pixeltracker

Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN- Page 5

Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN

SporkGoddess
#100re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:00pm

Fosca: Anne Hathaway has a decent soprano voice, but it's not appropriate for Johanna and she also has some problems to work out, particularly with her vibrato.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#101re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:17pm

Johanna in the Logan script is in her mid teens. I can't imagine they would cast a big name in the role. Her singing is also scaled back - GREEN FINCH, for one, is gone.

Of course, Tim Burton may cast somebody bizarre like Christina Ricci so who knows.

I echo whoever said that hopefully Burton will tap into the scary side of the show rather than the whimsical. I don't want to see SWEENEY in the style of SCISSORHANDS or SLEEPY HOLLOW.

matiboi Profile Photo
matiboi
#102re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:29pm

Imelda Staunton would be a FIERCE Lovett, but they'd definitely go with a bigger name in the role. I see Carter as a really awesome Beggar Woman, much more so than Lovett.

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#103re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:31pm

MB, what other songs were cut?

SporkGoddess
#104re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:32pm

Green Finch? NOOOOOOO!

Updated On: 6/13/06 at 07:32 PM

actormcfamous
#105re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:40pm

I second Megan Mullaly for Lovett.

FoscasBohemianDream
#106re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:45pm

Michael Bennett, do you have a link to your review of the Logan script or a link the actual script that you could post?

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#107re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:52pm

What about Donna Murphy...I really think she and Johnny would be more believable than Johnny and Meryl Streep. Plus she does alot of film work.

Megan Mulally would be great though.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

FoscasBohemianDream
#108re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:59pm

I have been hoping Donna Murphy plays Mrs.Lovett for about a decade already, no one would be happier, but no one apart from Broadway audiences have any idea as to who she is.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#109re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:05pm

What about Annette Bening...I could really see her as Mrs Lovett

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

Michael Bennett
#110re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:31pm

I will have to search through the endless BWW threads to see if I can find it. I was able to read the script through my work, and I don't believe it's actually been "leaked" yet.

To the best of my memory, the songs that had been cut were - WAIT, GREEN FINCH, AH MISS, PARLOR SONGS, and parts of the PROLOGUE and EPHIPHANY. Things like LADIES IN THEIR SENSABILITIES, NO PLACE LIKE LONDON, THE CONTEST, WIG MAKER SEQUENCE and transitional chorus stuff were gone or turned into dialogue. The ending sequence was a bit different too.

Surprisingly, The Judge's JOHANNA was in the script.

Overall it was very stylized and would have been fascinating visually (the deaths were handled in a stunning cinematic way).

John Logan's script is still being credited in those press releases as of today, but my guess is that a director like Burton would definitely tweak it to fit his own unique vision. He's a very different artisan than Sam Mendes.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#111re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:53pm

That's really interesting....thank you.

Although I will miss Green Finch, I think that the song cuts will keep the moving moving along.

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#112re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:29pm

Megan Mullally as Lovett and Bernadette Peters as the Beggar Woman. Anybody? Annnnybody?

CrimsonFaerie
#113re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:47pm

Ooo...I like the idea of Megan Mullally as Mrs. Lovett. And Bernadette Peters would be awesome as the beggar woman.

At any rate, this should be interesting to say the least. I'm sure it will be very different from the stage version, but I can't wait to see what comes of it.

opiv Profile Photo
opiv
#114re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:51pm

Yeah, I could see Megan Mullally as Mrs. Lovett.

"I feel god in this chili's..."

SporkGoddess
#115re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:07pm

Thank you! I've been saying that all along!

And, parts of Epiphany? NO FRIGGIN' WAY! They can't leave out any part of the most climactic song in the show!

FoscasBohemianDream
#116re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:12pm

Frankly, I'd be quite more worried if they cut "A Little Priest" which they might do. I feel that to make it work as a film cutting songs is inevitable, Sondheim has described it as an operetta, it's very theatrical. We're fortunate enough to have two recorded stage versions with great leads released on DVD and VHS, now we should let this film be a film instead of a re-creation of the stage version which we already have.

Michael Bennett
#117re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:16pm

LITTLE PRIEST was in the script, but was trimmed

dancnqn5 Profile Photo
dancnqn5
#118re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:23pm

Although I'm not a huge fan of Green Finch (personal issues...), I think it captures Johanna to a T. Without it, she's even less of a three-dimensional character. I'm still not sure who they could get to play her. There aren't that many well known actors who just happen to be legit sopranos who can pull off playing 16. Even if they cut Green Finch, Kiss Me is still in, correct? And that song actually contains the highest solo notes for Johanna.

And don't even get me started on trimming Epiphany...

I have the lowest of hopes for this film and it hasn't even been cast yet.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#119re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:25pm

I'm convinced that the old script will be all but thrown out by Burton and that there will be a completely new adaptation. I hope they resist the urge to cut out too much...

SporkGoddess
#120re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:30pm

I'm only a few years older than 16, look like I'm 14, and could totally hit those notes. Psst, Tim Burton.

Kidding. There are actually a lot of 16-year-olds who could. I'm pretty upset about it being cut. And I would argue to the death that "Epiphany" is far more crucial to the show than "A Little Priest." "A Little Priest" wouldn't be very lost as dialogue, in fact.

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#121re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:38pm

I have a feeling that Johnny will murder "Epiphany".

SporkGoddess
#122re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:49pm

Mandi Moo: That is a good point; we have been overlooking the possibility of Johnny Depp singing this stuff. Erk.

To anyone who's read the script: are they keeping the ballads? I'm praaaaying that they are.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#123re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:53pm

Mrs. Lovett - Megan Mullally
Sweeney Todd - Johnny Depp(since it seems likely)
Johanna - an unknown(due to age)
Toby - an unknown(due to age)
Anthony - Ewan McGregor
Beggar Woman - Carter
Pirelli - Alan Cummings
Judge - Kelsey Grammer
Beadle - John Goodman
Fogg - anybody

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#124re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:57pm

FYI:

I know someone who works in the movie industry, and the Sweeney Todd movie, starring Johnny Depp, directed by Tim Burton, is a go. It hasn't been "green lit" yet, but it's almost definitely happening. It's from a reliable source. Just throught I'd throw that in.