pixeltracker

Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney's ONCE UPON A MATTRESS

Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney's ONCE UPON A MATTRESS

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney's ONCE UPON A MATTRESS
Posted: 5/24/06 at 12:59pm

Back in 2003, when plans for the film first sprung, Carole Burnett of course was locked, but I just found out Marissa Jaret Winokur was supposed to have Tracy Ullman's part of "Princess Winifred."

The more you know . . .

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#1re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 1:01pm

I thought this was already publicized.

When Ullman was announced the article's headline dealt with Winokur's backing out.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 1:06pm

Hmm... It's strange how I don't remember this AT ALL. But I just searched for some online articles and did find this info. Whatever.

Personally, I was quite pleased with Ullman.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#3re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 1:34pm

This switch really pissed me off. I haven't seen the earlier Burnett verions, but the Disney one is garbage.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#4re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 2:15pm

This is lke news from 2 years ago...... it just goes to prove that Winokur may have a tony but it is getting her no where. re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'

hmmmmm strange how Bernadette still gets work....

broadwaybaby692 Profile Photo
broadwaybaby692
#5re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 2:18pm

And Winokur should NOT have that Tony, Bernadette Peters' Rose was much more deserving of the award.

UGH!

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#6re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 2:42pm

Woo hoo! This fight is worth having!!!!!!!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#7re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 3:39pm

This was pretty widely publicized, and frankly I'm glad Winokur didn't play the role. Not a fan.

#8re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 3:41pm

Love Marissa, but not in that role.
Tracy Turnblad- Yes
Katrina on Stacked- Yes

Princess Winnie- No.

Jon
#9re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 3:51pm

At one point, there was talk of Donna Lynn Champlin plying Winnifred. Carol Burnett became enamored of her during HOLLYWOOD ARMS, in which she essentially played young Carol Burnett.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#10re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 4:11pm

hmmmmm strange how Bernadette still gets work....

It's called talent.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#11re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 4:38pm

I don't think it would have mattered WHO played the part, - because it was just an awful production from start to finish. If you get the chance, get thee to the Museum of Radio and Television and see the original - the very first one in black and white. It is quite funny and well-staged, acted and sung.
The Disney version was total crapola.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#12re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 5:13pm

Actually, I was looking at Marissa's IMDB page just the other day. She really has been tremendously successful both onstage and in TV/film. She was getting a continuous stream of work even before she won a Tony, and still seems to be doing pretty well.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#13re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 5:48pm

Maybe Donna Lynne could have saved that movie a bitre: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#14re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 5:51pm

Doubt it...it was nothing but terrible.

FoscasBohemianDream
#15re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 6:15pm

While I found Ullman's portrayal un-funny and stale, I thought the failure of the film was mostly the terrible direction and the production values. I doubt Marissa would have made a good Winifred.

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#16re: Marissa Jaret Winokur originally to have Tracy Ullman's part in Disney'
Posted: 5/24/06 at 6:20pm

The Disney Version was pretty horrible. I was was poed that they left out the entire storyline for the Jester. No Very Soft Shoes, No King and the Minstrel and I. Ugh.

Does anyone else think that Disney is racist? Everyone in that movie was white except the Jester, and he never talked... Updated On: 5/24/06 at 06:20 PM

Videos