pixeltracker

Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current "Sweeney Todd"- Page 2

Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current "Sweeney Todd"

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#25re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 5:37pm

But if Stephen Schwartz is a representative of the artistic community, which he is, then he should act with respect towards that community. Stephen Schwartz is a distinguished member of the musical theatre world and as such he has the responsibility towards the performers, composer, crew and staff of Sweeney Todd to grin and bear it. A major part of celebrity and support of the musical theatre community involves responsibility, and respectfulness which walking out on a production does not entail.

This is all the more relevant when you consider the fact that Patti Lupone was a leading player, someone who has worked with Schwartz for years.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#26re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 5:45pm

I am not crazy about this "Sweeney" as well. It looks cheap.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#27re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 5:48pm

I happen to respect Schwartz as a composer (especially in his earlier works), but he's gotta stop walking out of shows/events when he's not happy. Didn't the 'Forbidden Broadway' skit send a clear message?

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#28re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'

Absolutely, Sum. If I go see something, and somebody I know is performing in it, I stay through the whole thing no matter how awful I might think it is.

eta: Heck. I stayed through something awful not too long ago just because a friend of a friend was a behind-the-scenes person with the show. re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd' Updated On: 4/25/06 at 05:48 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#29re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'

Wait... I thought he didn't like the show. So what? That would put him in a league with MANY other distinguished members of the theatre community.

However... If there's a rumor circulating that he actually walked out of the performance, that's not even in this article.

Where did it come from? And why do you believe it's true?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#30re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 5:49pm

Yeah cause if you dont have a chandeleir or helicopter any musical looks cheap re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'

Seriously guys I think we are missing the point with Sweeney. My friends who despise musicals loved this production. Their comments were along the lines of "brave, bold and wasnt a phoney musical with all the applause nonsense".

I love this production for other reaons of course. My point is that a lot of musical theatre fans will simply not "get" it. Much in the same way actors back in the day were shocked when women were allowed to play female roles on stage.

tz0o
#31re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 5:50pm

Heh, just goes to show you that you learn something new about theatre etiquitte every day.

You insult me, I ignore you. That's how the system works around here.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#32re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 5:50pm

Haha, wait, tell me about this skit.

Um, if you don't like something, you're perfectly free to leave. If that's his personality then people just have to accept it. Maybe you're nicer than some Calvin. I'd stay too (and I thought the new production of Sweeney Todd was enjoyable and would not have walked out of it), but still. People can do what they is want.

yr ronin,
joey

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#33re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 5:51pm

Okay, despite my username I am no longer a Wicked fanatic.

Does he realize what crap he has on Broadway compared to that AMAZING production.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#34re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 5:51pm

If he really didn't care for the show, he could have slipped out quietly at intermission. Walking out during a show is not just disruptive to the cast and people around you, it makes a statement. That statement carries additional weight if you happen to be the composer of the highest grossing show currently on Broadway.

Tacky, tacky, tacky.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."
Updated On: 4/25/06 at 05:51 PM

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#35re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 5:52pm

The original "Sweeney" didn't have a chandeleir or helicopter and didn't look cheap at all.

You missed my point.
Updated On: 4/25/06 at 05:52 PM

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#36re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 5:53pm

And you clearly missed my pointre: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#37re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 5:54pm

then we are even.

RentBoy86
#38re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:04pm

How does it look cheap? its beautifully designed. Its simplistic. Trust me, the small scale of the show is not due to lack of funding. Its called an artistic choice. I liked the idea of the actors playing instruments. It just added another element to the complex story. I agree, the show is hard to follow without a normal setting, but it just begs to audience to pay attention more.

And as for Schwartz. Taht was just plain tacky. I really like Children of Eden and Baker's Wife and Wicked, but c'mon, at least stay until intermission. That is just tacky. I would say that about anyone leaving during a show.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#39re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:08pm

*sigh*

I don't get why people walk out of shows. If you've paid 100 bucks (or close to it) why don't you stay and enjoy it. Lots of people can't even afford to go see a broadway show. Enjoy the atmosphere. admire the orchestra. try and pick out sounds. admire the set or the actors and people watch.

i dunno... i'm off the opinion that a trip to the theater is an event. so i lover every moment of a show. even if it's bad (i've sat through Aida and Starlight Express and more).

but if you abso. can't stand it. Than slip out during intermission.

it's much more polite and causing lots less annoyance etc

ok. done re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Isabella2
#40re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:21pm

well if you ask me, shwartz can in no way compare to sondheim so it's really quite ironic how he's speaking against this "Sweeney". In case he didnt notice, the acting in this production is better than any other production of sweeney that i've seen. Updated On: 9/6/06 at 06:21 PM

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#41re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:24pm

Well that was kind of rude, especially when one of his former castmembers is there and CAN SEE HIM. I mean if you don't like it, that's fine, but to leave like that...not so nice.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine
Updated On: 4/25/06 at 06:24 PM

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#42re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:26pm

wow. what a moron.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Sumofallthings
#43re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:29pm

My point is that Stephen Schwartz is not an ordinary theatregoer when he enters a theatre, he is a representative of a medium. If he feels the need to walk out he is doing it of his own free will, which is perfectly fine, but it carries consequences and implications regarding his respect towards the medium he represents.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#44re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:32pm

I do think Sondheim is way more talented than Shwartz, but I hate when people say stuff like this person can not compare to Sondheim so they don't count or they were scared, or whatnot. Yes, Sondheim is a genius but there are other composers out there than him. I just had to put that out there, since I do it all the time re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'

Now, in regards to this . . . I don't think it's right when anyone just walks out on any show, no matter who they are. At least have some respect for the actors and wait until intermission.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

mrslovett7
#45re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:36pm

Stephen Schwartz is a very sweet man, he came and visited my school and i talked to him for a bit and he is very helpful and polite. I don't think anyone should HAVE to like Sweeney, however if you are going to see it atleast be respectful and sit through it or leave at intermission. ESPECIALLY if you're friends with someone in the show! i mean that's just rude.

If i can sit through Mama Mia without my head blowing up he can definately sit through Sweeney Todd

~H* "I slept through the nominations, as I always do. Anything I need to know, I'll find out when I get up at a reasonable hour!" -Michael Cerveris

CherylA928 Profile Photo
CherylA928
#46re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:45pm

You are all so quick to judge.

I was sitting two rows behind Mr. Schwartz that night and yes, he did leave during intermission.

From what I heard, there had been a family emergency.
I understand that he called the company the next morning to apologize and make arrangements to see the show again.

It's never too late to live happily ever after!

Sumofallthings
#47re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:46pm

If that's the case then...consider this a preemptive thread for the next time.

tz0o
#48re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:48pm

Oops. Our bad then. :)

You insult me, I ignore you. That's how the system works around here.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#49re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/25/06 at 6:53pm

Don't you all just feel like asses now?

Honestly, why make a thread to simply bash Schwartz? You know that is all that could come from this thread, right?

Learn the facts before you judge, can we just allow eachother that?