pixeltracker

Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!

Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!

kevinr
#0Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/20/06 at 6:04pm

I saw Barefoot over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it as did the audience. I enjoyed the music in it (Downtown, I Hear a Symphony, Turn Turn Turn among others), thought Amanada Peet was much better than I was led to believe by reviews, and got to see (and meet) one of my all-time favourite actresses Jill Clayburgh for the first time. (Ms. Clayburgh delivers a truly Tony worthy performance - though I am biased!) If you want some light-hearted comedy, go see it. You won't be disappointed!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/20/06 at 6:07pm

Wait so ignore the critics, most people on this board, and all the people I know who saw it and hated it? You're certainly entitled to enjoy this show, but it ain't just the critics.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/20/06 at 6:09pm

Seeing it Saturday night

My brother in law is taking us to see it as part of my wife's 55 th birthday present. His original choice was Lestat but... If nothing else, the price is damn good so if we like it it will be a bonus

Poster Emeritus

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#3re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/20/06 at 8:12pm

It's a cute show. I think you'll have fun, as did I and apparently Kevin.

Message Board Signature

elphieisperky
#4re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/20/06 at 8:14pm

You know what? I really liked it. After a while, I was getting a tad bored, but I liked it. It was really funny and sweet, IMO.

Edit: Amanda screams onstage though, I think someone said this before. She just doesn't have that "Broadway voice" yet. But Patrick Wilson is great, obviously along with Jill and Tony. Updated On: 3/20/06 at 08:14 PM

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#5re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/20/06 at 8:14pm

Plus, as Isaac Mizrahi said, it's worth going just to see Amanda Peet in her underwear.

And Patrick Wilson too, for those who may prefer him...

Message Board Signature

beacon1
#6re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/21/06 at 9:12am

I'm going to see this in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS! :o)

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

cate_w
#7re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/21/06 at 9:21am

I saw it on Saturday afternoon and I also thought it was great! I almost didn't go because of the reviews, but I decided it was worth it just to see Patrick Wilson and I ended up loving everything about it.
(Although I started out sitting in the fifth row all the way on the side and could only see half the stage, which was ridiculous. People kept coming in the door and everyone would laugh and clap and I would have no idea who it was or what was going on. I moved to an empty seat closer to the center as soon as I could. Moral: make sure you get a seat close to the center!!)
It is a really great, funny play! The entire audience seemed to enjoy it.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#8re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/21/06 at 2:04pm

Agreed, the show is amazing!!! Amanda was great the day i saw the play.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#9re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/21/06 at 3:46pm

I didn't think it was a disaster, but I don't think it's anywhere near amazing.

It's a pretty stale, limp revival with a very weak leading lady and pedestrian direction. I had a good time - I thought it was a fun, lighthearted, stylish production, but it really doesn't amount to much. I'm glad people are enjoying it - and I do think the critics were a LITTLE dramatic about the production (not Peet's terible performance, though).

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Yankeefan007
#10re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/21/06 at 4:02pm

It's a limp production of a once-funny, now-dated play. The acting is mediocre-to-poor.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#11re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/21/06 at 6:15pm

I just remembered that about 7 years ago there was some talk about a production of this here in Australia to feature Hugh Jackman.

Phantomgal109
#12re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/21/06 at 7:51pm

I saw it about a month ago!! It was okay. It was my first non-musical on Broadway and the only reason I went was cause I LOVE Patrick Wilson!! He was amazing and sitting 2nd row was great although Amanda did yell the entire show.

After at the stagedoor I was able to meet Patrick and Amanda and tony Roberts. They were all so nice especially Patrick!! What a sweetheart!!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#13re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/21/06 at 8:09pm

I think Patrick Wilson is great in it as well. Any problems I had with their chemistry I just attribute to Amanda Peet, as unfair as that is.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Dollypop
#14re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/21/06 at 8:10pm

I absolutely loved this production! I am planning to see it again.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

beacon1
#15re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 4:33pm

I can't wait to see this--very, very soon! :o)

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

Broadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
#16re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 5:08pm

And we all know why DP loved this production!!!!!!!!!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

Dollypop
#17re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 6:23pm

Of course you all know why I loved this production: the set is stunning!

Broadwaylady
#18re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 6:29pm

Yeah right, and you were fasinated by the stage settings.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

Dollypop
#19re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 9:52pm

The stage set for BAREFOOT is stunning--as is the actor who graces it.

Broadwaylady
#20re: Barefoot In the Park - Ignore the Critics!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 10:36pm

Now your talking.

Videos