Who Else Has This Problem....

Cruel_Sandwich
#0Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:20am

...not being able to audition worth s**t!

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#1re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:21am

I hate nerves.

#2re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:22am

See, I can. Singing- I can.
Reading- I'm alittle shaky.

Cruel_Sandwich
#3re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:29am

I think my problem is that I'm not that aggressive in pursuing parts (Or anything, really...) because I always have that "someone else is more qualified than me"-type feeling. I know I shouldn't but it's always there.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#4re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:38am

Oh yes, my vibrato becomes akin to Edith Piaf's and my throat closes up. I'm much better coping with acting auditions than singing auditions.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

SweetQintheLights
#5re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:41am

Self-fulfilling prophecy

If you tell yourself that someone is better than you and that they are going to get the part, then you are more than likely correct.

Nerves are good- to a certain extent. Put the nervous energy into your character and audition with it, not from from it.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Updated On: 6/22/06 at 12:41 AM

theatregrl0456
#6re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 1:11am

hmm i think everyone has trouble auditioning.

ChrisLK
#7re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 1:23am

I can't sing at auditions at all. I also have the "someone else is better" complex, especially when it comes to singing. I'm a decent musician, but my whole concept of pitch (and staying on-key) generally goes out of the window at auditions, which is gigantic problem if I'm ever going to be a professional actor. I'm a lot better when it comes to acting, although I'm usually nervous at the beginning of a monolouge or scene, and I relax as I get into the character.

"I could use a little... Miracle." ~SWIWS

timote316
#8re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 1:32am

I think I audition well... perhaps too well. I was cast as Cladwell in my college's production of Urinetown... and I don't think I'm anywhere near ready for that. But, we shall see...

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#9re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 1:37am

Don't you hate that? When you audition too well, and you are suddenly cast in a role you dont have the voice for or something. That's happened to me more than once. I'd rather not have the part than be completely horrible in the role.

justagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
#10re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 1:46am

Amen. Of course, I'm completely unpredictable, and can go from having the worst audition ever one month to a great one the next...which is, of course, a pain in the ass.

Or, how about when the tables are turned? When I was auditioning for Grease, I had already tried out and read for the part I wanted, but I was still hanging around waiting for my friend to finish auditioning. She was in one of the last groups, and they called me in to read for Patty, last minute, because they had run out of girls to do it and I happened to be there. I ended up doing too well, and getting stuck with the crappy part. Auditions just suck!
Updated On: 5/9/09 at 01:46 AM

timote316
#11re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 1:47am

Its not that I don't have the voice for it (I can sing it well in my room!), its just that its my first lead, and I've never really had a singing role in a musical (I played Sam in Copacabana, but his big song is more talking). It shall be interesting to see how much my nerves will take over...

thevolleyballer
#12re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 2:12am

I just don't know about auditions. I've been to about three in my life (one for a comedy troupe, which I made then turned down; one for a voiceover, which I got; and the last one, I guess, was my two videos for Hairspray, which I clearly didn't get, for I'm not cast... heheh.). I would love to go on auditions for the stage, aside from merely my regional theatre group, but I just don't know about them.

Gah. Ignorance is bliss for everyone but an actor.
Updated On: 6/22/06 at 02:12 AM

eatlasagna
#13re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 5:17am

eh.. when i used to audition and sing... nerves were a minor problem with me... and i don't have that complex of someone better than me... i have a little faith in myself... BUT... i can't dance worth sh** AND i feel i'm too ugly to even be cast in anything... oh well

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#14re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 10:40am

Singing is my biggest problem at auditions, acting and dancing I'm fine at. My pitch goes kaplooey when I'm auditioning.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#15re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 10:43am

earghhh- my ability to sing in key also oftentimes flies far away. It takes me about 4 bars to get back on key. But, acting auditions are always fine for me.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

bwaymizfit
#16re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 11:59am

Singing is my problem, too. For me it's not a pitch problem...but when I get nervous, I just have a much harder time with placement. Ugh. Afterwards, I frequently wonder if I actually take voice lessons, because it definitely doesn't seem like that to me.

breebranker Profile Photo
breebranker
#17re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:25pm

Gotta love being a dancer who sings -

It just seems a bit more fair, being able to watch everyone else audition in their strong suit. Usually you can tell why certain people get called back to sing- and from there, if you're a halfway decent singer, you're usually okay.

But I do agree, I've had a fantastic audition for something I could care less about in the morning, and then suck in something I really wanted in the afternoon! What's that about, audition gods?

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#18re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/25/06 at 3:15am

My main problem auditioning is that I'm a forty-three year old and, when I go to an audition, I am usually the oldest, fattest man in the room and start to psych out over that.

And I'm not Equity, so, if I audition for one of the better companies in the city, I am at the bottom of the list and often don't even get a chance to audition.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

Cruel_Sandwich
#19re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/30/06 at 2:51am

man......i really need to work on this not being able to audition ****.....

RentBoy86
#20re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 6/30/06 at 3:53am

See, I can usually sing great in an audition. The voice will sound great, but the visual...uh...not so great. I'm usually stiff and forget to "act" the song rather than just stand there and sing. Also, i'm so bad at cold readings. I don't take chances which is what you need to do. Instead, I'm more reserved and I always play the part wrong from the way I would normally play it. It sucks.

AKDPerformer Profile Photo
AKDPerformer
#21re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 10/21/07 at 12:34am

"Amen. Of course, I'm completely unpredictable, and can go from having the worst audition ever one month to a great one the next...which is, of course, a pain in the ass."

justagirl2- I have the same exact problem. You took the words right out of my mouth :)

"We need people not to come to Broadway shows wearing shorts and flip-flops. We are working hard up here folks. Find a pair of socks."-Joanna Gleason "I hear L. Ron Hubbard is gonna blow the ladies...and all that jazz! C'mon babe! We're gonna unicorn hug, I bought some NyQuil down....at Wal-Mart?!"-Bebe Neuwirth singing ATJ to Musical Mad Libs at DQYNJ :)

gertiecummings Profile Photo
gertiecummings
#22re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 10/21/07 at 12:49am

If you want some great books about auditioning, read Audition by Michael Shurtleff and Auditioning for the Musical Theatre by Fred Silver. They are amazing!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#23re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 10/21/07 at 3:02am

Oh dear god! Cruel found the main board.

Didn't you just get cast as Anthony in Sweeney Todd Cruel? I'd say you must have auditioned pretty well.

....but the world goes 'round

SweetQintheLights
#24re: Who Else Has This Problem....
Posted: 10/21/07 at 3:36am

taz, in Cruel's defense, this thread was started in June 2006.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Videos