Kate Rainders???

Playbill9117 Profile Photo
Playbill9117
#0Kate Rainders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:23pm

I'm not going to say that I HATE her (because I don't), and I won't say that she doesn't DESERVE to go to Broadway as Glinda (because she does have some talent), but I will say that I think she was a poor casting choice from the beginnning. She is far too thin (heck, even Chenoweth probably has a good 20 pounds on her), and her voice is very high pitched. All things considered, she just lacks physical presence, and I believe there are MANY other people who would have been better casting choices from the beginning.
(this is my opinion after seeing her in the show twice.)

EDIT: I know I spelled "Reinders" incorrectly in the title, I apologize.
Updated On: 5/31/06 at 02:23 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: Kate Rainders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:25pm

Who cares?

And it's Reinders.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#2re: Kate Rainders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:28pm

Can you point to the character description that discusses weight requirements for this role? Yeah. Didn't think so.

/end snarky

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Playbill9117
#3re: Kate Rainders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:31pm

No, and obviously the casting director has no (or a very low) weight requirement for the role. I'm just saying that I disagree with the choice.

You're probably going to ask who am I to be saying things like this, but let's remember that i'm just a regular person like everyone else, and i'm simply expressing an opinion. Is that not what this board is designed for? Updated On: 5/31/06 at 02:31 PM

broadwayman
#4re: Kate Rainders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:32pm

i agree. while there may not be a weight requirement for the role, Kate Reinders is really very thin, and it looks like she is too thin.

KJP
#5re: Kate Rainders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:32pm

Is Kate going to Broadway as Glinda?

snowie862 Profile Photo
snowie862
#6re: Kate Rainders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:33pm

she's already there

Playbill9117
#7re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:36pm

She replaced Megan Hilty, a perfect example of someone with both physical and vocal presence.
Updated On: 5/31/06 at 02:36 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#8re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:39pm

I saw her last night and thought she was excellent.

JackiesBroJoe Profile Photo
JackiesBroJoe
#9re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:40pm

Playbill9117, when did you see Kate in the role?

Playbill9117
#10re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:41pm

I said she had talent. And she does perform the role nicely. She is just physically and vocally a "less than great" choice for someone as bold and strong as Glinda.

Playbill9117
#11re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:43pm

I saw her in Chicago twice while I was there last month.

It just seems like she's screaming at the top of her lungs in an effort to simply deliver lines effectively.

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#12re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:54pm

Completely disagree with ya playbill. Saw her in July just as Wicked was opening and felt that Reinders embodied who Glinda is; an over-dramatic, over-the-top girl looking for attention in the beginning and then finding who she is and what is important to her by the end of it all. Not once did I feel like she was trying to scream so that people could hear her. I sat 19 rows back right on the aisle in the orchestra and it seemed fine from there...

Her weight has nothing to do with it. She's a small girl. It means nothing about her brilliance as Glinda. I've seen her and Kristen and I personally prefer Reinder's Glinda though I do feel that Cheno was wonderful too.

Cheers,

Christopher

www.christopherviolett.com

Playbill9117
#13re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 2:57pm

well, I certainly prefer Kate over Kristen, but that's another issue.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#14re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 3:08pm

Too small for Glinda? Glinda is the pretty, thin popular girl. She has the perfect look for Glinda.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#15re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 3:08pm

How did you see her last month? I thought she'd been out of the show for quite some time?

Kringas
#16re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 3:11pm

You do know that you can change the title of a thread you created, right?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#17re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 4:46pm

She has been out of the Chicago company for quite sometime. You couldn't have seen her last month.

Playbill9117
#18re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 4:54pm

sorry, I meant last year- My fault. (I know that looks bad, but it was an honest mistake.)

WiiCKED x3
#19re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 8:00pm

My friend just saw Kate. She also saw Megan with me and my aunt 5/27. The day before Meagn left. She thought they had the same amount of talent.

Their both amazing.

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#20re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 8:46pm

I saw Kate in Gypsy and she had wonderful stage presence. I can't wait to see her in Wicked.

Parks
#21re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 9:28pm

Everyone says she's amazing... her Popular from Chicago sseemed a bit out of control, but she's just having fun, I think.

The Broadway cast of Wicked, once again, seems to be in top notch condition. re: Kate Reinders???

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

Playbill9117
#22re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 10:57pm

well, i'm glad she is so well liked. (even if she's not my favorite). And I certainly won't try to make you dislike her performance. re: Kate Reinders???

Nathan_Lane_Rules!
#23re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 5/31/06 at 11:41pm

I think she's great, but then again I loved Kendra, who got some negative reviews.

I wasn't so huge on kendras singing, but she brought so much character to the role.

I think your assuming that everyone else has the same vision of the real Glinda

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#24re: Kate Reinders???
Posted: 6/1/06 at 2:18pm

I miss Kate...I went to Wicked in Chicago last night and shed a tear for the fact that miss Reinders AMAZING Glinda was no longer there....

Lucky bway....re: Kate Reinders???

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Videos