Mimi and Joanne

astonishing1985 Profile Photo
astonishing1985
#0Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 9:43am

Why does Mimi have to be a Latina and Joanne African-American?
It really doesn't say that anywhere, but does anyone know why?

Hartt School class of 2010 ;-)

newsieboy23 Profile Photo
newsieboy23
#1re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 9:45am

"...when the Spanish babies cry...."

#2re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 9:46am

There's a reference to "the Spanish babies" in Out Tonight, but technically, it doesn't necessarily imply that Mimi herself is Hispanic.

I could very well be wrong, but I'm assuming it's simply because the original Mimi and Joanne were played by women of those ethnicities and they just continued to cast people to somewhat match the originals.

astonishing1985
#3re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 9:46am

That doesn't really say anything though...

OasisBroadway
#4re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 9:47am

Mimi's mom speaks spanish on her voice mail: "Mimi, Chica, donde esta?" Not sure about Joanne. Maybe they just wanted to make sure the cast stayed multi-racial.
Updated On: 4/5/06 at 09:47 AM

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#5re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 9:55am

Mimis last name is Marquez...that tells ya something.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, Jonathan got the basis for the character off of Karmkine Alers. Not the druggie/stripper part, but the young Latina dancer part. Thats what I read somewhere anyway.

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

astonishing1985
#6re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 10:07am

Thanks OasisBroadway, that makes sense :P

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#7re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 10:37am

It is probably Karmine's sister, Yassmine.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

timote316
#8re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 11:01am

Yeah, if that's true, the basis would have been off Yasmin. However, I'm not sure of that statement, as Daphne was with the show from the very beginning.

Mimi and Angel are the only characters that have a set ethnicity by the script. The others were just cast like that originally, and they've stuck. In the original NTYW workshop, Collins was white.

However, they haven't always cast the show with Mimi/Angel being hispanic - until recently (I'm not sure if he's there anymore), the Angel understudy was Philipino (Enrico Rodriguez, so I'd assume he's part Hispanic, but he looks Philipino), and they've cast black women as Mimi (Melanie Brown).

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#9re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 11:07am

Nope, it was definetely Karmine in the story as I heard it. I guess she and Jon gew pretty close and he was pulling for her to be in the original cast, but something happened where it didnt pan out. But it was definetely Kar, cause she was close to 19 at the time it was written, and thats how Mimi was created.

I'm talking about the writing process, not when Daphne was actually cast though.

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

erinrebecca
#10re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 11:48am

Joanne has always been cast with a black woman but Mimi has not always been cast with a Latina actor. Many Mimis have been black, e.g., Krysten Cummings, Marcy Harriell, Krystal Washington, Saycon Sengbloh, Dominique Roy, Saskia Garel.

The casting has been more by habit/tradition than by what is indicated in the script. The actors playing Angel, for instance, have been black, Latino, Asian, or a combination of those.

*ClassicVintage* Profile Photo
*ClassicVintage*
#11re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 2:23pm

I think for Mimi, it is more about having 'Mimi hair' then ethnicity.

Beyond talent lie all the usual words: discipline, love, luck- most of all endurance.

anne3
#12re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 4:01pm

(Karmine wasn't close to 19 when Rent came out)

And as the story goes, accourding to Karmine. Jonathon wanted her to be the original Mimi. But Micheal wanted to stay with Daphne and her sister got the swing role..

Kringas
#13re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 4:10pm

How is Angel's ethnicity set in the script? Just because of the name Angel?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#14re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 4:29pm

Unfortunatly that's what they pretty much always do on Broadway...try to copy the look and sound of the original perfomer. I guess they're worried about an audience not liking change.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#15re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 4:35pm

There have been plenty of Asian Angels and Angel understudies: Jake Manabat, Michael K. Lee, Opell Ross, Evan D'Angeles, Enrico Rodriguez, Jose Llana...

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#16re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 4:50pm

I think the only tie to Angel's ethnicity in the script are his and Mimi's part of La Vie Boheme (juevos rancheros, etc.), but that's a pretty thin link.

Joshua488
#17re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 4:51pm

I fit all the requirements for the role of Angel except for the ethnicity bit. I would love to audition in the future and I hope that they won't turn me away just because I don't look like your typical Angel.

Aren't Rent auditions notorious for brutal typing? I'm afraid they'd type me into the Benny or Collins categories.

Updated On: 4/5/06 at 04:51 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#18re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 4:59pm

I just looked at your photos, Joshua. You don't look all that different (type-wise) from Justin Johnston or Stephan Alexander, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 4/5/06 at 04:59 PM

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#19re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 5:10pm

I agree with Lizzie, you could definitely play Angel with your looks. Collins and Angel have shared understudies sometimes, so they know both parts of "I'll Cover You."

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

anne3
#20re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 5:12pm

Danny Calvert is pretty much as white as you can get.. And he understudied Angel on the last tour....

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#21re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 6:07pm

I think they are a little more flexible w/ understudies, though. Did he also understudy Mark and/or Roger?

erinrebecca
#22re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 6:59pm

misto, I'm curious who has covered both Angel and Collins. Someone on tour?

thevolleyballer
#23re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 7:03pm

What about Benny and Collins? Do those two have to be African-American? The same goes for the male solo in Seasons Of Love (whether Collins sings it or not). I've yet to see someone of other ethnicity in those roles.

timote316
#24re: Mimi and Joanne
Posted: 4/5/06 at 7:14pm

Kringas - you are right. I think I had my early-movie screenplay/stage scripts messed up (it refers to a 'hispanic kid' banging drums in the old Chbosky screenplay). My mistake.

thevolleyballer - in some cases, different cast members are forced to sing the SOL solo #2, due to illness and whatnot. I seem to remember reading a review a while back in which a Roger understudy did it (Josh Kobak? Colin Hanlon?). Plus, if you really want to hear/see a white guy do BOTH solos, find the DVD of "Broadway's Greatest Love Songs" - Adam Pascal does both, accompanied by a huge chorale. Its interesting.

But, either way, Rent isn't about race. It really doesn't matter if any of the characters are black/white/Asian/Hispanic/purple/whatever. Sure, some dialogue may be off (the final Voice Mail), but thats about it.The story would still be what it is.

Videos