John Doyle's Into the Woods?

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#0John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:17pm

At the excouragement of a couple people, I've decided to post the "John Doyle reinvents Into the Woods" drabble I typed out in Microsoft Word a couple days ago.

The other day I was thinking about how amazing a production of Into the Woods would be if it were refashioned and directed by John Doyle, using the actor-musician style he’s become well known for as of late, with Sweeney Todd and Company. I first thought, actually, "'Your Fault' with instruments in there as well... good luck.” But the more that I think about this concept, the more I realize it could really work extremely well.

He’s already done a production in this style, and I’m sure it’s nothing like what I’m imagining. I quote from The Sondheim Review:

"He has also previously done Into the Woods using actor-musicians. Asked how the show responded to it, he answers, 'Brilliantly! The show is already fanciful and in the world of the imagination and the storyteller, so that allows for the fact very comfortably that a performer might walk across the stage playing a double bass!'"

But I wanted to expand on the idea of it all being inside the minds of the audience, so I took it farther - the show would start at the end. The characters who make it out of the fairy-tale alive would be bringing the story to life for the Baker’s child, and as Cinderella, Jack, and Little Red Ridinghood stand around the Baker and his kid the Narrator - who, like in all productions, would double as the Mysterious Man - would step out from behind the group and begin the story and take the baby as the music starts.

The set wouldn’t be half as extravagant, in fact I can imagine it being almost pointedly minimalist: no separate houses, no carriages for the stepfamily and princes, no tower for Rapunzel - as more and more of the characters joined the story, they would help to "build" it up even more with chairs, tables, ect. By the end of the first act the set would be completely built up, and as the second act progresses and more and more people were killed off, they would slowly take away more and more until by the end of “Children Will Listen” the stage would be back to the way it was in the beginning.

The acting itself could be considerably different from the [absolutely wonderful] work of the original cast, but overall I believe that would come down to direction and conscious acting choices. However I do remember reading somewhere that in this show there is no typical "villain," but the attitudes and morals of the “good guys” are their own downfalls in the end - this angle could be played up a little bit more...

As I said, it would employ the actor-musician concept, and since most songs in this show, with the exception of the prologues and finales of both acts, are solos, duets, and the like, it wouldn’t be extremely difficult to have the cast play the score. It would make some sort of sense to have the Narrator on the piano, but that’s all I’m going to say about the separate character/instrument relationships.

Anyway. Your thoughts? Feedback? Am I totally cracked out or could this work? Who would possibly be in the cast? Am I asking too many questions here? I believe I am. But I personally think it could do well. You?

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#1re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:21pm

I agree, it would work brilliantly.

I also think Parade would be AMAZING in this Musician/Actor thing. Just think of the group scenes, like Where Will You Stand and stuff... oooh, it gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

but i do wonder when this craze will end and the musicians union will finally get a good nights sleep

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Ryanindc
#2re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:35pm

I would like to see that, but it won't happen in New York any time soon, not with the recent revival of the show a few years ago. That production, imo, was a better interpretation of the material than the original. (I'll probably be crucified for saying that, but I stand by it)

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#3re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:36pm

oh i LOVED the revival (i saw Vanessa's understudy so it was even better!)

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#4re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:41pm

I actually think Doyle would do a good Into the Woods. I think Sunday would also really lend itself--with George being the only one who doesn't play an instrument, EXCEPT for when he's by himself and painting (during Finishing the Hat, Color and Light, etc...) . And I want his instrument to be the piano.

It seems like it would be completely autobiographical and amazingly metaphorical.

Your idea of putting them with the baby at the beginning is like placing two mirrors next to one another :P

yr ronin,
joey

Jess1483
#5re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:43pm

I'm actually doing ITW right now and our narrator is also our pianist and our conductor (though we have someone else playing the mysterious man). Pretty damn impressive.
That didn't really add to the discussion, but I just got back from final dress, so that's what was on my mind.

Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our fingers through the flame? Why do we leave our hands on the stove, although we know we're in for some pain? -tick...tick...BOOM!

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#6re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:48pm

Even though I wasn't a fan of her Elphaba, I think Stephanie J. Block would be fabulous as The Witch. I forget which concert it was, but she sang the HELL out of "Children Will Listen."

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

BSoBW2
#7re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:50pm

I think John Doyle needs to be stopped.

Soon we will outsource every musician for an actor.

John Doyle has become the DELL of Broadway.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#8re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:56pm

I personally love this actor-musician concept (as of now, it's possible the novelty of it will wear off) and I can definitely see both "Into the Woods" and "Parade" in a Doyle-like production. I can't see "Sunday in the Park..." though.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

BSoBW2
#9re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:57pm

Or Ragtime....and as Tateh becomes more "American-ized" he loses his fiddle...

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#10re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:59pm

I'm so sick of people singing the hell out of things. I wish people would sing them with genuine emotion and art.

I think the music already takes care of that in Ragtime.

yr ronin,
joey

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#11re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 12:14am

I would like to see Doyle direct anything - but I'd like to see something WITHOUT this concept.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Isabella2
#12re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 12:51am

"I'm so sick of people singing the hell out of things. I wish people would sing them with genuine emotion and art."
I'm with ya on that one. I think it's a great idea, but before you know it, every musical will be like this and then i'll be out of a career choice. I better practice my violin.

I think rapunzel should at least have a tower.

bigrab1018 Profile Photo
bigrab1018
#13re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 12:55am

I think that two actor-musician productions by John Doyle on Broadway is enough for now. I don't want Broadway to be taken over by minimalist John Doyle actor-musician shows.

"Billy, put down that phylactery...we're Episcopalian." - Spelling Bee

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#14re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 1:40am

Funny how people think that a new technique that is successful on Broadway is old after only one show is playing on Broadway and one more is announced. Let's see how Company fares and then decide if it gets "old". Doyle, bring 'em on!

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#15re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 1:50am

Well, frankly Bsobw - looking at your avatar only makes me think how Scott Eliott needs to be stopped...

It's actually amusing to me how many people feel threatened by Doyle's shows being on Broadway. Firstly, I don't believe we are going to see his style much copied by other producers and directors to "save a dime" because at this point nobody but Doyle would be able to get away with it in the press.

This is not a style unique or originating with him, but for the time being it is a style that applied to American Musical Theatre is distinctly his own.

If he can make productions of COMPANY and MACK AND MABEL seem fresh and current and thus worthy of Broadway productions, than he's done more than most directors of these works over the past thirty years.

And it should be noted that not all Doyle productions are "minimalist." He usually uses the least number of actors as possible to tell the story, but his productions of MACK AND MABEL and FIDDLER certainly feature period costumes and sets.
Updated On: 4/13/06 at 01:50 AM

DG
#16re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 1:54am

"I wish people would sing them with genuine emotion and art."

Get thee to JACQUES BREL.

andyf
#17re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 1:57am

One more reason to wish that revival had never happened.

I would love to see this proposed version.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#18re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 2:49am

Big fan of the revival here.

bdwybug55
#19re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 9:28am

I agree with those against John Doyle actors as musicians productions. Not that I don't appreciate all the thought you put into your idea. "Sweeney" was fine but I don't want to see a lot of these shows popping up. It just seems like another to save money while putting other people out of jobs and, at least for me, gipping the audience as well.

Musical Director
#20re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 9:40am

I have had enough of this "actors being the orchestra" theatre. I can see it working once, but come on! It's a gimmick! I personally think the musical drama has been taken out of SWEENEY TODD. The orchestra was another character in that show. I didn't like it at all. Just my opinion, though.

sicetergo
#21re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 9:45am

re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?

I saw John Doyle's version of ITTW and thought it was quite beautiful, very simple in it's execution with minimum of set and a prodigiously acted, sung and played.
Updated On: 4/13/06 at 09:45 AM

knows_too_much Profile Photo
knows_too_much
#22re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 10:26am

I know they're a little different but...

Does know one remember the revival of Cabaret? John Doyle is not the first person to have actors playing instruments.

VonTussleGirl
I LOVE your concept for ITW, I think it would be great wheather they play instruments or not.

I Wish... Madeline Kahn could have played the Witch in Into the Woods. She would have rocked!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#23re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 11:08am

I don't think the revival of CABARET really counts...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#24re: John Doyle's Into the Woods?
Posted: 4/13/06 at 11:10am

Although I don't want to overkill Doyle's concept, as soon as I heard about Sweeney Todd, I thought "Into the Woods would work brilliantly like this."

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Videos