Judy Kuhn in WIW?

Yankeefan007
#0Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 8:55pm

I've heard things from friends about Ms. Kuhn stepping in for Maria Friedman as she undergoes chemotherapy. Any idea if this is true?

Where they got the info I'll never know, as they won't tell me.
Updated On: 1/19/06 at 08:55 PM

Overthewall Profile Photo
Overthewall
#1re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 10:35pm

That would be awesome, because I love Judy! But need a source!!!

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#2re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 10:45pm

If so, that would be AWESOME!!!!!!! Talk about a great replacement.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

FoscasBohemianDream
#3re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 12:42am

I wasn't aware Friedman is actually gonna have to go through chemo, that's horrible news. Yet, if they are going to bring a replacement, they should just steal Ruthie Henshall from the London production.

timote316
#4re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 12:43am

Or just let Lisa Brescia do it. She got excellent reviews, didn't she?

iluvtheatertrash
#5re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 1:07am

Lisa is STUNNING in the role.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#6re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 1:29am

I agree... Lisa was AMAZING and beautiful in the role.

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#7re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 6:17am

I remember suggesting here a few months ago that Ms. Kuhn would be a perfect choice for a Marian Halcombe replacement, should Ms. Friedman leave the production. I think Judy would be beyond perfect in the role, and I would definitely make a return trip to the show to see her.

Yankeefan007
#8re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 6:31am

It is now official, being reported in Mr. Riedel's column. She's in for 6 weeks beginning on Valentine's Day.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#9re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 6:38am

Okay, now I'm DEFINITELY seeing the show again! re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?

kec Profile Photo
kec
#10re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 6:42am

Judy Kuhn and Michael Ball have worked together before -- they were both part of the Les Miserables 10th Anniversary concert performance, when she was Cossette to his Marius.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#11re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 6:47am

I really like Judy Kuhn, but it seems like a slap in the face to Lisa Brescia who stepped in with virtually no rehearsal.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#12re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 7:12am

It's pretty typical of the way things go, though. Plus, Lisa's the standby. They want her, likely, to remain the standby so they have that backup, and you wouldn't ask Judy Kuhn to come in as the standby.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#13re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 9:01am

It's also in the New York Times.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#14re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 10:28am

If Lisa is the 'standby' who is the 'understudy?' Are they adding Judy in as an understudy and bumping Lisa to standby?

Role>Understudy>Standby

it seemed as though the show only had Lisa, personally I find it kind of insulting unless Lisa asked for the break from the role, she's amazing regardless of how great Judy is/could be

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 10:54am

There is no standby for the role- there are two understudies, including Lisa (who appears in the ensemble when she isn't playing Marian). I don't believe the other understudy (I can't remember her name) has gone on yet.

Judy is coming in to play the role full time for six weeks, not serve as a standby. Lisa will continue in the ensemble, and will, presumably, step in if Judy cannot perform.
Updated On: 1/20/06 at 10:54 AM

YayJudyYayJudy Profile Photo
YayJudyYayJudy
#16re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 10:55am

Leah Horowitz is the other understudy, and no, she has not gone on yet...

proudly changing my name frequently since 2004

chances are AndyF is posting above or below me...

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]

iluvtheatertrash
#17re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 10:56am

I remember attending WIW for my second time and Lisa's performance being one of the greatest I've seen. Her 'All for Laura' was heartstopping and earthshattering. While I, of course, loved Maria's performance - the two were so incredibly different in how they played the roles.

Judy should be marvelous. I'll have to go see the show again for a fourth time.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#18re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 10:58am

The role Lisa plays in the ensemble is an insult. She carried AIDA in to retirement, has done Evita regionally, and has sang the HELL out of this role.

I still find it insulting that they're bringing someone entirely unconnected to the role in to play it when they have Lisa, and if not Lisa, Leah.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

iluvtheatertrash
#19re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 11:04am

I agree, Logan. I agree very much.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#20re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 11:12am

thanks. I tried to logic it out by looking at it in another show:

Take DRS. Sherie is taking a 6 month sabatical. She has an understudy (Laura Marie Duncan) who went on a couple times, mostly in October. LMD could take over, but they're bringing in Rachel York to cover the role.

The difference between these situations is Lisa has not just gone on 5 or 6 times. She has covered this role consistently for over 2 months and to rave reviews.

What's worse is the role she's returning to. 'The Prostitute' has one line... and a laugh. That's it. Lisa is back in the ensemble of WiW (whom I don't particularly like) and it's a tragedy. I thought the fates had worked in favor of Lisa here. I had heard she tried for Elphaba but evidently, 'didn't make it very far' and thus ended up in WiW, and by an unfortunate turn of events ended up in the lead role anyway. I hope I can see her again before Judy steps in.

Updated On: 1/20/06 at 11:12 AM

ThankstoPhantom
#21re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 12:02pm

It is sad to see her, someone who has played a lead on Broadway, be in an ensemble. But I think the reason for this is that the producers do not want an understudy playing the role for six-straight weeks, as wonderful as she may be. I don't know why exactly. In some ways I think it's rather mean, especially to Lisa because she's played the role so many times. But this is what "they" usually do, anyway. Despite this, I'm sure Judy Kuhn will be amazing.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#22re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 12:04pm

This very well could be a contractual thing. Many understudies have clauses in their contracts that say if they play the role for so many performances consecutively, they must be offered the role. I know for a fact this was the case with at least a few of the standbys in Aida.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#23re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 12:10pm

If it has to do with contract, I could almost understand that. But on the same token, why don't they just offer it to her?

And 'an understudy playing the role for six-straight weeks' doesn't make sense to me, considering she has already played the role for 6 weeks straight LOL

Oh well, whats done is done, but I am sad for Lisa re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?

ThankstoPhantom
#24re: Judy Kuhn in WIW?
Posted: 1/20/06 at 12:26pm

She hasn't played it for 6 straight-weeks though. They were all broken up and they didn't know exactly when Maria was coming back, and if they did, they're not going to cast someone for a one week absence. But, yes, I do agree with you, it's too bad Lisa can't get the chance.

adamgreer is probably right about the contract thing, though.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...