Threepenny extended!

shesamarshmallow
#0Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/3/06 at 8:58pm

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117942505&categoryID=15&cs=1

Is it selling well, despite reviews?

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Anne_here Profile Photo
Anne_here
#1re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/3/06 at 9:03pm

Great news! I loved this production!

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#2re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/3/06 at 9:04pm

How long (what date) did it extend to? I can't read the whole Variety article since I don't subscribe.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#3re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/3/06 at 9:16pm

Finally some well deserved good news! I love this show and am so happy for all these great artists!

Did it mention when tickets will go on sale? I am going to get tickets for the final performance right when it goes on sale!

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#4re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/3/06 at 10:35pm

It says another week.

Hum, surprising. While I enjoyed this production a whole lot, it just didn't seem like something anyone would be pushing for to be extended. Maybe now we'll get a recording of it.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

marlomanners
#5re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/3/06 at 11:31pm

I'm seeing it on June 17th! Can't wait!

www.isawearthlings.com

blueroses
#6re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 12:04am

I haven't seen it. How was Cyndi?

RentBoy86
#7re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 12:07am

I hope something picks this show up for a recording. If they can record "trailer park: the musical" - they can record this.

sondwisenheimer Profile Photo
sondwisenheimer
#8re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 12:07am

Regardless of the quality of the production itself, I hope they do a recording based solely on the cast and the translation.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#9re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 12:29am

Especially since the original (American) cast recording sucks. Marc Blitzstein's translation sounds like it was done by Oscar Hammerstein.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#10re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 1:59am

Wow, I found out 2 hours ago that someone got me tickets for closing night, and now I find out it's not closing night. Heh.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#11re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 3:47am

"Especially since the original (American) cast recording sucks. Marc Blitzstein's translation sounds like it was done by Oscar Hammerstein."

Really? You're certainly in the minority there. And would it really be such a bad thing if Oscar Hammerstein had translated it? Is that really a negative comment? That's like saying "oh that pizza you ordered from Pizza Hut was terrible! It tasted like Wolfgang Puck cooked it!" I get that prolly you meant it's not a good match for the material... but still.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.
Updated On: 5/4/06 at 03:47 AM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#12re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 3:48am

I know I already posted a response... but... I still can't quite get over the fact that you think the Off-Broadway cast sucks... Jo Sullivan, Bea Arthur, Lotte Lenya, Charlotte Rae... sucks? Really? Sheesh. You're hard to please.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.
Updated On: 5/4/06 at 03:48 AM

FoscasBohemianDream
#13re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 4:29am

I believe The Distinctive Baritone didn't mean to say that Oscar Hammerstein's lyrics are mediocre or pedestrian, he probably meant that Marc Blitzstein's lyrics are too sanitized and censored so they sound like they belong to a happy, romantic Rodgers/Hammerstein show, instead of being more dark and explicit like the new translation.

FeelingElectric
#14re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 5:27am

I am very happy to hear about the extention. Hopefully, we will get an official Cast Recording announcement for this incredible production soon.blueroses, Cyndi is great in this production. She is long overdue for Broadway. The actress that most impressed me in this production however is Ana Gasteyer. She is absolutely sensational!

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#15re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 5:59am

That's great news!
And I also agree for the cast recording!!
:)!

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

BSoBW2
#16re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 12:45pm

Blitzstein's translation was probably shocking in the 30's.
Then again, Wallace Shawn's translation isn't very "shocking" - like I've said - what DOES shock us nowadays?

FeelingElectric - Ana Gasteyer MOST impressed you? Wow. Did we see the same production? She's got a great voice - and by the end of the performance she finds her acting style...but until then it is somewhat painful (though I look past it because of that voice!).

This production belongs to Lauper and Rooney all the way.

uncamark
#17re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 12:50pm

As noted on another thread, another indication that the Times means diddle these days when it comes to Broadway box office.

blueroses
#18re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 12:52pm

I love Ana Gasteyer. Her skits on SNL were classic--especially the music teacher, Martha Stewart's topless Christmas and the NPR chick (Shwettie Balls!)

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#19re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 1:16pm

Blitzen's translation would have been shocking in the 30's... but of course it didn't exsist. The Blitzen translation was first performed in 1954... or 55... one or the other... so you're a couple of decades off.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

Shiksa Goddess2
#20re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 1:27pm

I hope this means a cast recording as well- I can't stop watching the Broadway.com videos, I just love the was this cast sounds! I wish it were extended more than a week though- I want to be able to go see it re: Threepenny extended!.

BSoBW2
#21re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 1:32pm

I'm aware.

I was joking.
Consider the show was written in 1928...

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#22re: Threepenny extended!
Posted: 5/4/06 at 2:57pm

All I can say is that I am too damn excited! I just got front row center orchestra seats for the final performance! I cant wait!

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

Videos