pixeltracker

Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.

Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#0Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 6:06am

According to The Baltimore Sun

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/bal-to.hairspray30jun30,0,3037794.story?track=rss

Georgia native, Elijah Kelley has been given the role of Seaweed in New Line's Hairspray.

Elijah was recently seen in the Antonio Banderas film, 'Take the Lead.'

more information and picture at the blog: http://hairspray-movie-musical.blogspot.com/

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#1re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 11:31am

bump

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

jimnysf
#2re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 11:43am

I'm starting to worry about this film. The choice of director is the scariest of all. Adam Shankman (Bringing Down the House, Cheaper By The Dozen 2, The Pacifier, and The Wedding Planner.

Let's hope he doesn't ruin it.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#3re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 11:56am

the only good movie Queen Latifah has ever done was Chicago. i knew it was all gonna go downhill once they mentioned she was gonna be cast.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#4re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 11:59am

I like two out of those four movies.

I am not going to defend Shankman but I will say - he has never done a musical before (I dont know about the Stage.) The man is a choreographer so at least he understands movement. Also, he is working with Shaiman and Wittman as collaborators/executive producers -so he is not the only one manning the ship.

I dont think Shankman gets every good material to begin with. But I thought what he did with the Pacifier was great.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"

colleen_lee
#5re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 12:01pm

Well, the good news with Hairspray is it's already fairly campy. So, in that respect, it'll be a little more difficult to screw up than a lot of the other recent stage-screen attempts.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

jimnysf
#6re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 12:04pm

"But I thought what he did with the Pacifier was great."

I HATED every single one of his films, especially "The Pacifier".

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#7re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:31pm

The past couple of movie-musicals haven't had the best director they could have. Let's hope Shankman breaks that.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#8re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:34pm

I am worried about this movie too - but not for the newcomers, like it's Seaweed, Penny, Amber, or Tracy - but for Travolta and the director.

There is no doubt that Queen Latifah - while her movies always seem to detract from her talent - is a fantastic, fantastic actress who finally received some recognition for her wonderful performance in CHICAGO.

Billy Crystal could not be more perfect for Wilbur.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#9re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:41pm

The good thing is that Travolta, Efron, and Shankman have time to figure out what's needed to make this a good film. Shankman knows Shaiman, and I don't think Marc would trust him with his piece unless he thought he could pull it off.

thevolleyballer
#10re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 2:48pm

Well, now. This is interesting. I mean, it isn't completely upsetting, as unknowns are the best talent (IMO), but I'm just disappointed with the whole casting. I think everyone is fine except Zac and Amanda, but I'm not going to rant anymore. Let the movie roll!

Ghosthost999
#11re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 3:39pm

I'm pleased with about 90% of it. The only thing im not exactly thilled about is Efron but i'm open to the possibility of proving me wrong. I think Shankman will do fine, he's a choreographer so he has musical theater backround and he does have an understanding of the medium of film, so it wont be like that cinematic abortion The Producers.

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#12re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 5:57pm

"the only good movie Queen Latifah has ever done was Chicago. i knew it was all gonna go downhill once they mentioned she was gonna be cast."

Yea, ok.

-Set It Off (Independent Spirit Nomination, her best performance to date)
-Living Out Loud

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

jimnysf
#13re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 6:34pm

Check out Queen Latifah's Jazz CD, The Dana Owens Album. It's great!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002XL1XU/002-5960052-2064045?v=glance&n=5174

http://articleonline.net/blog/archives/000517.shtml

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#14re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 8:31pm

i must say- effron is still the ONLY bit of casting that i am in doubt of (if that is what "edgy" looks like i must look like a murderer) latifah will do perfectly well as will bynes and travolta. And as its been pointed out you can't ask for better than billy crystal as wilbur.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

timote316
#15re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 11:15pm

I'm not even that iffy on Effron. Sure, the casting call called for edgy, and he's not - but I don't see Link as edgy anyway. I see him as a sugary teen heart-throb.... which Zac Effron is.

And he only has to sing the score once, and its not live. If his normal singing voice isn't up to par, it can be made into whatever via computer, and sound excellent in the end. They did it in Rent with Rosario, and her vocals were most definately a highlight. He'll be fine.

I really don't get why people are up in arms with the casting for this movie. The only casting that is odd is Travolta as Edna, which is just different. Not bad, just different than Harvey.

rocker05
#16re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 6/30/06 at 11:31pm

I had high hopes for this movie, but they vanished right after I heard Zac Efron was cast. It's a shame.

Theatre_Queen_101 Profile Photo
Theatre_Queen_101
#17re: Hairspray Movie's Seaweed is Announced.
Posted: 7/1/06 at 1:09am

I'm just hearing about Zac Effron being cast right now, PLEASE TELL ME ITS ALL A LIE! If he destroys my favorite musical of all time I will die! Doesn't he have a voice double for HSM? Will he have the same voice double? will the lip synching be as bad? I just cant imagine if there are a gazillion actors willing to give their left arm to play Link in the new movie, how none of them can be "as good" as Effron, and that he is the best there is. Im so shocked.

~Now I'm standing centre stage, I'm at home at last!~

Videos