pixeltracker

The "Official" Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread- Page 2

The "Official" Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread

SeptemberKel
#25re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 5:59pm

"Wonder - greatest avatar EVER."

Yeah, it is re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread

"Of course there is the castle - the ruined castle. I find it lovely. Probably because it's ruined, I suppose." - Passion

crzyrocket Profile Photo
crzyrocket
#26re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:19pm

Was anyone else amused to see La LuPone rocking out to Harry Connick, Jr. during the Tony opening? Everyone else was just standing there smiling, and the camera pans over her, and she's snapping her fingers to the song. I loved it!

She is a goddess.

"The sense that everything's going right is a sure sense that everything's going wrong." -The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#27re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:26pm

I loved that she was the only one with any presence of mind to DO anything during that number. Then, a few minutes later, Glen Close started doing the same thing.

Well, that's not the first time THAT's happened, is it?

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

mrslovett7
#28re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:35pm

omg wonder, I love you!!! It's Hannah from the Patti myspace group.

have you taken care of the puppy yet?...

~H* "I slept through the nominations, as I always do. Anything I need to know, I'll find out when I get up at a reasonable hour!" -Michael Cerveris

crzyrocket Profile Photo
crzyrocket
#29re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:38pm

You know what almost made me piss my pants?

Right before one of the commercial breaks, there was a teaser for who would win Best Actress in a Musical. When the ceremony started again, out comes Glenn Close, with Sunset Boulevard playing, and I almost lost it thinking she would be giving out the Tony for Best Actress. I was wrong, but how great would it have been, had Ms. LuPone won, to have her accept the award from Glenn Close?

"The sense that everything's going right is a sure sense that everything's going wrong." -The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?

mrslovett7
#30re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:45pm

When Glenn Close came out my heart stopped! I thought she would be presenting for best actress. pheeeew! could you imagine?

*punch*
*kick*
*scratch*

I also loved when she was snapping a dancing around I was like, "there she is!"

"Well, that's not the first time THAT's happened, is it?"

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

~H* "I slept through the nominations, as I always do. Anything I need to know, I'll find out when I get up at a reasonable hour!" -Michael Cerveris

SeptemberKel
#31re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:48pm

Rocket, I was thinking the same thing! I thought to myself, "Oh no, tell me they didn't call Glenn Close to present Best Actress!" I would have paid to see that one. I would have paid to hear Patti's acceptance speech, too. re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread

I loved seeing her jammin' out to HCJr. Hilarious!!

"Of course there is the castle - the ruined castle. I find it lovely. Probably because it's ruined, I suppose." - Passion

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#32re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:52pm

Oh, I don't think that would have happened. Anyone who knows the history between Miss Patti and the actress known as "cruella de ville" is aware that a face to face meeting between the two would not have been pretty. I could only imagine what Miss Patti was thinking when Glenn Close was introduced to the music to "Sunset." Also, I mentioned in a previous post about how ODD it was that Joanna Gleason was involved in introducting the "Sweeney Todd" company when they did their little perf.... knowing that M. Patti lost her Tony to Joanna Gleason (for Into The Woods). With regards to the Tonys, it was booorrring. They need someone who can make the crowd stay awake. I was shattered that Miss Patti was not honored for "Sweeney", but I've recovered. Her many, many fans would love her to return to Broadway at some point. What would be a good show for her, in a Broadway return? Ideas?? Love her!!
from Roman in Austin, Texas... the official Patti LuPone FANatic

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#33re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:31pm

I was shattered that Miss Patti was not honored for "Sweeney", but I've recovered.

I'm still not ready to talk about it. I have a therapist, and we are working on this together. It is a difficult journey, and we are taking it one day at a time.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

CrimsonFaerie
#34re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:34pm

Oh, I would have paid to see Patti's acceptance speech as well... I was taping the show for that reason alone. ARGH!

Anyone else going to see her in Gypsy? Luckily I didn't have to see my kidneys to go. But I am driving 21 hours to do it. I'm praying that there are no hurricanes in August, since I live in South Florida. That would be hell trying to get out of the state then!

Prisoner 24601 Profile Photo
Prisoner 24601
#35re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:26pm

I'm so seeing Gypsy! August 11th, baby! Anyone know if we'll be able to meet her after the show? Or is security too tight at Ravinia?

-Was that a fart?
-My fault, I fear.

jsrocks
#36re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:33pm

Thank God for Patti b/c she was the only good thing in the opening number! LOL She was dancing away!! re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread

"Michael's got a head like a Ping Pong Ball" -The Cast of Sweeney-

OverTheBoone
#37re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:48pm

"I'm so seeing Gypsy! August 11th, baby! Anyone know if we'll be able to meet her after the show? Or is security too tight at Ravinia?"

I was wondering that myself! I've been there a couple of times, but the one time when I met the performer, he was signing posters in the front--so it was planned and everything. I don't know if we'll be able to meet her, though. I wish we could. I'm was sadly only able to get lawn tickets to the event, but I am still really excited. It's going to be pretty amazing!

SeptemberKel
#38re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:22pm

It's official. I just booked my Ravinia tickets, plane tickets, and hotel reservation. I came close to having to sell my kidney, but didn't have to.

I can't believe I'm going! Thank God I have insane friends who think it's a good idea just as much as I do. Good Lord - Patti as Mama Rose, and I get to see it!

Updated On: 6/13/06 at 09:22 PM

CrimsonFaerie
#39re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:43pm

Which day are you going on? I bought tickets for August 13th. And thank goodness for insane friends...they made my plan complete too. Although we're completely nuts for driving 1300 miles! This is going to be amazing!!!!!

SeptemberKel
#40re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:52pm

I'll be there for Friday the 11th - it was slim pickin's when it comes to decent seating. We're all separated, but we refuse to do the lawn.

CrimsonFaerie
#41re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:03pm

There weren't a lot of great seats left when I bought tickets either. I think we're in Row X on one of the sides. They look decent enough. I've never been to the Chicago area, so I'm really looking forward to this.

mrslovett7
#42re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:20pm

Hey Heather, it's Hannah...wow too many H's

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#43re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:28pm

Ladies and gentlemen, there is indeed a conspiracy going on with the Tony awards. It is now apparent that the network people wanted Glenn Close to present, but knowing that Patti would still want to eat her soul by sucking out her blood, they decided to give the award to LaChanze when the votes were for Patti.

It's the most logical explanaition so far.

I <3 Patti.

Yero
#44re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:37pm

New picture!

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#45re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/14/06 at 6:52am

I love her ever since I've heard her take on Sunset Blvd a couple of years ago and since then have got most of her CDs. Her voice and range are amazing.

Also, I like her witty sense of humor. Shame about the Tonys, I hoped she'd win.

Her new CD, 'The lady with the torch' isn't going out of my CD player these days......

SeptemberKel
#46re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/14/06 at 8:06am

Scary - that sounds like the only plausible theory I've heard thus far. I'm with WW - I'm still attempting to heal her loss re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread

Yero - Isn't that from The Baker's Wife? She looks amazing. I love that picture

musical_devotee - Welcome to the boards! Great avatar!

CrimsonFaerie
#47re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/14/06 at 8:25am

Hi Hannah! :)

Scary - Your theory has me cracking up...LOL I would like to see that! hahaha

Has anyone found any pictures of her in the red dress? Love the color on her!

kgee30
#48re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/14/06 at 8:45am

"I'm so seeing Gypsy! August 11th, baby! Anyone know if we'll be able to meet her after the show? Or is security too tight at Ravinia?"

The "stage door" is more of a gate to the left of the pavillion, and performers can either choose to come out to greet fans or not -- the last couple of years (on the nights I was there, at least), both Michael and Audra did, but Patti did not (hmmm...so maybe she was avoiding me). They can enter the rear parking lot right from the pavillion if they prefer to avoid the brouhaha. Something tells me she'll want a little up close & personal love and appreciation from her fans this year, though.

chrrymn
#49re: The 'Official' Patti LuPone Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/14/06 at 9:10am

First of all, yay a new thread to call my home on bww!!!

Now. You know it NEVER occured to me at the time, but Glen Close saw Sweeney Saturday night!! I was at the stage door and she got out of her car, holding a playbill and disappeared inside for like a half hour. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall...

::Sarah::
"Mrs. Lovett, how I did without you all these years I'll never know!"