons than contracts) to skip over Lisa. I haven't heard Maria either, as I've said, I'm partial because I saw Lisa live and my heart was pounding through my chest sitting in the third row.(and to go with the above posts, its not my favorite shows, but after hearing Lisa in AIDA I was intrigued to go see it)

Overthewall Profile Photo
Overthewall
#44re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 4:02pm

MEF So did I? haha!! I'm sooo excited! And Judy is such a sweet woman!!! I can't wait to hear her interpretation!!

edit: sorry to threadjack, no one was answering my other one.
is Center Orch Row L Seat 116 any good. That's what i got
Updated On: 1/20/06 at 04:02 PM

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#45re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 4:23pm

In my honest but not humble opinion, she, with Audra McDonald, are the two best voices to come to Broadway in the last 20 years.

sharon1
#46re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 4:53pm

Your seat will be just fine.

AlmostFamous Profile Photo
AlmostFamous
#47re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 4:57pm

im sad Maria is not appearing in WIW for six weeks. She is soooo amazing, I just cannot picture anyone else doing it besides Lisa and Ruthie. I have nothing against Judy I just want Maria to get better really really soon!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#48re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 5:06pm

i love Judy and Maria and Lisa...i like them all!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

andyf
#49re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 7:29pm

My only problem with Lisa getting skipped over is that she didn't just deserve the role because she's brilliant in it or because she's an amazing (that being an understatement) performer in general, but I don't really think this the most traditional way for the production team to thank Lisa for saving their asses and their show...on many occasions.

Not only has she been filling in for Maria throughout her hectic recovery process, but, in case anyone doesn’t recall, she also stepped into the lead role of new musical on Broadway less than one week into previews...and was breathtaking.

Nothing against Judy, I’m just saying what happened is less than satisfying.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]