Basic Plot of "Assassins"

tz0o
#0Basic Plot of "Assassins"
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:34pm

Hey,

I've been mildly curious about "Assassins" for some time now, after reading some monologues and hearing some music from it, but I'm still confused as to what the basic plot of the musical is. I already looked on the International Broadway Database, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Please help.

You insult me, I ignore you. That's how the system works around here.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#1re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:38pm

That's because there really is no plot - it's a series of scenes and songs about the various assassins or "hopeful" assassins through American history going back to Booth.

The recent revival really played up the carnival aspect of the theme, but there isn't much of a plot to speak of in any production I've seen.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

#2re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:41pm

Basically it's a review of the assasins and attempted assasins of the US president. There is a lengthy portion at the end that moves into fantasy, where the assassins come together to urge Lee Oswald to shoot Kennedy.

The rest of the numbers are more straight forward and fairly historically accurate. Great score, not really a satifying evening in the theatre, if you ask me.

Yankeefan007
#3re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:45pm

The score is absolutely haunting, some of Sondheim's best if you ask me. The show isn't really great.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#4re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:45pm

Not just presidents though - they mention MLK's killer, as well as Robert Kennedy's - though the characters all shot/attempted to shoot a president.

Funny that all assassination attempts (well, except Sam Byck, I guess) have been by gun...

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

tz0o
#5re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:13pm

That's all? That's odd. . . I really thought Booth would have a bigger role (That's the Lincoln buff in me talkin'.). I guess you can't have every thing. So I wouldn't enjoy it, but the soundtrack is worth a buy, huh. Thanks, I'll try checking out.

You insult me, I ignore you. That's how the system works around here.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#6re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:19pm

Trust me Booth has a very lagre role, it is a haunting piece of theater

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

Millie42 Profile Photo
Millie42
#7re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:21pm

Well, it's more than that. And Booth does have the biggest role of the assassins.

The assassins interact with each other in a limbo state (obviously, as they are from different time periods). Breaking up their conversations is each individual assassin's story in which you learn of their motives and how the attempt went down.
There is a Balladeer that sort of cheerfully narrates the tales. Booth has his own segment and then sort of acts as a constant presence pushing the others to carry through with their attempts.

I definitely suggest buying the cast recording and see it if you ever get the chance!

It's brilliant and very thought-provoking...albeit, hard to explain.

"My friends have made the story of my life." -Helen Keller

rocky2428 Profile Photo
rocky2428
#8re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:18pm

"Booth has his own segment and then sort of acts as a constant presence pushing the others to carry through with their attempts. "

Having played Booth, I have to disagree with that. Booth does have the biggest role of all the Assassins, but he's hardly a presence in the show after "The Gun Song". He returns towards the end and, as far as the script goes, is directly responsible for convincing Oswald to shoot JFK, but there is at least a half hour that Booth is completely not a part of.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#9re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:20pm

It's one of my favorite Sondheim shows.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#10re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:24pm

I saw a mediocre high school production of it and STILL really enjoyed it, if that says anything. And I do remember Booth and the Balladeer having much bigger parts than the rest.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#11re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:27pm

Soundtrack?????????

Ahhhhh!!!!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#12re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:59pm

I've done the show twice now (the second time being, well, right now), and I have to say that it's a pretty solidly written piece of work. Granted, the score is much better than the book (which, I have to admit, aside from having some funny moments, is rather inconsequential), but it's a fun show, and very satisfying if you ask me. Makes ya think.

The Distinctive Baritone
#13re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:00pm

P.S.--The score is, IMO, one of Sondheim's very best. Which of course, puts it in the top 5% of all musical theater.

professor Profile Photo
professor
#14re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:12pm

The best way to learn the plot of any play is to READ IT. The script for Assassins has been published (TCG, 1991). You can find it in any good library. Or if you don't mind shelling out $5, you can buy a used copy at Amazon.com

"Inside every actor there is a Tiger, a Pig, an Ass, and a Nightingale. You never know which one is going to show up." -John Michael Higgins in FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

The Distinctive Baritone
#15re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:26pm

Well, that was a bit obnoxious.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#16re: Basic Plot of 'Assassins'
Posted: 6/14/06 at 10:30am

lol- I love this show so freaking much. Every song is perfection and the feelings it conjures are so strange and amazing. You really should pick up a script. It's one of Sondheim and Weidman's best scripts.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck