pixeltracker

Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate

Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate

shesamarshmallow
#0Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/11/06 at 10:25pm

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/99014.html

Now, I love the movie to death, but considering that most people think it fails on just about every level (except the Nicolas brothers and Gene Kelly's thighs), what makes them think it will succeed on stage?

That said, I really want to be in Philadelphia right now so I can see it.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/11/06 at 10:29pm

Seeing as how the big name transfers (Singing In The Rain, Gigi, Meet Me In St Louis) all flopped, maybe this lesser known title will make it

Poster Emeritus

TheEnchantedHunter
#2re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/11/06 at 11:26pm

Or not.

Mack The Black
(By The CAribbean or CaRIBbean Sea)

Suedenymes Profile Photo
Suedenymes
#3re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/11/06 at 11:28pm

MoCoCo

LaurenB
#4re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/11/06 at 11:37pm

That's actually my favorite Gene Kelly movie. He's such a ham in it. re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
And I love Walter Slezak.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#5re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/11/06 at 11:47pm

Mack the Black
It has a great score, makin it work is the problem.
I think it has been tried before.

krytak
#6re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/12/06 at 6:03am

Oh, I'm going to Philly to see this! Some of my favorite performers are in it, and there's newcomer that I've been tracking for a while who I think will be big someday!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#7re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:01am

Gene Kelly was a ham in ALL of his movies.

bdwybug55
#8re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:51am

Yes...this is one of my least favorite movies of that genre...why do they think this will work? Should be intersting to see what happens.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#9re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/12/06 at 10:25am

Yeah...aside from Garland, Kelly and the N-Bros, the film is pretty heavy going. Imagine THE PIRATE without them.

Though I'd love to hear Marc Kudisch sing "Nina" (can't to the curly thing on my PC these day for some reason...bum keyboard).

I actually think SOMETHING TO SHOUT ABOUT would be a smoother Porter film to transfer to the stage.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#10re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/12/06 at 10:53am

THE PIRATE was a play with the Lunts before it was a Movie Musical.
So i can picture it.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#11re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:40am

With all due respect to the Lunts, it still sounds like a lumbering play. We'll see.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

krytak
#12re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 4/14/06 at 6:30am

Just learned that the show being penned now is totally different than the movie, so much so they asked the cast not to view the movie. As a matter of fact, the second act isn't written yet.

suann
#13re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 5/8/06 at 6:14pm

I saw it opening night and it was Terrible! The musicians were great but the orchestra was too thin. The new songs were like square pegs made to fit in round holes. It didn't work! Some of the actors were good but some were really not too good. The story was reworked and was terrible. It was trite and contrived. It was obvious and some really didn't make sense. The costumes were cheap and bad. The sets were good. I won't even get into the gay over and undertones.

All in all, remember the movie fondly and don't waste a dime on the show.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#14re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 5/9/06 at 12:17pm

Here's an article on the creation of the new version of the show.

the pirate

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 5/9/06 at 12:17 PM

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#15re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 5/9/06 at 12:27pm

re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate

I've always loved this film and I have always thought that it would transfer well to stage in the form of an outdoor musical however, not one of Porter's best scores and without Kelly, Garland and the Nicholas Brothers cameo it just isn't that great.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#16re: Premiere of Cole Porter's The Pirate
Posted: 5/9/06 at 2:47pm

and suann- I just want you to know that you were at the very first preview- not the opening. that is this Saturday, the 13th.

they are working out a lot of things right now, trying to make things work. it is a very talented ensemble, and they are dedicated.

(no, I'm not in it!)

student rush tix are $20 every day. come see it if you can!

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Videos