Sunset Boulevard...

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#25re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/14/06 at 2:42pm

re: Sunset Boulevard...

I saw Miss Pet(ula) three times in Texas. In my opinion, her Norma Desmond was too comedic for my tastes. Her interpretation reminded me a little bit of the Carol Burnett parody of Norma Desmond.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#26re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/14/06 at 2:48pm

Did any of you see Diahann Carroll in the role in Canada? I would love to know your thoughts and comparisons to other Normas.

Akiva
Updated On: 7/14/06 at 02:48 PM

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#27re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/14/06 at 3:03pm

I agree with Flahooley.
Lupone's Desmond wasn't effective for me. I thought it was a little flat (acting). Her vocals were fine but a little too Evita for me.

Glen Close's Desmond was a little over the top for me, good description of her being a caricature. I heard someone described her Desmond as a "gargoyle." But, it worked for me. Stage acting needs to be projected. May not work for film. Her singing? Did she sing? I thought she just spoke the lines. :)

Now, Buckley was amazing. She was so good Weber even released a recording. Glad I bought it. I wonder why Buckley wasn't mentioned as a choice for the role in the movie version.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#28re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/14/06 at 3:20pm

Patti Lupone Fanatic - OMG!!! That is a great pic! I love it!
I'm at work sitting at my desk crying.
:)

Chris T
#29re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/14/06 at 3:24pm

On the subject of Petula's Norma being childlike, I think that she was directed to play the role that way. Trevor Nunn has said a few times, that when he cast Pet he wanted her to bring those qualities to the role.

Gothampc
#30re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/14/06 at 5:00pm

"She was so good Weber even released a recording."

They released several different recordings. Petula released a short cd with a couple of songs and the German production was also recorded with Helen Schneider. (The score is really macbre in German).

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

#31re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/14/06 at 7:09pm

I saw LuPone and Close. I prefered Close. LuPone sang it better but she played the role too young and seductive for my taste. Yes Close voice was screechy and a bit much, but for me, her annoying speaking voice only added to the realism of why Norma's career died after silent movies faded.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#32re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:55pm

Hello. I've got several of the Sunset recordings: The World Premiere recording, the APR (my least favorite for obvious reasons), the 1st American Tour recording with Linda Balgord, the 2nd American Tour recording with Miss Pet(ula) Clark, the Canadian cast recording with Miss Diahann Carroll, the German cast recording with Helen Schneider and the British Tour recording with Faith Brown (eh). I think Helen Schneider is a fantastic Norma Desmond. She comes across as a Norma coming apart at the seams. Here are a couple of pics of Helen Schneider in "Sunset." From Roman in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#33re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 12:46am

I saw Sunset 10 times

2 - with Close
2 - with Karen Mason (understudy)
2 - Betty Buckley
2 - with Elaine Paige (including closing night)
2 - with Petula Clark (on Tour)

I think that Close was a phenomenal, phenomenal presence - great acting - okay singing.

Seeing Karen Mason (who has an incredible voice) when she went on for close I realized what a woman with that kind of voice could do for the role - I mean the whole score just seemed so much more beautiful. Loved it in a whole new way

Betty Buckley probably was my favorite - her acting and interpretation brought a depth of sadness, tragedy to the role (wheras Close just scared the S@# - T out of me!) and her voice was mesmerizing.

By far, Elaine Paige was the worst. Yes she has a great voice, but her comedic (almost cartoonish) take on SB ruined the show for me.

Petula Clark pleasantly surprised me, as did the entire tour production, which in some ways seemed more effective to me than the Broadway production. Also gives credence to one of the posters comments that the BWAY production was way too overdone - as much as I loved it, they killed themselves.

As for Patti - sorry to her fans, I'm really tired of her bitching - "poor me, poor me..." She bitched after Evita about being mis-treated, she's been known to have complained about Les Miz and not coming to NY with it - and then Sunset... Not saying ALW is the best business man/casting agent, but give it a rest lady - you got a great voice - lose the attitude and you might actually endear yourself to some of us common people who enjoy good singers/entertainment and don't worship you as some idol...

COOOOLkid
#34re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 1:22am

I'd get pissed if I was contracted to open the show on Broadway, yet being told that the plans changed...

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#35re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 1:29am

I'd get pissed if I was contracted to open the show on Broadway, yet being told that the plans changed...

Yeah, just ask this girl.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

C is for Company
#36re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 1:37am

I love Sunset Boulevard, the film and wonder which recording I should expose myself to first. I usually lean towards the OBC, but since I love 'With One Look' so much, I downloaded Betty, Elaine, Patti, and Glenn to try and get a feel for their Normas. I respect Gloria Swanson so much that I want to find a mix of a faithful portrayl to the character and enjoyable singing to listen to. Thank you to all my fans who have never forgiven me for deserting the boards.

Updated On: 7/15/06 at 01:37 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#37re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 9:51am

Uh....oh--kaaay. Chernjam, you're name looks familiar. Anyway, Patti LuPone has had good reasons for her comments on her various shows. Evita: Prior to the Broadway run, there were some rumblings about replacing her. Les Miz: The only thing that I've heard about is her not wanting to reprise her role on Broadway because... " it was the perfect theatrical experience." Sunset: You can write a whole book about that. Around the time that Miss Patti was headed to London to start the World Premiere of Sunset, ALW publicizes the fact that the Actress Known as Cruella is to start in L.A. So, it is understandable that, from experience, Patti LuPone has had reasons to have both positive and negative views of her shows. from Roman in Austin, Texas... the official Patti LuPone FANatic

pattifan2
#38re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 12:02pm

I thought the best three Normas were LuPone, LuPone and LuPone.

...fragment of the day...

Patti LuPone FANatic
#39re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 1:41pm

I like you pattifan. Anyway, I've been perusing thru You Tube. They're got some interesting clips of various Norma Desmonds performing.. including: Betty, Petula and Glennnis in the Final Scene. Also, there's a documentary about the making of the Australian "Sunset" with Hughie and Debra Byrne. He looks sooo young! Finally, I saw this Dutch(?) performer by the name of Simone Kleinsma singing "As If We Never Said Goodbye" in English at a Dutch musical gala. Her singing was exceptional, except for the deviation here and there with the lyrics. that's all for now.... Roman in Austin, Texas.. the official Patti LuPone FANatic

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#40re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 3:03pm

>> Around the time that Miss Patti was headed to London to start the World Premiere of Sunset, ALW publicizes the fact that the Actress Known as Cruella is to start in L.A. So, it is understandable that, from experience, Patti LuPone has had reasons to have both positive and negative views of her shows. from Roman in Austin, Texas... the official Patti LuPone FANatic

Well, it depends on who's version of the story you believe. Like I said, I know that ALW is not the easiest person to deal with (I doubt any composer is) - but supposedly they wanted Patti to open London, LA (for the American Premiere) and then Broadway and she didn't feel like re-creating the role three different times in three different places. When Close was cast in LA, I admit it opened a very unfair competition where there would be a "Close" camp and "LuPone" camp - but I think LuPone has to blame herself a bit for passing on the opportunity to open in LA (if that is in fact the case)

And besides, if she was actually somewhat positive about SB instead of going on and on about what a Jerk ALW was, how she's glad it happened because she got a pool out of it (when in fact she sounds bitter and angry about it) she comes across badly to me. I for one would have loved to have seen her come into the NY Production and given her performance and seen how the critics and public reacted to her. Would that have been difficult considering how she was treated, sure. Would she have made globs of money (as all of these people did) - wouldn't doubt it...

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#41re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 3:10pm

I like Patti . . . but I do agree she comes across VERY stuck up in almost all of her interviews (case in point, the interview for the up coming sequel to THE GOLDEN AGE). I have never seen the show, but recording wise I would have to go with Glenn Close, but Patti was good too.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

C is for Company
#42re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 3:12pm

I would usually think that when you play a character of such proportions, the talent to play it must come from somewhere. Just so happens it seems to come naturally.

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#43re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 3:40pm

OH yeah, I saw Petula Clark too.

Saw her in Original London Production.. and then in the US tour.

She was a HOOT!! The goofiest Norma D. you can imagine. I chuckled everytime I saw her shaking that gun around..somehow maganged to hit Joe instead of radom members of the audience.

#44re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 4:01pm

Why would LuPone care if she was replaced in Evita? According to an interview in Theater Week, she burst into tears when she got the role of Eva because she wanted to do Mamet's newest play instead. (Is there a rolly eyes icon? Evision it here)

Face it. There are people who will always find something to complain about no matter how good or bad the circumstances. LuPone is one of such people.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#45re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 4:40pm

Thanks KuhnKrazy -- exactly my point...

jo
#46re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 7:13pm

>>>Also, there's a documentary about the making of the Australian "Sunset" with Hughie and Debra Byrne. He looks sooo young!<<<

I have seen that one, too re: Sunset Boulevard......If the movie is ever done, hopefully, Hugh would still be in the running for Joe Gillis. Debra Byrne looked like a perfect Norma, too.

I saw SUNSET BOULEVARD at the West End, with Betty Buckley in one production, and with Elaine Paige in another. In both cases, John Barrowman was Joe Gillis.

It has not been mentioned, but it was Barbra Streisand who first released the diva songs from the musical - WITH ONE LOOK and AS IF WE NEVER SAID GOODBYE. At that time, I had wondered if she and ALW had toyed with her doing the original production in London or maybe have it premiered in America instead.

Also, a concert version was aired by BBC where Petula Clark, Michael Ball, and Emma Williams sang the lead roles. Michael and Emma were the best singers ever for the roles of Joe and Betty.

It's amazing how a lot of big names have actually been associated with this musical ( one of the most appreciated in ALW's repertoire) - it is really begging for a revival or a movie version.

Updated On: 7/15/06 at 07:13 PM

#47re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 8:00pm

"Also, a concert version was aired by BBC where Petula Clark, Michael Ball, and Emma Williams sang the lead roles. Michael and Emma were the best singers ever for the roles of Joe and Betty."

I preferred Judy's Betty re: Sunset Boulevard... but I agree with you on Michael Ball. He was also the original Joe Gillis in the workshop production and also had a hit single with the show's title track. I often wondered if he was offered the role and turned it down.
Here's another interesting bit of info. Peter Gallagher was the first choice and offered the role of Joe Gillis for the L.A. production. At the time, he told the LA Times he turned it down because the puny amount of money Lloyd Webber offered him for his services was offensive.

jo
#48re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/15/06 at 10:37pm

Hey, I have just heard from someone who went to a concert in Bath, England tonight - with Michael Ball and Elaine Paige.

They sang songs from SUNSET BOULEVARD...

and CHESS and even DREAMGIRLS ( Both sang "One Night Only" to open the show - although it's a song I will always associate with Hugh's opening song at the 2004 TONYs - I bet it was a stunner, too) and EVITA and CATS and ASPECTS OF LOVE and LES MISERABLES and JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, etc.

Hope a CD comes out of this live event - two great voices from musical theatre!

Updated On: 7/15/06 at 10:37 PM

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#49re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/16/06 at 1:01pm

I've never seen the show on stage, but I've heard several Normas on different recordings (Patti, Glenn, Elaine, Diahann and Faith Brown) and for me Patti is the best of the lot.

Glenn just didn't do for me. I got the impression she repeated her over-the-top Norma performance later, in 101 Dalmatians. Even before the show opened in London in 1993 Patti told in an interview her intention is not to imitate Gloria Swanson, but rather to create a somewhat younger and more vulnerable Norma. I think she did that beautifully. And since Sunset Blvd is a musical and not a play I prefer a good singing voice. Glenn's Norma didn't touch me at all; her screaming/shouting instead of singing just was not my cup of tea.

Now, there are numerous ways to create the role and both Patti and Glenn decided for a different approach, which is absolutely fine. I'm sure Patti would won a Tony for her Norma had she been allowed to take the role to NYC.

My other favorite is Faith Brown, who was Norma on the 2000-2001 UK tour. There is a 3-track CD from this production and she sings The perfect year and As if we never said goodbye in an excellent way, both vocally and in terms of acting.

As for Patti and ALW, although I enjoy his shows very much, it seems to me he could have handled the situation with Patti in a better way and not just drop her out without saying a word. He was naive if he expected she'd do nothing about it.