RIP Barnard Hughes

pab Profile Photo
pab
#0RIP Barnard Hughes
Posted: 7/11/06 at 6:56pm

"NEW YORK - Barnard Hughes, who won a Tony for his portrayal of the curmudgeonly title character in Hugh Leonard's "Da," has died after a brief illness. He was 90."
Theater and TV actor Barnard Hughes dies

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#1re: RIP Barnard Hughes
Posted: 7/11/06 at 6:59pm

That's very sad--but bravo to a long, wonderful life!

His son Doug, btw, is the director Doug Hughes of Doubt fame.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#2re: RIP Barnard Hughes
Posted: 7/11/06 at 7:59pm

Wonderful actor. Sorry to hear this.

In addition to Doug, his wife (Helen Stenborg) was a superb actress (I think she may be retired now) and his daughter, Laura, was also a fine actress. (I'm not sure if Laura's still in the business.(

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#3re: RIP Barnard Hughes
Posted: 7/11/06 at 8:13pm

I had the pleasure of attending the opening night party for "The Crucible" a few years ago. Helen Stenborg was in the play and while all the A-list stars were gathered in the main room, Ms. Stenborg and Mr. Hughes sat together off in a side room of the restaurant. I took advantage of the situation by offering my congratulations to Ms. S. for her wonderful performance in the play. She introduced me to Mr. H. and they invited me to sit down and chat for a while. I'd trade an arm for a tape of that night!

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#4re: RIP Barnard Hughes
Posted: 7/11/06 at 8:26pm

We'll always love you B. You will be missed! re: RIP Barnard Hughes

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#5re: RIP Barnard Hughes
Posted: 7/11/06 at 8:36pm

I just last night watched my old faded, taped-off-Showtime recording of FIFTH OF JULY with Ms. Stenborg's lovely Aunt Sally. (Why isn't that available to us? Along with the PBS BLUE WINDOW, another fading tape? A shame.)

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#6re: RIP Barnard Hughes
Posted: 7/11/06 at 9:13pm

I was fortunate enough to get to see him in Waiting In The Wings several years ago. Ignorant me, I only knew him as Blossom's grandfather back then.

RIP.

Sluggy Profile Photo
Sluggy
#7re: RIP Barnard Hughes
Posted: 7/11/06 at 9:31pm

Does anyone else remember the short-lived sitcom "The Cavanaughs" that he did with Christine Ebersole? I don't remember much about it, but I do remember loving it as a kid.

"Which way do you want these pleats turned?" "Toward Mecca."

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#8re: RIP Barnard Hughes
Posted: 7/11/06 at 11:14pm

My Love to Helen, Doug and Laura.
It was a long , wonderful, talented Life He led!

HamletWasBipolar Profile Photo
HamletWasBipolar
#9re: RIP Barnard Hughes
Posted: 7/12/06 at 12:18am

" The one about Santa Clara I never could stand, was all the damn vampires." Barnard Hughes....The Lost Boys

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." -- Goethe (he wants you to go to my Myspace page www.myspace.com/jasonklemm

Videos