chad2 Profile Photo
chad2
#25re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 7:51pm

When will they have Wicked Happy Meals?

Thesbijean
#26re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 7:53pm

If it counts for anything, I don't love Wicked...

DramaDork925
#27re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 7:57pm

I like Wicked. It's not my favorite, but it's something I can relate to. I know how it feels to be an Elphaba and have no one like you and I know what it's like to be a Glinda and be what people want you to be. That's why teenage girls (and boys) are drawn to it so much. And the amount of spectacle of course. I recently saw it for the first time with the amazing Julia Murney and I'm sure thats the main reason why I like it as much as I do. Was it the best show I've seen this year? No. The best show I've seen so far is a community theatre production of Assassins.

Am I cut out to spend my time this way?
Updated On: 5/13/06 at 07:57 PM

#28re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 8:02pm

i loved the original book (i was suprised that it hadnt been mentioned in the thread) so i was actually dreading it being turned into a musical.
in fact, i've still never seen it.
but i *LOVE*LOVE*LOVE* the original cast recording... so much so that i dont think seeing the show could match up to the scenes i've staged in my imagination.
to go a little deeper, i relate to the story of the misunderstood outsider.

Thesbijean
#29re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 8:04pm

I think you give the average teenage boy and girl too much credit.

I think they like belting and mediocre storytelling...

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#30re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 8:05pm

" In the history of musical theater it will be seen as a "blip" on radar....and will not even be mentioned 15 years from now.........."

Honestly i seriously doubt that.

The musical goes strong there and on tour selling out.

Its got a base audience that will be there for quite some time.

The fact that it still sells out far from the stars says a lot.

Thesbijean
#31re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 8:07pm

It certainly won't go down as one of Broadway's best musicals, but with Lion King it will most likely go down as one of Broadway's biggest hits...

ThankstoPhantom
#32re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 8:08pm

It's not the greatest show ever, but it's ashow that gives me much joy while watching it. That's why I've seen it twice. I won't scramble to see it, but I'll go when I have an opportunity (this time it'll be when the tour comes rolling in) or if I know someone in it. It's good quality entertainment that is a huge blockbuster because families can go and all get something out of it.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

DramaDork925
#33re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 8:19pm

Maybe the music is drawing in teenagers just as much as the story but I have yet to have spoken to one person who is in love with the show who doesn't see themself in either Elphaba or Glinda.

Am I cut out to spend my time this way?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#34re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 8:38pm

When I saw it, I was really awed by a lot of the visual aspects, such as the lighting, costumes, and scenery. It's one of those shows that is fun to look at.

Also, I think a lot of people go to see it because it relates to the Wizard of Oz. It's another family-friendly show.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#35re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 8:51pm

"In the history of musical theater it will be seen as a "blip" on radar....and will not even be mentioned 15 years from now.........."

Love or hate Wicked, it's going to be far more than a blip on the radar. In fact, I'd venture a guess that it may still be playing the Gershwin in 15 years!

elphieisperky
#36re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 9:44pm

I'm not OBSESSED, but I love Wicked. Loving Wicked is different than loving, let's say, Rent. Rent, you can state your reasons. But Wicked? Some people actually think it's a good show. But now that I think about it, it's not people that don't like it that bother me (heck, everyone is allowed to like what they like), but how teenagers (mostly girls, which I am one) are stereotypes for being 'obsessed' with this show. And like many people are saying here, not everyone loves it. Some do like it more than others, but who cares? It's just a show, IMHO!

greenegirl87
#37re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 9:54pm

I love Wicked and am not at all ashamed to admit it. It has great and very catchy music, the story brings a whole new outlook on something very familiar to all of us, and it is just one of those shows that, with the right cast, you get completely drawn into the whole theatre experience. On top of that,when I see it I really care for the characters.

Sometimes it's okay to love something that isn't necessarily the most intelligent thing out there or that doesn't qualify as "good". Ars gratia artis. However, that doesn't mean you have to love it, but please, don't act condescending towards those who do. Nobody likes elitists. In fact, I bet many of the people who love Wicked are just as intelligent, open-minded, and educated as those who love Sweeney. In fact, it is possible that some of us EVEN LOVE BOTH!!!

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

Dancinqueen123 Profile Photo
Dancinqueen123
#38re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 10:13pm

I really like Wicked. It was actually the first broadway show that I saw. Wicked was what actually got me started into liking broadway. I was obsessed with Idina Menzel for a while, but I'm not anymore. I was searching her fansite one day last summer and I saw that they were making a Rent movie. I had sang Seasons of Love in my choir, so I went to go check it out and fell in love with it. (I'm not one of those crazy fangirls like "REnT Iz tHe CoOLEst") So I thank Wicked for getting me here.

<--Sometimes it's easier to get out of a jam than into one

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#39re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 10:22pm

"When will they have Wicked Happy Meals?"

...with limited edition kiddie-sized green milk.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#40re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 10:29pm

Why do people love it? Well, it has that pop sound and The Wizard of Oz is a well loved story. People think it's so dramatic and so well written. Well, it is. It isn't poorly written. There are some odd rhymes and things like that. Some of the songs are prety bad. It's a good night for kids and families. However, if you want a well written drama see "The Light in the Piazza."
I'd rather waste a hundred bucks on that than Wicked.
Updated On: 5/13/06 at 10:29 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#41re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 10:36pm

Totally forgettable show. I forgot it on the way out of the theatre.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#42re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 10:43pm

I agree with those that are tired of people bitching about WICKED...its like a tv show or movie you don't like, if you don't like it, then dont watch it.
For those that asked why people love it....
i think it depends on where you are in life, but i find it very relatable for some. I think its a good story for younger girls to see how there is so much more to life than being "popular" and having the cute bf. It shows that standing up for what you believe in is hard, but worth it. Also, it has a political and social undertone to it...not as much as the book did, but still some. There aren't many plays out there about the growing friendship between two girls. It sells for partly the same reason that certain movies sell....besides, everyone likes something different when it comes to plays. I hated The Producers for example, but im sure some of you that are yelling about WICKED, liked it. Instead of focusing on my hatred for a play, however, I find it more useful to discuss a play I actually enjoy.

SweetQintheLights
#43re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 10:47pm

Personally, I think the question should be- Why do so many people HATE Wicked?

I think it seems that EVERYONE LOVES WICKED because those who do are incessantly talking about it and are obsessed, which tends to lead to look like a bigger 'fan base' than there really is.

However, I don't think people actually HATE Wicked. If there were a few appropriate threads about it, I'm sure all would be ok but the incessant posting and obsessing over it is annoying people. Sometimes there are more Wicked threads than anything else. (I do have to say it has gotten better.)

Many people don't like the posts
"OMG, Wicked is WicKed and lyke im ObSessed WiTH EEYDeena and I stALked Her so she Wood Take a PicTuRe wit me! I no I am her fav Fan. Im gonA maKe DinNer for her and ShE wiLL spEnd The Nite OvA!"

So, I'm pretty sure the majority of people enjoy Wicked but don't enjoy some of the threads/posts that are Wicked related.

Edit: I'm the one that asked why people like it and some of your answers are very appropriate and well stated. I can appreciate that you relate to both the main characters. Thank you for your honesty.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Updated On: 5/13/06 at 10:47 PM

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#44re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 10:51pm

colleen I am the Ellipser.......

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#45re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 10:54pm

I don't hate it........I just get tired of people who have seen nothing else but Wicked thinking it's the best thing ever.
It was ok....but once was definately enough for me.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

SweetQintheLights
#46re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/13/06 at 10:55pm

"I don't hate it........I just get tired of people who have seen nothing else but Wicked thinking it's the best thing ever.
It was ok....but once was definately enough for me."

Wow! That really well summed up what I wrote above.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#47re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/14/06 at 12:53am

"I agree with those that are tired of people bitching about WICKED...its like a tv show or movie you don't like, if you don't like it, then dont watch it."

How do you not watch a show you bought a ticket for? And how do you know you don't like it if you don't watch it?

Looks like those Wicked fans who go on and on about it don't like when the detractors speak up. Freedom of speech!!! re: Why does everyone love WICKED?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#48re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/14/06 at 1:01am

Very well put, greenegirl87!

and about the tv show comment, which perhaps i should have worded better, jane, obviously you watch a show you bought a ticket for...i meant to address (and should have worded it better, i apologize) those that say they hate it, and then buy tickets to it, see it, and then continue to bitch about it. Updated On: 5/14/06 at 01:01 AM

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#49re: Why does everyone love WICKED?
Posted: 5/14/06 at 1:10am

What kind of advertising were they doing for your stop?

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999