pixeltracker

Hotel Suggestions for Theater District

Hotel Suggestions for Theater District

kyguy78 Profile Photo
kyguy78
#0Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 3:03pm

I hope to book the trip for my wife and I to NYC in the next two or three days. All the websites like Travelocity and Expedia list the hotels with their ratings, but I'm just curious what hotels the people on this board would recommend. Keep in mind we're on kind of a tight budget. We'll be on the streets most of the time, so a lot of extras aren't important, but cleanliness is (especially for my wife). Thanks!

kgee30
#1re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 3:18pm

I've stayed at both the Renaissance Times Square & Novotel -- Novotel is cheaper, both are clean & well maintained.

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#2re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 3:21pm

Renaissance Times Square and Marriott Marquis are both fabulous, but not inexpensive. Same goes for the Sofitel--great hotel, very clean, but on the pricier side, even for NYC.

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

shameless Profile Photo
shameless
#3re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 3:27pm

Kyguy, check out the Hotel Finder under Features on the left, it has prices and descriptions.

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson

ikmbway
#4re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 3:29pm

The only place I ever stay in the city is the Marriott Marquis and I have no idea the cost since my parents are my money as of my life now. I do love it there and the location is very good and convienent (sp?)

pab Profile Photo
pab
#5re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 3:31pm

kyguy78, here are two threads that might be of help with a lot of discussion of places to stay:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=880114#1707158

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=off&thread=879970#1700727

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#6re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 4:03pm

kyguy, I was in the same boat a few times - I'd recommend the Comfort Inn or Super 8 Times Square, both on 46th between 5th and 6th Avenues (the Super 8 is nicer than your typical Super re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District. For something relatively upscale to that, the Novotel wasn't bad, but the price was high for a Holiday Inn-quality room. For the money, Comfort Inn or Super 8 are better. Check out www.applecorehotels.com , which lets you book with certain hotels directly and often offer lower prices than the official sites. Secure and I've never had any problems.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#7re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 4:39pm

milford plaza. cheap. connected to the majestic. HEART of the theatre district.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

Stagedoor2
#8re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 4:45pm

I've had good luck at the Time Hotel at 49th and Broadway. The Paramount on 46th is okay but in dire need of a remodel. The Time is probably a little cleaner.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#9re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 8:32pm

The Time is nice but can be a bit pricey & then rms are tiny.
I alwaysr ecomend my Radio City Apts ( see listing in hotel finder) usually has a winter special on till end of Feb for about 100 for a batchelor w a double or 2 twins. I like the kitchenette esp if u are on a tight budget ( helps w preparing meals & saving $$) Great location & has redone the elevators which were like molasses in JAn. Its clean & safe.

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#10re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 8:37pm

I recommend the Milford Plaza also---if I'm staying in a hotel, that's it (my mom likes it too---and she's VERY fussy about cleanliness!)

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
Updated On: 1/27/06 at 08:37 PM

#11re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:14pm

I always stay at the Times Sq. Renaisance Hotel in Times Sq.
The staff there is terrific.
Plus...many nights free food in lobby bar (even sushi) and Broadway show tunes on the piano.
Great way to spend time before seeing a show.

IMissNYC Profile Photo
IMissNYC
#12re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:34pm

I am not a fan of The Time. I think it needs an update. The Michaelangelo is fabulous and the rooms are gorgeous. I also enjoy staying at the Westin Times Square. It's very cool.

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#13re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:41pm

The Westin on 43rd and 8th is my favorite.

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

kyguy78 Profile Photo
kyguy78
#14re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/25/06 at 10:17pm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

bwayondabrain
#15re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 7:00am

I also like the Westin, that one is my favorite!
I also like the Rihga Royal which is just down the street.
And I wish i could stay at the Mariott Marquis! Is that a really cool hotel? Can you hear the Woman in white like down below you? :)

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#16re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 9:12am

the last time I went I stayed at the Roosevelt its just off of 5th if I can remember right.

I also sugest staying away from travelocity and expedia. they may see like really great deals but in all actuallity they are not. the hotel will have the same priced rooms avalible elsewhere.

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

#17re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 11:08am

I personally don't know why anyone would want to stay in a hotel in the heart of the theatre district. I recognize that millions of people disagree with me. The streets are jam packed with tourists, you don't really get a good sense of the real New York City, it's loud & commercial, there are all kinds of characters, pickpockets run wild (well, sort of), and it's not that clean. I'd stay a little off the beaten path...maybe try the Hilton at 53rd Street & 6th Avenue (Avenue of the Americas). The InterContinental on 48th Street & Lexington Avenue and might offer a deal. There's one called The Fitzpatrick on Lexington Avenue in the 40's. Then you could just walk a few blocks east to the theatre. Those hotels are huge, and believe me, they are not always full and will give a special rate if you hit it lucky.

#18re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 11:08am

I personally don't know why anyone would want to stay in a hotel in the heart of the theatre district. I recognize that millions of people disagree with me. The streets are jam packed with tourists, you don't really get a good sense of the real New York City, it's loud & commercial, there are all kinds of characters, pickpockets run wild (well, sort of), and it's not that clean. I'd stay a little off the beaten path...maybe try the Hilton at 53rd Street & 6th Avenue (Avenue of the Americas). The InterContinental on 48th Street & Lexington Avenue might offer a deal. There's one called The Fitzpatrick on Lexington Avenue in the 40's. Then you could just walk a few blocks east to the theatre. Those hotels are huge, and believe me, they are not always full and will give a special rate if you hit it lucky.
Updated On: 1/26/06 at 11:08 AM

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#19re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 11:10am

Hotel Moderne near the Gershwin is small, cozy and funky.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

colleen_lee
#20re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 11:19am

I stay at The Wellington on 55th and 7th. It's a little bit of a crap hole, but it's safe and clean and pretty inexpensive. It's a small hike to the theater district but I like it because it's out of that touristy mess.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

#21re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 11:25am

Colleen that is a great suggestion.

peach
#22re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:08pm

Ditto the Westin Times Square. That's my preferred place to stay.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#23re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:15pm

www.travelzoo.com has some pretty good deals for NYC

Bwaybaby109
#24re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 2:59pm

i also agree with the Milford Plaza. It's not expensive for a new york hotel, it's nice and in a great location! next to the Ave. Q theatre, Producers and Phantom!

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

Videos