Kids and Les Miserables?

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#0Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 12:31am

I've heard from so many people that they saw Les Miz when they were pretty young, and loved it, and it was the first show they fell in love with.

So I suggested to my cousin to bring his kids to it. He looked at me like I was crazy. He said they wouldn't understand it and would be bored. So I thought more and totally understood why he reacted that way.

So, how do you feel about little kids seeing Les Miz? I'm sure it depends on the child, but would you recommend for a child to see Les Miz or to avoid it?

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

BSoBW2
#1re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 12:34am

How old is said child?
How mature?

I saw Les Mis at 4 or 5 and my parents were against it. Actually, most people we knew were. They said, "How can you take a child that young to Les Mis!" (Back in the day when it reached 3 hours!) But my uncle told them to shut up and he took up. And, well, the rest is history.

But the idea of children in the theatre isn't the best. I think we sat up in the mezz...which is weird because my uncle (who has been going to the theatre since the thirties) ALWAYS sits in the house seats, or so.

But I do know my parents went before me to make sure it was OK.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 12:42am

I think it's generally a good rule that if the kid is young enough to BE IN the show, they're probably too young to see it. Or at least appreciate it.

Actor kids excepted, of course... re: Kids and Les Miserables?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bigrab1018 Profile Photo
bigrab1018
#3re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 12:49am

So are you saying that since the History Boys cast is mostly teenagers, then teenagers shouldn't be able to see the History Boys?

"Billy, put down that phylactery...we're Episcopalian." - Spelling Bee

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 1:14am

No, I'm not. And I think you knew that.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

#5re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 1:20am

As BSo said, I think a lot of it largely depends on the maturity of the child.

That said, I think explaining the story in-depth to children beforehand helps a lot. I believe I was around eight the first time I saw it and had no idea what was going on. I enjoyed it, but more for the visuals. My parents continued to play the cast recording, and later, I actually asked what was going on. We sat down with the synopsis and I eventually understood it. I saw it again on Broadway a couple years later and didn't feel it was too mature at all. Sometimes pointing even a more mature child in the right direction can help them to understand the show a lot better -- it's not always the mature themes but rather the plotline that makes it hard for children to understand.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#6re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 9:59am

You didn't say their ages or how much theater exposure they have. So, I suggest you have them view the Les Miz in Concert video first. If they understand and like it , at least you'll have a heads up if they're ready for the 2:45 full show.

Have fun!

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

Holly Therese Profile Photo
Holly Therese
#7re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 10:00am

I agree, if you explain the show first and maybe play some of the songs that should be good preparation for them.

"You know, with the right volume, Patti LuPone can make a car bounce, too...." -Wonderwaiter

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#8re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 11:22am

I saw the musical when I was in third grade. As I look back on it now, did I understand Fantine selling herself? Not really. But I understood Valjean and Javert, and Fantine having to give up her child and such.

There are parts of it I understood and didn't understand. But all I knew was I loved the music and the spectacle.

Now I sit back and watch the anniversary movie saying, Now I get it!

Updated On: 5/2/19 at 11:22 AM

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#9re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 12:27pm

It depends on the kid, as a kid I would have loved to see a Broadway show.

I was thrilled by my first show and it wasn't exactly "exciting" like the current hits.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#10re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 1:41pm

I saw it when I was 6, and I fell in love with it. I was spellbound for the whole 3 hours. I think it's a great first show, kids don't understand everything the story is so powerful that they will understand enough.

Phantomerik15 Profile Photo
Phantomerik15
#11re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 2:01pm

I saw it when I was 4 back in 1995. it was my first Broadway show and i immediately fell in love with it...I don't know exactly why because I'm sure I couldn't understand most of it but I think I fell in love with it mostly because it was new to me. Seeing something live as opposed to a movie or television show is real different. The spectacle and the effects, songs and vocals captivated me. And it was then that I fell in love with theatre.
I would think it depends if the child is old enough up to an extent. for example: a child under 7 or 8 who was exposed to the word "whore" or "b*tch" etc could go into the theatre and well, not understand any of the things said or mentioned. So that's probably ok. They could just enjoy the effects and the whole idea of it being "live." I would mostly think they wouldnt care what the story is about, maybe they'll even think it was "cool" or something because there was the barricades going up. I wouldn't think they would listen a whole lot on the lyrics. maybe to the medely and instruments but most likely not the lyrics.
But if the child is like 9 through 11 or something and they might have to be mature up to an extent because during those ages, i think, they're striving for more understanding and during those ages, they have the ability to pick up the words said/sung.
...well, these are just my opinions.

Back, he spurred like a madman, shrieking a curse to the sky. With the white road smoking behind him and his rapier brandished high! Blood-red were the spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat, when they shot him down on the highway, down like a dog on the highway, and he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat... (The Highwayman. Sung by: Loreena McKennitt)

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#12re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 5:53pm

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

To clarify, I don't think it's happening with my particular cousins, as their parents don't particularly like the show, but the discussion made me think about it just in general.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

singingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
#13re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 5:59pm

I love the idea of introducing kids to all sorts of performances, but the best advice I'd ever heard came from a much older arts patron. She said that she would take her children to just about anything, but she was always prepared to leave if/when they got restless and noisy. Therefore, my advice is, take children to arts events, but if they are under the age of 8, don't count on seeing the whole show.

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#14re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 6:06pm

I saw Les Miz in 1989, when I was 9. My sister was 8. We'd been going to the theater ever since we were very young, and were always well behaved little girls.

Les Miz was the first (or one of the first) Broadway shows I ever say. And although I didn't understand all of what was happening (It would be YEARS until I learned that the "lovely ladies" were prostitutes - by which time I already had the score memorized) I absolutely LOVED the show. Gavroche's death was particularly moving for me. I remember being VERY affected by seeing a child die onstage, and it made me reflect on life and death. I'm not a fan of the show anymore, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

I'd say never underestimate children.
Updated On: 4/14/06 at 06:06 PM

EganFan2
#15re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 6:12pm

If you know the kids get bored easily...I don't know if they would sit through it. It's a lot of singing, and the action doesn't move that quickly (IMO). You can rent the 10th anniversary concert on video, maybe, and see if they like that.

brdlwyr
#16re: Kids and Les Miserables?
Posted: 4/14/06 at 6:16pm

My son was only 6 when he saw it and he loved it and did not even squirm. But, he is a veteran theater goer!