ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T

whateverman
#0ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 3:55pm

The BEST Mimi EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone else love her like i do? That VOICE... and her Mimi has a real HUMAN quality. NICE!~ Updated On: 4/26/06 at 03:55 PM

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#1re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:00pm

You meant to add, "that is currently playing the roll" right?

I'd love to hear some specific reasons and examples as to why you feel this way.

What did Antonique do that the other Mimi's that you've seen didn't do or did differently that makes you feel this way?

outovfashion07
#2re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:02pm

I think she sounds like a horse when she sings.

whateverman
#3re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:03pm

no i didnt mean to add that actually.. but i did add more to why i feel this way.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#4re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:04pm

I think she was one of the few people seriously considered along with Rosario Dawson for the film. There are clips of her online. I think she's just fair. That chick from the German production is probably the best I've seen outside of Daphne.

whateverman
#5re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:09pm

really? for the film huh? i could see that. her acting is subtle and natural and would have worked well on film. gotta check out the German chick. Her name? i've see clips of Antonique online too.. out tonight/let it be.. amazing. the best singing Mimi to me.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#6re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:09pm

I found her Mimi to be a bit to "harsh".

I will put some of that blame on the sound system which was still new at the time but I didn't see any sign of vulnerability in her performance at all.

She was a very "tough" Mimi, which I have no problem with, but I didn't believe that she was sick. Vocally she was fine, but not great.

She also had zero chemistry with Joshua Kobak who was the Roger I saw opposite her, but I'll put that blame on him since he didn't seem to have much chemistry with anyone else in the show either.

I suppose it's possible that I saw a down performance from her as I know a lot of people really love her, but I can think of 5 or 6 Mimi's off the top of my head that I enjoyed much more than Antonique. She wasn't the worst I've ever seen, but far from the best. Updated On: 4/26/06 at 04:09 PM

yodamarie78 Profile Photo
yodamarie78
#7re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:10pm

I wasn't very impressed with her. I thought she lacked vulnerability that is a necessity for Mimi's character arc. She came off as very tough, which is fine, but there needs to be something underneath.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#8re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:14pm

I haven't ever seen a more vulnerable Mimi than Ms. Smith.

Her "Goodbye Love" is disturbing and jarring. He can't even get words out at times because she is sobbing. I believed her every second of the performance, and she's in fine vocal form.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#9re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:19pm

i didn't get to see her but im sure she is wonderful, i loved Krystal L. Washington as Mimi though.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

whateverman
#10re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:20pm

OMG munk i agree. her goodbye love and Without You had me GAgging! lol .. in a good way that is. all the vulnerability was right there to me.

Updated On: 4/26/06 at 04:20 PM

DancNdaMoonlite Profile Photo
DancNdaMoonlite
#11re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:41pm

I thought she was amazing. Especially in Without You and Goodbye Love. I can't even put into words how good she was in those songs.

dbooher25 Profile Photo
dbooher25
#12re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:44pm

I feel you on the Krystal L. Washington praise. I have never seen anyone work the rail in "Out Tonight" like she does! And chords of steel to bout!

FabalaYero85
#13re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:48pm

Nobody can hold a candle to Karmine and Daphne. haha

I love Antonique...but not in Rent. she is a sweetheart. but her Out Tonight just makes me want break something. I've seen her with Jay and Will...still waiting for her and Tim, but would killed to have seen her and Cary.

hmm...

colleen_lee
#14re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:49pm

Anthonique has dreadful vocal technique. Some people like it cause they think her voice is reminiscent of Daphne, I personally just found it painful. That girl is going to get nodes if she doesn't watch it, there is so much tension in her throat and it's just not safe.

I also found her character portrayal to be pretty two-dimensional.

Just out of curiousity, what other Mimis have you actually seen?

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

HBG Profile Photo
HBG
#15re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 5:02pm

I saw her and thought she was amazing! Not only does she have a great voice, but I have never seen such an emotional performance on a stage. She nearly brought me to tears and was just so real. I loved her!

"Free from what, Tracy? Free from what?"

onelastrefrain2 Profile Photo
onelastrefrain2
#16re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 5:10pm

I can't stand Antonique's performance as Mimi, though she really is a sweet girl. Her vocals are way too low and raspy for my liking and her acting.. I don't know if you would really consider it that. Not to be harsh or anything, but when you compare her to someone like Karmine Alers or Daphne..yeah

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#17re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 5:18pm

Not sure why it matters who I've seen, but I've seen nearly all the Mimi's, if not all of them. Here is who I can think off:

Daphni Rubin-Vega
Karmine Alers
Melanie Brown
Krysten Cummings
Maya Days
Marcy Harriell
Antonique Smith
Loraine Velez
Krystal L. Washington
Caren Lyn Manuel
Yasmine Alers

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

colleen_lee
#18re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 5:21pm

I wasn't asking you munk, I was asking the original poster.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
Updated On: 4/26/06 at 05:21 PM

overthemoon419 Profile Photo
overthemoon419
#19re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 6:26pm

I totally disagree. I found Antonique's Mimi much too fierce, and her voice, albeit powerful, never blended with the rest of the cast. She overpowered everyone else, and I didn't feel as though she was in any way vulnerable. Mimi's supposed to appear confident, but Antonique's Mimi was too confident - on more than one occasion, she SHOVED Roger. I always felt Mimi had vulnerability, an insecurity; qualities that make her a real character beyond the book, and Antonique didn't possess/express anything like that at the performance I saw.

"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?

colleen_lee
#20re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 6:30pm

I agree overthemoon. The last time I saw the show was when Will Chase was in for that short run a few months ago. He played a very aggressive Roger, and paired with Anthonique's overly brash Mimi they were borderline physically abusive.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#21re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 6:35pm

I think some parts of her performance display too much confidence in the way of being very flirtacious, but she kind of wavers in and out of that. Overall, I like her a lot.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#22re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 6:43pm

Antonique is my favorite Mimi that I've seen. I love her voice, and she is the sweetest person ever at stagedoor.

perfectliar
#23re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/26/06 at 6:57pm

I've only seen her as Maureen, and I wasn't impressed. Her singing sounded more like yelling to me.

ozone20 Profile Photo
ozone20
#24re: ANTONIQUE SMITH - r En T
Posted: 4/27/06 at 9:32am

Hey how was Loraine velez in the role of MIMI// was always curious. anyone know?

Videos