pixeltracker

I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore- Page 2

I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#25re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/28/06 at 10:51pm

I've discussed these two plays at length with not only their playwrights but the casts of the shows so a lot of thought was put into both of them.

And seeing as this is only an internet message board, I'll take the risk of being put on someone's "hate list".

ghostlight2
#26re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 2:47pm

"did u pay to see it? I can never understand anyone can leave during intermission if he pay the ticket by himself. If I spend my money on a show, I would stay till the end no matter how much I hate it. I will curse it, warn people don't go the next day, but I will stay till the end of the show."

Like Judas, I don't understand why anyone would walk out of a show. Is your time so important, could a show possibly be so painful that you cannot bear to stay til the end? And what did you do with that "gained" time? Have a drink? Get home a touch earlier?

And if you DIDN'T pay for the ticket? Well, then, I think you are duty-bound to stay til the end. Either someone bought you the ticket, or you were comped, and it's unthinkably rude to walk out under either of those circumstances.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#27re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 4:30pm

I find it very strange that whenever there's talk on Inishmore, a Pillowman vs. Doubt conversation comes up. It actually makes me quite happy.

Anyway, on that note...

Pillowman was definently better than Doubt (both were great though). I hope McDonaugh doesn't get robbed again (granted I haven't seen History Boys). If nothing else, I'd give it to Inishmore to boost tickets sales and keep this wonderful play alive on Broadway.

chasing_rainbows43
#28re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 4:40pm

Especially considering that History Boys is a limited run whereas Inishmore is open-ended. I may be wrong but right now it looks like Inishmore is the only open-run play on Broadway.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#29re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 4:46pm

I for one hope it has a good L-O-N-G run!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

wexy
#30re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 5:05pm

I'm going Wednesday, then I'll put in my 2cents worth.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#31re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 5:09pm

wexy, I think you're going to like it!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#32re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 7:31pm

I am in the minority, I actually liked INISHMORE and HISTORY BOYS equally, wildly different though they may be. Yet at both shows, there was much -- much -- grumbling at intermission. And visible walkouts. Among the complaints: People cannot understand the accents easily, and they grow increasingly impatient when the theater makes them simply sit up and listen; both of these pieces require great concentration. A play like DOUBT, which I also admire, is far more instantly accessible, and its issues set forth very plainly. (Dare I say, it's 90 minutes -- people adore that too -- they can be eating and drinking at 10 p.m.)

But is it a shameful act to leave at intermission? I don't think it is. We pay, we watch, we get up half way through to relieve ourselves, smoke, sip expensive drinks. We can return or not. As an old professor used to say, "the audience is always right." For some, that means getting the hell out before they spend more time.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Suedenymes Profile Photo
Suedenymes
#33re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 7:35pm

i walked out too at intermission too. i disliked the characters and the situation. i found it unfunny and uninteresting.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#34re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 7:53pm

Inishmore is a very funny play. Very well writen etc etc.

History Boys is both funny and deeply touching, not mention extremley moving and provacative.

In my opinion, I don't think McDonaugh will get robbed this year. I don't think that his play was better than Alan Bennet's.

I thought he was robbed as well, last year.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#35re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 8:17pm

It is the only open-ended play on broadway as of now.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 8:52pm

Wee Thomas wants Inishmore to win but realizes History will probably take home the prize

Poster Emeritus

RentBoy86
#37re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 9:36pm

The BWW Video Preview doesn't make me want to see the show at all. Looks rather boring.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#38re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/29/06 at 10:13pm

The video preview is actually pretty weird. But if you have seen the show, you'd love the preview because it reminds you of just a few of the funny scenes in the play.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#39re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore
Posted: 5/30/06 at 12:14am

The Lieutenant of Inishmore was the fourth McDonagh play I've seen and it's the only one I didn't like.

I think I see why people like it, but I found the characters so stupid that their behavior became boring. It started to seem like a very violent sitcom. Which I suspect was McDonagh's intention. But when the characters ceased to interest me because they were all so dumb, and the lines started to seem like gags intended primarily to shock the audience and make them laugh (and usually in a pretty obvious way), it lost me.

I knew going in that people who behave violently toward other people often sentimentalize their animals. I didn't see much other point to the play.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#40re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore *SPOILER*
Posted: 5/30/06 at 12:30am

Inishmore made me think, and even as someone who adores long thought-provocative plays, it was a challenge to sit through. NOT because of how good or not it was, it was just a challegne to listen to the accents and lines. I wasn't wowed though. It was very good, but not a favorite. One has GOT to stay through the ending to at least try and get the point of it. If you don't like it after that, that's fine. It was for a particular crowd, different strokes and all that business.
*spoiler*
But It wasn't about how terrorists sensitize their pets, it's about how, as Davey says, when Wee Thomas is found "All this terror for nothing." It was a bit simple for my liking, but effective. I walked out sort of not knowing how I felt about it, but I guess that happens in a play so absurd (though not fully absurdist).

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#41re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore *SPOILER*
Posted: 5/30/06 at 12:40am

I thought that it was pretty clear by the end of the second scene, if not before, that it was about the pointlessness of all this violence.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#42re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore *SPOILER*
Posted: 5/30/06 at 12:43am

sorry, misunderstanding

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

RentBoy86
#43re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore *SPOILER*
Posted: 5/30/06 at 12:51am

Yeah, it's hard to understand the accents.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#44re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore *SPOILER*
Posted: 5/30/06 at 1:11am

No problem, CurtainUp. My post was not as clear as it could have been. I didn't mean to imply that the only point of the play was that some people who happily kill other people sentimentalize their pets, but I can see why you thought that's what I was saying.

Royi88
#45re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore *SPOILER*
Posted: 5/30/06 at 2:37am

I dunno, with the cost of tickets to shows these days I think I would have just stayed and suffered through... I'd feel kind of guilty walking out of something that cost a good amount of money.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#46re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore *SPOILER*
Posted: 5/30/06 at 8:37am

I LOVED IT. THE HUMOR IS HILARIOUS.
I do have to admit that the blood made me queasy.
I am not into blood and guts and was feeling faint.
But, the humor and the writing won me over.
It was a bit of a horror show though.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#47re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore *SPOILER*
Posted: 5/30/06 at 8:44am

Best post ever, ckeaton...

chasing_rainbows43
#48re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore *SPOILER*
Posted: 5/30/06 at 1:32pm

Updated On: 5/30/06 at 01:32 PM

rflpfl2
#49re: I walked out of Lieutenant of Inishmore *SPOILER*
Posted: 5/30/06 at 1:48pm

It's surprising to hear that people find Inishmore boring of all things, or that it felt long. Boring is the last word I would imagine with a show so over the top and violent. I had a great experience at this show- so funny and so outrageous. This is the kind of comedy you'd expect to find on film rather than the theater. I loved seeing the reaction of a bunch of 15 year old boys on a school trip to NYC who had NO idea what the show was about- and left thinking this was the coolest "thing" ever.

The first act isn't as quick as the second act- but that's mainly that all the action takes place in act II. Still the first act is FUNNY- that red-head kid in the ponytail was HILARIOUS- really funny.

These aren't the kind of characters (for me) that you're supposed to care about or personally identify with- but rather characters you can judge and laugh at- which is what I like a lot.

This show is brilliant- and I encourage anyone who sees it to stay the whole show- because when it all comes together all the slow parts (and for me there weren't really any) are worth it.

I hope it wins the Tony!!!

Videos