Wicked costumes

Allison5580 Profile Photo
Allison5580
#0Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:21am

I'm going to be applying for a job at a place here in San Antonio called "The Magic Time Machine". It's a restaurant and in order to work there you have to be dressed as a character, preferably a kid-friendly one because it is a family environment. I'd love to be Glinda, but I would prefer to wear her costume from the stage show, not from "Wizard of Oz". Anyone have ANY idea where that can be purchased, if it's available anywhere? If not, does anyone have any kind of recommendations as to where I could get something that's at least similar? I'm a terrible seemstress, otherwise I'd just make it myself. I don't get on this site often, so please email me a response, if you have one, to Allison_Newsom@yahoo.com. Thanks!!!!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:29am

Well they definitely don't SELL it...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Allison5580
#2re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:36am

Well, yeah, I know THAT much. I'm just looking for something that resembles it. I like the blue costume from the stage version much better than the pink one in the movie. I guess I worded my original query wrong. I need to know if anyone knows of any place that sells something comparable to Glinda's blue gown that could be potentially altered or whatever to eventually look more like the stage version. It's OBVIOUS that you can't just buy the costume! re: Wicked costumes

Celestial Entropy Profile Photo
Celestial Entropy
#3re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/19/06 at 4:47am

Her blue dress looks like a horrid 80's prom dress that has been glittered to death... it should be easy to come up with something like that. BUT... since Wicked's "Glinda" isn't exactly a common character a lot of kids are aware of, people might mistake you for Cinderella, because it's almost the same kind of dress she wears.

I've come this far with the truth of the heart. Deep down inside I think we're all the same. Try not to judge and never shame... I do believe people are good... they just want hope and respect... to be understood ~Melissa Etheridge

vjRichie Profile Photo
vjRichie
#4re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:13pm

If this is a restaurant - you would porbably need two or three of these dresses as you rotated them in/out of the dry-cleaners!

I would think something more practical would be better. Research children's books/games/movies.

"I've had two years to grow claws, Mother, and they're Jungle Red!" Mary Haines - The Women

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#5re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:24pm

Well there is a pattern for it..... that you can actually buy

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#6re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:27pm

you should first check to see if they already have a "Glinda" working at your Magic Time Machine. i worked at MTM in Addison, TX during high school and before i applied i made sure i had all the stuff for a Pee-Wee Herman costume. but when i was hired they told me they already had a Pee Wee and then the manager actually gave me some suggestions - because of my height and skinniness i ultimately became Woody from "Toy Story".

secondly, i do agree with whoever said that if you went for the blue stage version you would easily be confused with Cinderella. you need to think about the kids that come in the restaurant, in their minds Cinderella is in blue with blond hair and Glinda is in a big pink dress with a crown.

and thirdly, if you want to get lots of tips (from business men at lunch or from dads of those kids) it helps if you think of a "sexy" costume. it worked for girls i worked with, they managed to think of something kid-friendly but they sexed it up a little bit. (Tinkerbell, slutty cheerleader, the best - although not very kid friendly was my friend Beth dressed as Mena Suvari from "American Beauty" in a nude body stocking with rose petal strategically pasted on).

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#8re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/19/06 at 12:40pm

lol slutty and family friendly is Betty Boop

Allison5580
#9re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/19/06 at 9:31pm

I don't know how the money for your costumes works. I think, from what a friend told me, they will reimburse you up to a certain amount, but of course, they only require you to have one costume whereas most people like to have a couple of different costumes and different characters for variety AND cleanliness! A friend of mine suggested that I do Columbia from "Rocky Horror" but she's not exactly kid friendly....even though she's a bit on the childish side.

I'm open for suggestions for other characters!!

greeneyed_one Profile Photo
greeneyed_one
#10re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/19/06 at 11:52pm

any Disney princess would work well (Jasmine, Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc)

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#11re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/20/06 at 12:20am

Jessica Rabit

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#12re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/20/06 at 11:34am

re: Wicked costumes

McCalls put out a "GOOD WITCH" pattern in 2003, that was a complete knock off of Kristen's gown from WICKED. Because of copyright issues, that was pulled from their stock. You might be able to find one on eBay, though.

There's also this website, that will custom make a "Glinda/Princess" gown for you in white. If they're willing to make adjustments, they might make it in tiers with a white base/glistenette overlay. You could add the blue and irredescent sequins yourself...
http://www.paradisecostumes.com/miscellaneous_costumes5.htm

peach
#13re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/20/06 at 1:31pm

Is this place a chain in Texas? Because I'm pretty sure I went to one when I was in the Dallas area. I have never seen one again. My waiter was Dread Priate Roberts from Princess Bride - which I thought was pretty good.

And if you do Blue Glinda - the kids will indeed think you are Cinderella, as others have pointed out. If you want to go Glinda (and be known as Glinda), do the pink one!

For other ideas, think of movies with easily identifiable characters - Star Wars series (Leia, Padme, etc.); Harry Potter series (McGonnagal, Hermione, etc.)...

Also, it must be tough to serve drinks and food with all that costuming, no? I give the servers at this place credit!

#14re: Wicked costumes
Posted: 3/20/06 at 4:08pm

I've been there a few times and have not seen a Harry Potter. I remember wanting to be Harry, but then I was like "wait tables?" No way.

All I have to say is this: The food sucks.

Videos