pixeltracker

Question about some scenes in DRS

Question about some scenes in DRS

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#0Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 8:32pm

Well, I saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels today for my second time and it was just great. The cast is so talented. Anyway, because I had only seen it once before there were a few things that I don't remember, so I wanted to ask about them. The first time I saw it was last July, anyway, I really remember a scene where Norbert Leo Butz is in a box seat watching a scene going on, but that did not happen today. Am I just crazy and imagine it the first time? Second, at the end, when Lawrence says I am going to go back home, and freddy says where, and Lawrence said Detroit, Norbert started laughing a lot, so I was wondering, is it normally a different line? Thanks in advance.

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

gavrochegirl
#1re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 8:34pm

They took the box scene out, unfortunately.

It's a normal line.

What the puck?!

Born2cthelightsofbway
#2re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 8:35pm

Thanks. Why did they take the box scene out? It was just strange because for some reason Norbert Leo Butz really cracked up at that line.

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#3re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 8:36pm

Norbert was...acting...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

Born2cthelightsofbway
#4re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 8:38pm

No, I know that, but he really was cracking up and it took him a while to get back to the scene.

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#5re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 8:40pm

Yup...that would be...more acting...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

Born2cthelightsofbway
#6re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 8:42pm

Ok, obviously you are just looking for a fight, but he went off character for a minute and kept looking to the far right, and then said, "um, ok, sorry 'bout that."

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#7re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 8:49pm

Maybe he was just really in the moment and it struck him as funny.

Yea, I believe he watches Jolene's big number from the box. They took it out when they made the lottery up there I think.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Born2cthelightsofbway
#8re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 8:51pm

Yeah, it was really funny but strange, cause he couldn't stop laughing, it was like he had the giggles. And its too bad they too the box scene out. re: Question about some scenes in DRS

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#9re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 8:54pm

They didn't take out the box scene for the lottery - it was taken out long after they changed lotto seats. The took it out when Jonathan Pryce entered the show, made a few other changes as well.

movieinmymind Profile Photo
movieinmymind
#10re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 8:54pm

i think that no matter what, every night norbert and jonathan, and even lithgow when he was in the show, find something extremely funny. it's nice, because it shows that after spending so much time playing the same part, these actors are still able to find it funny and fresh.

:)

My name is Jamie. NYU class of 2011!!!

#11re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 10:25pm

Or they're trying to make it seem that way.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#12re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/1/06 at 11:44pm

I was also at the DRS matinee (the show was great, by the way), and it definitely seemed like Norbert broke character after the "Detroit" line. My impression was that he was laughing at something other than the line itself -- maybe Jonathan Pryce or someone offstage did something to make him laugh. Jonathan Pryce seemed to come close to breaking character in two different places -- once fairly early that I can't remember specifically, in which he looked like he was about to start laughing and said, "Well,..." or something like that to recover, and then a second time during the beef jerky episode -- at the end of the scene first Norbert looked like he was grinning up at Jonathan and then Jonathan looked like he was going to start laughing right before the lights came down. Both of them also looked like they might lose it during a part of the Shuffhausen-whip-wheelchair scene, in which I don't think either the character of Freddy or Lawrence would be laughing. It was all pretty minor and low-key, and the show is constantly breaking the fourth wall anyway, so I thought it was all in good fun rather than being disruptive. (I saw the return run of Nathan and Matthew in The Producers, and it almost seemed like they were having a contest to see who could make the other person laugh the most -- Nathan definitely lost, by the way -- Nathan and Matthew went a lot farther than the minor stuff going on this afternoon.)

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#13re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/2/06 at 12:43am

i love the Shuffhausen bit. They are always ready to crack up. also with Ruprecht. Norbert is pretty bad at keeping it together. Jonathan is ok, but he does crack up a lot too. but the two women in those scenes that I mentioned before don;t even crack a smile. they are so good at keeping a straight face. really cool.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

iwearshoes Profile Photo
iwearshoes
#14re: Question about some scenes in DRS
Posted: 7/2/06 at 4:40am

I know that this thread is in the process of dying...but i was wondering if that meant that the box scene would not be in the tour? That was one of the funniest bits!