Caine Mutiny Closing?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#25re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 3:58pm

Nor can I, I find that hard to believe, especially because it doesn't suck.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#26re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 4:07pm

All those WOnderful character actors lose work and Julia keeps rollin' along!
Oye!

jsrocks
#27re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 4:09pm

So did I miss something, but why are they closing so early?

"Michael's got a head like a Ping Pong Ball" -The Cast of Sweeney-

munkustrap178
#28re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 4:11pm

Poor ticket sales?

I don't know. It really doesn't make much sense - it just OPENED.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MargoChanning
#29re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 4:12pm

Not sure if the rumor is true or not, but its box office figures have been pretty abysmal. They've yet to crack 50% attendance and have been hovering around the low 40s with heavy discounts, losing lots of money every week. Apparently David Schwimmer has ZERO box office appeal.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

munkustrap178
#30re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 4:12pm

Well I think CJR confirmed the rumor...

MargoChanning
#31re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 4:17pm

It's just sort of odd they wouldn't wait 5 days until the nominations come out and see what happens. Ivanek is likely to be nominated and the production may get a nod for best revival.

And it also seems odd that the day this rumor started was the same day the producers of the show announced their free tickets for military personnel program. Why got to the trouble of putting together a big promotional effort if you know you're closing the show in a few days?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#32re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 4:32pm

On holiday in Chicago recently a friend pointed out 'Schwimmer's Theater'--a beautiful, old structure near Magnificent Mile. We walked by in reverence (rich actor remains connected to the theater blah, blah, blah.)
However, after suffering through one act (oh glorious intermission) of Schwimmer cardboard acting, I want to return and kick the building.

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston
Updated On: 5/11/06 at 04:32 PM

sondwisenheimer Profile Photo
sondwisenheimer
#33re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 5:03pm

Nomdeplume, you're exactly right. "Recision" is a perfectly good word meaning to rescind. I can't believe I've never come across it before.

I recise my earlier statement.

nomdeplume
#34re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 5:45pm

Ah, "revise," sondwisenheimer?

I attended the show last night and I did think the faces of the cast seemed a little grim during their two bows, which ended a bit abruptly while the half audience was rising, trying to give them a standing ovation.

The control Ivanek has over his shaking hand is amazing. He's giving quite a performance. And he didn't grandstand his exit from the witness stand, either, the way the second psychiatrist did to get applause, so that kept Ivanek's performance "in the moment," which I most appreciated.

sondwisenheimer
#35re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 5:50pm

No, "recise." It was a "recision" joke.

nomdeplume
#36re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 5:51pm

Well, you found a word that truly isn't!

Carry on, I love absurdist theatre!

sondwisenheimer
#37re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 5:55pm

I know. I just don't see how there can be "recision" without "recising."

Who decises these things?

nomdeplume
#38re: Caine Mutiny Closing?
Posted: 5/11/06 at 6:08pm

Rescindion doesn't do it for me.

Then again, neither does the accordion.
Updated On: 5/11/06 at 06:08 PM

being.jeremiah
#39It's Official
Posted: 5/16/06 at 11:58am

CAINE MUTINY COURT-MARTIAL closes SUNDAY the 21st.

ghostlight2
#40It's Official...probably....
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:39pm

"I remember reading somewhere, maybe back just before All Shook Up closed that it's a union rule to post a closing date for the cast and crew a certain amount of time ahead of the actual closing, but that this closing notice does not have to be released publicly and could be continually postponed. This would be done as a safe guard for shows that weren't doing well financially and gives them a quick out if needed.

Hopefully someone can clarify this."

You are almost exactly correct, frogfan. It is not unheard of for a show's notice to go up (meaning the show will close at the end of the week) and then be taken down only to go back up again the very next week. So even if jeremiah's post is true (and I have no reason to doubt him/her), the notice could come back down again.

I remember one show where they did this for months (in that particular incident, the theatre eventually invoked the stop clause, ending the cycle and the show).

The public need never be the wiser, unless the producers are making a last ditch money grab, which is when you get those trumpeting press releases "Final weeks to see (fill in the blank)!!"

Once a notice goes up, the show can be closed immediately, but this rarely happens as the cast and crew still have to be paid the week anyway, so why not play out the last few shows?

Probably much more info than you wanted, FrogFan, but there it is.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#41It's Official...probably....
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:42pm

Worth trying to see before it closes?

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#42It's Official...probably....
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:05pm

Thank you. That clears it up.

jsrocks
#43It's Official...probably....
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:10pm

Well it's true now. That's too bad. It's Official...probably....

"Michael's got a head like a Ping Pong Ball" -The Cast of Sweeney-

ghostlight2
#44It's Official...probably....
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:22pm

If you have any interest in it at all, wickedrentq, I'd say yes, go. I'm sure it's up at TKTS.

The piece itself (IMO) didn't age well, but there are some really nice performances. I particularly liked Brian Reddy's turn as one of the doctors, and of course, Ivanek is quite amazing.

I only pretty much confirmed what you already had supposed, but you're welcome, anyway, frogs fan.

Really too bad, though. A nice ensemble. I'd really hoped it would have a bit of a run.

RentBoy86
#45It's Official...probably....
Posted: 5/16/06 at 2:24pm

I think it he would have big a bigger box office appeal had he been in something funny. Although, he was never the biggest star of the television show.

munkustrap178
#46It's Official...probably....
Posted: 5/16/06 at 2:29pm

I don't blame it totally on Schwimmer - CAINE MUTINY isn't a play that appeals to the masses - it's very long, it's very slow moving, and it's very wordy. It's a good play, but it's certainly not overwhelmingly appealing. With a better leading man and a suitable director, the play would have found more of a success.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#47It's Official...probably....
Posted: 5/16/06 at 4:23pm

what kind of reviews did this play get?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Yankeefan007
#48It's Official...probably....
Posted: 5/16/06 at 4:24pm

Tepid to scathing.

FriendsDiva
#49It's Official...probably....
Posted: 5/16/06 at 8:12pm

okay you people , all you have wanted to do is slam the show. I have not seen Caine yet, and sincerely hope that i can. As for the one actor David Schwimmer, as a fan , yes i am a friends fan, but this is a man that can make you laugh one minute and then bring you tears. Yes he played the role of Dr. Ross Geller, but this is a man that has worked with Woody Allen, Steven Spielberg and has the most range that i could see. All I am saying is to let history be history , and give this actor his due.