pixeltracker

Elaine Stritch at Liberty- Page 2

Elaine Stritch at Liberty

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#25re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:01am

Im watching it, well...im sure it must be better live. Although not a good singer Ms. Stritch is a great storyteller. It remains me a lot of Chita Rivera: The Dancer's Life which is a show I enjoyed a lot. Probably Chita got a few ideas from Elaine's show.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#26re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:06am

WHAT?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

#27re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:07am

:sigh:

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#28re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:11am

let it go guys, just shake your head and let it go

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

muscle23ftl
#29re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:12am

Im saying i like it! she is a great story teller.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#30re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:15am

Elaine Stritch is a phenomenal:

-Woman
-Actress
-Storyteller
AND
-Singer

If you can't see that...well...then I'm sorry.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#31re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:17am

Glad you're enjoying it. Stritch is a living legend and this DVD is something every theater lover should own. In case anyone recalls, Stritch got the loudest and longest applause of anyone at The Public Sings. She is so loved among the theater community...as she should be!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#32re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:17am

Where is it on sale for 13.99?

muscle23ftl
#33re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:19am

I bought it used at a cd warehouse, it's very entertaining. She is a great story-teller. Very honest.

muscle23ftl
#34re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:44am

I love "Im still here" hehe.

muscle23ftl
#35re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:45am

I also have that song by Shirley Mac Laine. Shirley should do one of these shows too.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#36re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:56am

Shirley will be doing a show similar soon - I'm bugging her to do it! Like Stritch, she will dish the dirt (Shirley has slept with most of hollywood, her brother slept with the rest!) and Shirley and Elaine both say FCUK so eloquently, It's like a fine wine!!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

FoscasBohemianDream
#37re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 2:03am

I wish I had been able to see the show Shirley McLaine did written by Mr.Fred Ebb, it must've been genius like anything Ebb touched. Stritch's "I'm Still Here" is the best rendition of this song that I've heard, and she sure knows how to make the jokes speak for themselves, her facial expressions are just brilliant. I also love her rendition of "Zip," and her "The Ladies Who Lunch" won't ever be matched.

OasisBroadway
#38re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 8:30am

"Oasis, go buy yourself a clue.

At least the show I like wasn't critically panned and actually WON some Tonys. I think that gives me a little more of a leg to stand on than you.

AND I am a profound lover of the classics and of legendary performers like Elaine Stritch, who's performance brought me to tears.

I was merely saying that, due to muscle's tastes I don't think he would enjoy the DVD and was advising against wasting his money.

Next time, don't try to start a fight if you're not prepared. Because you'll lose. "

I don't need a leg to stand on here, nor am I looking to "win" anything. My comment was just to point out that I think your statement was rude and not something that is appropriate. But why the need to bring the word "fight" into it? It's rather sad actually, that my disagreement with you is seen (by you) as a "fight." That really hones in on your frame of mind. Interesting too, that you can criticize someone else's tastes, but someone else can not criticize yours. All because Spamalot won some Tonys. :inserteyerollhere: Because we all know that winning Tonys automatically makes it a good show.

There is really no need to act like your original comment was solely to do someone a favor. Perhaps you don't see that there is a difference between politely recommending that someone not buy something and rudely doing the same. :shrug:

PS you never answered my question when I asked "why the need to criticize?"

Updated On: 2/26/06 at 08:30 AM

muscle23ftl
#39re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 2:53pm

Oasis, you rock!!! im with you.

#40re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/26/06 at 3:40pm

Some interpret being bluntly honest as criticizing someone.

Again, I never said SPAMALOT winning TONYs automatically makes it great theatre. But, fortunately, it means more people agree with me than with you. And it gives me a little more credibility than you.

Who's starting a fight? If you don't like the way I state my opinion, deal with it. You should have realized there would be outspoken people on this board. And you don't see many people, other than muscle, agreeing with you, do you? (And that's only because people so rarely defend his taste.)

It's fairly sad really. I'd cry if I cared.
Updated On: 2/26/06 at 03:40 PM

OasisBroadway
#41re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/27/06 at 9:10am

Wow, you are so wrapped up in just trying to prove your point that you are bringing invalid argument into this. Please point out anywhere in this thread (or on this board for that matter) where I have defended muscle's tastes.

I have never once defended his tastes. I have only defended his right to enjoy what he desires without your criticizing him.

Sorry, I guess it is just me. But I was brought up with the belief that you don't criticize people for what they enjoy, regardless of how trivial it is in your mind. If that is not your belief, that is fine, we can agree to disagree.

You are moving along with this argument trying to operate as if I am claiming that I enjoy Mandy Moore (or any of muscle's likes). Frankly, I don't even know a single thing about her. I don't know a single song she sings. But that is totally irrelevant to my saying that your comments are rude.

Maybe you will get it now. . .FINDYOURGRAIL, I AM NOT DEFENDING MUSCLE'S TASTES. That is irrelevent to my point.

Updated On: 2/27/06 at 09:10 AM

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#42re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/27/06 at 11:31am

muscle: we may all think that some shows and some actors are overrated. I'm not sure of your taste since I don't keep track of such things but I would say that the person posting was saying that judging from the other things you like, you might not like Stritch.

She is old school, VERY skilled in her craft and a no nonsense 'broad' as she calls herself.

If you aren't sure whether you want to buy this DVD, rent it. Even if you dislike it, it will give you a comparison to other projects you've seen and you can decide for yourself.

As for what you consider overrated or dislike...I am always willing to listen to constructive comments if the person has a valid reason or has some skill or knowledge in assessing a performer or a show. But if they just say things like 'it sucks' or they are more inclined to look at theater for pop culture takeover, I would have to protest.

There is a place for every kind of entertainment. But that doesn't mean that everyone can do stage work, or write a good book or score.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#43re: Elaine Stritch at Liberty
Posted: 2/27/06 at 1:37pm

I love Elaine Stritch so I ran out and purchased the DVD. The only problem I have with it is that it was filmed in England and not in New York. I have only watched it once. It seems that some of the jokes and stories go over the English audience's heads. For some reason, their non-response to some things made me enjoy it less. I plan to watch it again soon. Just my opinion.

Just give the world Love.