Hot Feet Washington Post Review

MargoChanning
#0Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 1:43am

No surprise, it's pretty negative:

"If members of a high school drama club were asked to develop a show based on the songs of the '70s sensation Earth, Wind & Fire, they easily might come up with something subtler than the ghastly tangle of cliches that have been crazy-glued together for "Hot Feet," the Broadway-bound mishmash that opened Tuesday night at the National Theatre.

A hip-hop-inflected retelling of "The Red Shoes," "Hot Feet" dances the night away merrily oblivious to the fact that ultimately, the foot bone is connected to the brain bone. As conceived, directed and choreographed by Maurice Hines, this $8 million curiosity cuts a clueless-verging-on-vulgar swath through the terrain of that Broadway staple, the backstage musical. It banks on the notion that you'll believe perspiration can be a substitute for inspiration."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/29/AR2006032902545.html

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

songplugger
#1re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 5:12am

That scamp Peter Marks should copyright the phrases "Hip-Flop" and "Serpentine Misfire".

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#2re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 7:00am

re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review

I can't wait!

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#3re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 7:53am

This seems less appealing to me every day.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

BobbyBaby244
#4re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 8:06am

It's SOOO bad...stay away!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#5re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 9:29am

I'll be there this weekend (that's if I can get tickets at a discount).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 10:45am

As soon as I read that the lead character's name was to be Kalimba, I knew this show was doomed! In a way I hope that if they don't fix this show, it just does not go to New York. My friend saw it last Friday and said it was a mess of a show and she didn't see how it would be fixed before New York. Granted, previews are for tweaking a show, but it sounds like this show is beyond that. And quite honestly, I don't want to see Maurice White fail on Broadway as EW&F is my all time favorite group.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 3/30/06 at 10:45 AM

apdarcey
#7re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 11:00am

haha, anyone want me to say anything to peter in class today?

he was going to bring our class to the show, then saw it and decided against it.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#8re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 11:31am

I have next weekend free and would be able to drive to Washington for the Saturday matinee. In your opinion, will this show come to NYC? Are the producers crazy enough to bring this to NYC? If the show decides to close in Washington, will there be an announcement before next weekend? Or will they announce that it is not coming to NYC after it closes in Washington? (I don't remember what happened with Sweet Charity or Mambo Kings) I really want to see this show. Any advice you can give me would be great...thanks!

MargoChanning
#9re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 11:41am

I'd be surprised if it didn't come in. They've already spent most of that $8 million and even with bad reviews, it might do OK on tour. Producers like having the cache of being able to say "Direct from Broawday" and it helps them to sell tickets. Also, I imagine they will need to run for a couple of months on Broadway, in order for the touring rights to vest in the producers.

Transamerica is producing this, so losing a few million on the road and at the Hilton is no big deal to them. With a good marketing campaign and the on-going popularity of EWF, they should be able to recoup a lot of their losses on the road.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#10re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 11:44am

*gag*

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

DottieD'Luscia
#11re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 11:45am

With the reviews I have read so far, I can't help but label this show, "Hot Mess!"

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

MargoChanning
#12re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 11:51am

Plus, the show will almost certainly get a Tony nomination for choreography (not sure about its chances to win, but maybe it has a shot), which also will be an asset to the marketing.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 12:05pm

I have heard that the choreography is nothing to scream about. Very repetitive.

Just give the world Love.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#14re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 12:30pm

Thanks, Margo. I didn't really feel like driving all the way to DC next weekend, but I would have if I knew the show was going to close there. I'll be at the first preview in NY on April 20th.

Thesbijean
#15re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 12:50pm

Variety was not that bad a review

#16re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 12:57pm

How about

"Shot Feet"
"Cold Feet"
"Hot Fright"

MargoChanning
#17re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 1:00pm

True:

"R&B group Earth, Wind & Fire joins the parade of legendary bands to see their music transferred to the stage with "Hot Feet," a lively dance-a-thon created by choreographer Maurice Hines and EWF founder Maurice White. This infectious dose of energy soars while the band's hits are performed. But an inane book and subpar acting undermine the fancy moves and jeopardize the footing of this $8 million production in its pre-Broadway debut at D.C.'s National Theater.

Heru Ptah, a 27-year-old newcomer who has written for MTV Books, strives to give his dialogue a streetwise rap feel, but his book is more conspicuous for its insufferable lines and frequent forays into areas of questionable taste.

Fortunately, the evening is filled with dazzling numbers such as the laser-enhanced "Getaway." Another highlight is the suggestive "Serpentine Fire," the big number for Smith, playing the aging and feisty star.

Tech aspects are first rate, while the budget is well spent on Paul Tazewell's colorful costumes and James Noone's bare-bones but lively sets. Clifton Taylor's lighting offers all sorts of delightful surprises."

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117930080?categoryid=33&cs=1

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#18re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 7:23pm

It will come to Broadway but I don't think it will fill the Hilton or last very long. The dancing talent but the choreography is very repetitive.

I had a hard time watching the show after they assured the audience that although we could not see the vocalists or band, they were performing live.

The WP review was right on par with what I saw.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

bwayondabrain
#19re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 3/30/06 at 7:29pm

what else might this show compete with for choegraphy? PAJAMA GAME, maybe?

but i think this will be another jukebox flop...i mean, a character named Kalimba, magic shoes, wants to be a star...all pretty corny to me

DottieD'Luscia
#20re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 4/1/06 at 6:25pm

Off to see the show tonight.

RentBoy86
#21re: Hot Feet Washington Post Review
Posted: 4/1/06 at 6:45pm

Wedding Singer had great choreography and I heard Color Purple has that whole Lion King - esque sequence.

I just wish they'd find some way to incorporate the band and singing into the show, i dont like how they're offstage.

Videos