Sunset Blvd.... just a thought

MusicalMan2 Profile Photo
MusicalMan2
#0Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 8:36am

I was inspired to write this thread after reading the Miss Saigon thread.

Was anyone else mortified when Glenn Close played Norma Desmond on Broadway instead of Patti Lupone? I mean honestly, just listen to the OLC of Sunset. Lupone is perfect and flawless as Norma. I actually saw Glenn in LA (where she played Norma before taking it to broadway) and loved the show (still do) but wasn't impressed with her vocals as Norma. I even bought the Patti Lupone recording of the show because she so deserved to be the Norma during the transfer to broadway. I know we all know the story of Glenn being so successful in LA that Patti was paid out of her contract for braodway and what not. But still... when it comes down to the acting and singing and overall performace. Patti was perfect.

Nobody has to respond if you don't want to since this happened over 10 years ago. But I still get annoyed when I think about it and would love to hear any other comments or opinions.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#1re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 8:51am

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=883623

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=880475

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=877023

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=850616

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=299212

Just a thought...use the SEARCH function before creating a new thread.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 3/12/06 at 08:51 AM

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#2re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 8:54am

You are correct --- Patti sang the role beautifully, but her take on the character acting-wise was less than stellar. Glenn's vocals were abyssmal, but she acted the hell out of the role, and was completely over the top in every scene. She was very campy in the best ways possible.

Of all the Norma's I've seen (Patti, Glenn, Betty, Dian Carroll, Petula Clark, & Elaine Paige) the only one that nailed both the vocals and the interpretation was Betty Buckley, in my opinion.

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

MusicalMan2 Profile Photo
MusicalMan2
#3re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 8:58am

Ouch.... point taken.

mrcacou Profile Photo
mrcacou
#4re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 9:14am

Mrs Schneider in the German version was acting the role like Mrs Close but had a Lupone's like voice. You should listen to that recording even if you do not understand German, it is IMHO the best produced recording of Sunset.

In my heart, I found the answered dream, and in my soul I found the song, and in my friends I found the magic, the love, the moon up above- they were mine, all mine, all along..!

mcphan19 Profile Photo
mcphan19
#5re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 10:59am

I agree, too bad the German cast recording only has the highlights - also it's a shame that there was no Australian cast recording made - Debra Byrne sounds great on the CD singles I have, and I would have loved to have heard Hugh Jackman's Joe. Well I prefer Elaine's Norma over Betty's, but then again, I've only seen Elaine, Betty and Petula.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#6re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 11:08am

I've said it in at least three of those already mentioned threads, but no, I do not think Patti LuPone was superior to Glenn Close in the role and was, as others have said, simply miscast, no matter how amazing her vocals were. You never bought her as a silent film goddess - at least not in Trevor Nunn's concept of the show.

She was more effective in the footage from the (very different) reading of SUNSET at Sydmonton.

For the record, of the other Normas I saw, I thought Close and Paige were brilliant. I was less impressed by Buckley. Karen Mason gave it a good (if unmemorable) go, and understudy Susan Dawn Carson gave one of the most unintentionally hilarious performances I've ever seen on a Broadway stage.

Updated On: 3/12/06 at 11:08 AM

Chris T
#7re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 11:57am

It's amazing how different interpretation of the role are viewed. Glen was totally OTT, Betty played her as a fragile creature, which for me, didn't work. I loved Faith Brown in the UK tour, again a very OTT performance.

daspazoo
#8re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 3:47pm

By all reports I've heard, Glenn's voice improved dramatically during her run of SUNSET on Broadway. The recording (like EVITA before it) is from the Los Angeles run/cast, hence "American Preimiere Recording" rather than "Original Broadway." If you watch her on the ALW 50th Birthday video, her vocal technique is much improved from the recording.

Also, in the Petula Clark interview on this site, she mentions having seen Glenn in London--did Glenn ever perform SUNSET in London or is this a mistake of Petula's? I know there was a lot of trading of Norma's between the US and UK, but I never heard of Glenn playing it 'across the pond' especially since I was living over there at the time.

...this bird is singing.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#9re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 5:04pm

Betty Buckley's voice was as pleasant as a the sound of a cat being strangled.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#10re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 5:08pm

Glenn never did it in London. Petula Clark must have seen her in NYC or LA

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#11re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 6:29pm

Debra Byrne was miscast in the "AUSTRALIAN" production and was simply awful.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#12re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 9:02pm

I've honsetly discussed this subject way too many times; I'll just say I prefer Close.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

jo
#13re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/12/06 at 9:26pm

Glenn Close sang WITH ONE LOOK and AS IF WE NEVER SAID GOODBYE in the Andrew Lloyd Webber ( 50th Birthday) CELEBRATION video/DVD. She was excellent!

I have seen the documentary on SUNSET BOULEVARD in Australia ( Debbie Byrne and Hugh Jackman) - I think she was also a very good Norma, based on the clips of her performing in the show. And she does have an excellent musical theatre voice.

I saw both Betty Buckley and Elaine Paige in the show in London. I have also heard Petula Clark sing the role recently ( concert version with Michael Ball). And btw, I have also seen the original movie version and Gloria Swanson seemed to have defined the character and personality of Norma Desmond. Not sure who really stands out among all of them in the musical version. But it is definitely a great role for both the stage and the movies!

The choice of Norma would also depend on which movie actor gets chosen to play Joe Gillis...or is it vice versa? There has to be believable chemistry between them.

rockfenris2005
#14re: Sunset Blvd.... just a thought
Posted: 3/13/06 at 12:21am

I have to say that World Premiere Recording of Sunset Boulevard and the OLC of Les Miserables should be taken out of shops, far far away, put on a ship and sunk at sea.

Give me Glenn Close any day of the week

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Videos