pixeltracker

Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz

Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz

Fan2
#0Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 6:45am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/jackman-in-training-for-boy-from-oz/2006/02/13/1139679526894.html#

Jackman in training for Boy From Oz

Hugh Jackman has until August to get into shape to play Peter Allen in the physically gruelling stage musical, The Boy From Oz.

And he's well under way with an intense training regime.

"I was kayaking on the harbour this morning at 6am," Jackman said in Sydney today.

"I have got to get very fit again and strong. I am dancing and doing a lot of yoga. Having done it for a year [on Broadway] eight times a week, I am confident I can do it."

Following the success of the Broadway production of the same name, Jackman and producers Ben Gannon and Robert Fox are bringing the show home - but this time it has been upsized.

The arena musical will start at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on August 3, with tickets to go on sale on February 27.

The show will then travel to Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane, and there is talk of dates to be set in Perth.

For Australia, Chrissy Amphlett will play Judy Garland and Angela Toohey will play Allen's former wife Liza Minnelli.

Allen's mother, Marion Woolnough, will be played by Colleen Hewett.

"I am really excited about taking the show to the next level," said Jackman, who won a prestigious Tony Award for his energetic performance on Broadway.

"It is new territory for me, mate. This is my rock star dream, I suppose.

Critics lauded Jackman's portrayal of Allen - the flamboyant and energetic boy from Tenterfield in north-western NSW, who helped define the disco era in the 1970s and '80s, before succumbing to AIDS in 1992.

The first Boy From Oz production opened in Sydney in March 1998 and went on to become the most successful new Australian musical ever staged.

Dancing with the Stars judge Todd McKenney was in the lead role then, with Jackman taking on the Broadway lead in October 2003.

That production ended in September last year and there has been much speculation about Jackman possibly taking the musical to London's West End, Las Vegas or Los Angeles.

Following Australia, Jackman would like to take the production to London.

"If this works ... I hope that we could do it in London and maybe back in America," said Jackman.

Jackman last performed on the Australian stage eight years ago, playing screenwriter Joe Gillis in Sunset Boulevard.

The actor, who studied at the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts, is one of Australia's biggest stars in Hollywood.

His film credits include Swordfish, Van Helsing, Kate and Leopold, Someone Like You and the X-Men films.

He's got a number of releases over the next 12 months including the third X-Men movie, Scoop, Happy Feet, The Fountain, The Prestige, Flushed Away, Wolverine and Good.

And Jackman said his role in The Boy From Oz had increased his credibility as a performer.

"Spielberg saw it, lots of people saw it and see me now in a different way," he said.

"That was not my intention ... some people thought I was nuts to take it on."

Cast:

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?ei=UTF-8&p=hugh+jackman&datesort=1&fr=sfp&c=news_photos

Updated On: 2/13/06 at 06:45 AM

jo
#1re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 6:59am

Pre-sale starts tomorrow, February 14 re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz

Timmerbo Profile Photo
Timmerbo
#2re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 10:11am

Oh Hugh, why hope to keep doing this show for years? Why not find a better vehicle?

Fan2
#3re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 10:19am

Maybe because he loves doing it and he wants to bring it to other places that couldn't see it on Broadway, although it's an arena show and will probably be much splashier. Plus, he's doing it back home in Australia which I'm sure means a lot to him. He's doing 18 shows for a month and guaranteed they will all be sold out. They are putting Tenterfield Saddler back in (which was replaced on Broadway with Once Before I Go and is on the CD as a bonus track).

erinrebecca
#4re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 10:20am

Well, I'm guessing that Hugh loved doing the show and the success that it had. He obviously is fond of Peter's music and story and it was evident in his performance. Did you see the show, timmerbo?

jo
#5re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 10:42am

The show will have a different creative team.

I have seen the movie musical NEWSIES recently on DVD and had also watched the documentary featuring Kenny Ortega ( now TBFO-Australia director) mostly. Great choreographer... and he seemed to have inspired the cast a lot. The movie dancing was excellent, including one solo by Christian Bale.

I think the new Boy from Oz will be in good hands!

Nanette Himmelfarb Profile Photo
Nanette Himmelfarb
#6re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 10:48am

I think the show is going to look very different in the arena, but I really hope that it doesn't take away from the personal feel of the show. That was one of the things that made it so special for me.

"...but it was us, baby, who were the lucky ones."

jo
#7re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 10:54am

Trust Hugh re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz

I think we may be in for a wonderful surprise with the arena version re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Updated On: 2/13/06 at 10:54 AM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#8re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 1:49pm

is he coming back to Broadway?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#9re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 1:49pm

is he coming back to Broadway with The Boy from Oz?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 2/13/06 at 01:49 PM

Fan2
#10re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:05pm

Right now he's concentrating on the arena show in Australia. He mentioned in his press conference that they may want to take it to London and "America" - I assumed by that he may meant something like Las Vegas or other cities rather than Broadway, but I'm sure if it happened it would be a long way off. He may want to do a one-man show on Broadway first IMO.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#11re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:10pm

Anyone know where I can get a Hugh Jackman Boy from OZ t-shirt?

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#12re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:15pm

I just hope they finally tape the damn thing

Fan2
#13re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:23pm

Ebay has them every so often.

Fan2
#14re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 2:25pm

I agree! But I have a feeling this is going to be a bit different than the Broadway show - first of all, it's an arena show and not an intimate theater. Plus they are putting "Tenterfield Saddler" back in - "Once Before I Go" replaced that on Broadway so who knows if that song will still be there. And one of the articles made mention of the Rockettes so I bet this time there will be real dancers posing as Rockettes instead of mirrors. It should make for a tremendous spectacular. These arenas probably hold about 15,000 people, depending on how they configure them.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#15re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 4:26pm

The "mirrors" idea was added for New York. In the original Australian production the entire ensemble, male and female, played the Rockettes and filled the stage.
Also, there will be cameras everywhere for the arena version as Hugh will be kept in medium close up on large screens throughout the show, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the production was filmed.

jo
#16re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 7:16pm

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/brkfast/stories/s1569091.htm

There is a link to the radio interview.

Great interview! Radio City inspired the idea of an arena version of the show.

*MuSiCaLs_FaN* Profile Photo
*MuSiCaLs_FaN*
#17re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 7:28pm

'Tenterfield Saddler' should NEVER have been taken out in the first place, it's one of the most beautiful songs and moments in the show. I was extremely disappointed with the reworking of the show when it went to Broadway so many songs were either cut, rearranged, given to different characters - and what was with 'Marion' sounding english with a classical soprano voice? she is an australian woman from a country town! So I am actually glad I won't be back to see it! Altho it was interesting to see that Chrissy Amphlett & Angela Toohey will be reprising their roles! Will also be interesting to see how ticket sales go - it may be Hugh Jackman but the ticket prices are incredible!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#18re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 7:41pm

Top ticket price AUS $250, then AUS $150 & AUS $99 for the nosebleed seats. I think it is going to be harder sell than they anticipate.

http://www.theboyfromoz.com.au

Interesting to note only Nick Enright is listed as writer. Does this mean they are using the original script? Updated On: 2/13/06 at 07:41 PM

Fan2
#19re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 8:54pm

Hugh talks about some of this stuff in this radio interview - click on "listen".

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/brkfast/stories/s1569091.htm

jo
#20re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 9:18pm

Whew--- it seemed like The Odd Couple/Three Days of Rain/TONY tickets for the first 45 minutes.

But I have my tickets now re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Ozre: Jackman in Training for Boy from Ozre: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz

Btw, the best seats are for Premium packages at A$ 499, which includes cocktails, programme and souvenirs.

Jo
Updated On: 2/13/06 at 09:18 PM

Timmerbo Profile Photo
Timmerbo
#21re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 10:56pm

No, I didn't see the show unfortunately, though I would have given my right arm to see it as I'm a huge fan of Hugh. I had plans to see it but they fell through because I just couldn't afford to travel that far. re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz

But that said, I have heard the cast album, and I have heard many opinions of the show on this and other boards.

And though there probably aren't many, if ANY other potential vehicles that could better showcase the guy as an acting/singing/dancing machine, I'd still like to see him do other shows, while he's able to continually get up at 6 in the morning to go kayaking and the like.

I just want to hear what else the guy can do.

tim10086 Profile Photo
tim10086
#22re: Jackman in Training for Boy from Oz
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:49pm

Those prices are INSANE. I hope this isn't the end of musical theatre down under.

I will climb back up that mountain!

Videos