London Ticket Prices

RentBoy86
#0London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/14/06 at 7:18pm

I was reading that tickets for Wicked in London - and for Avenue Q are like 5 lbs or like 20lbs - is this really cheap or what's the exchange there? Like how much would it be in the states? thanks.

jo
#1re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/14/06 at 7:25pm

The current exchange rate (quoted by Bloomberg this instant) is US$ 1.7462 to GBP 1

Updated On: 3/15/06 at 07:25 PM

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#2re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/14/06 at 7:27pm

It's approximately $2. I found the ticket prices to be nearly identical to U.S. prices when I was there.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#3re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/14/06 at 7:27pm

do you really write british pounds like: 20lbs?

WEIRD!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#4re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/14/06 at 7:31pm

There is a symbol that looks like an E in italics without the middle bar. It's def not "lbs." That's weight.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

RentBoy86
#5re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/14/06 at 7:33pm

yeah, i know, but i dont have that function on my comp. or at least I don't know how, so I just figured that was an easy way to read it.

Oh okay, it seemed extremely cheap to me, but even then, 5lbs for the back of the dress circle is like what? $20 here? that's cheap.

Composer9 Profile Photo
Composer9
#6re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/14/06 at 10:12pm

It's actually like 10 bucks here. The theatre prices, when I was in London in January, seemed a bit cheaper. I got student rated tickets for no more than 15 pounds and usually less than 10. The most expensive ticket I bought there was 23 pounds for a ticket to Sunday in the Park with George. Even the 50 pound tickets for Billy Elliot would come out to be cheaper than say a 111.25 ticket to Pajama Game.

The key to the mystery of a great artist is that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with the feeling that something is right in the world. ~Leonard Bernstein~

RentBoy86
#7re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/14/06 at 11:27pm

ugh, just another reason I need to visit London.

Composer9 Profile Photo
Composer9
#8re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:08am

Seriously, it's wonderful, and a necessary experience for any theatre fan.

The key to the mystery of a great artist is that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with the feeling that something is right in the world. ~Leonard Bernstein~
Updated On: 3/15/06 at 01:08 AM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#9re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:13am

It's £, not lbs. There's a huge difference and it makes you look like a stupid American.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 3/15/06 at 01:13 AM

jo
#10re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 5:40am

Plus I don't think they have premium seat pricing over there!

BrianWilsonFan
#11re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 6:45am

I've ordered 3 x 20lb tickets for Wicked and i'll look forward to the postman wheeling them up the drive in wheelbarrow: - )

Sorry it was such a cheap shot but i couldn't resist, don't worry the person who can't make a mistake can't do anything.

tophertilson Profile Photo
tophertilson
#12re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 7:10am

They don't have premium tickets, but a lot of the choice seats get snapped up by ticket brokers and have huge fees added onto them. No, they're not in the $250 range, but the fees are pretty exorbitant. The best bet is to buy direct from the box office, VERY early.

TT

"Me flunk English? That's unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggum

#13re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 7:27am

To make a pound symbol on a Web page, type an ampersand (shift 7) followed by the word pound, followed by a semicolon, as in & pound ;

Do it with no spaces and you get £

kec Profile Photo
kec
#14re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 7:41am

£

Ah, I see.. thanks for the lesson! re: London Ticket Prices

Gregster
#15re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 8:10am

Cheapest tix for wicked are £5 at back of Dress circle (not bad view) which is equivilent to $8.73 re: London Ticket Prices

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#16re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 8:50am

It's worth noting that this is only for previews. After the 26th Sept, the price goes up to around £15. It's a good view, albeit a long way from the stage (the Apollo Victoria holds over 2,200 people on two levels). I'm sitting up there for the opening press night re: London Ticket Prices

iluvtheatertrash
#17re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 11:27am

Tickets are about the same price, I'd suppose.

My 'Whistle Down the Wind' tickets for about 70 dollars each compared to the 110 they'd be here.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

iluvtheatertrash
#18re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 11:35am

£

Huh. Who knew?!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
Updated On: 3/15/06 at 11:35 AM

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#19re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/15/06 at 11:42am

So far, the prices for Avenue Q in previews are £10, £20 and £30 ($17.50, $35 and $52.50) with the top price rising to a whopping £47.50 ($82.91) after opening. Wicked's top price is £45 ($78.57) in previews, and £55 ($96.04) after. Spamalot has a top price of £55 ($96.04) in the week and £60 ($104.73) at the weekends.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

mpw607
#20re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/16/06 at 6:42am

As a Londoner I can confirm my impression is that West End prices are lower than the equivalent on Broadway. Musicals tend to be the most expensive at around £50 top price, equal to about $85. Compare that with $110 for top Broadway tickets (let alone premium prices).

So come on over you guys!

dgjbear
#21re: London Ticket Prices
Posted: 3/16/06 at 7:11am

Just bought tcks for Evita and Wicked...they were both £55 top price.