Sunset Boulevard...

C is for Company
#50re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/16/06 at 2:18pm

From the music I have gathered from the numerous leads and the illegal videos I have watched ooops, I like Betty Buckley the best.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#51re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/17/06 at 9:38am

To reply to the question asked a while ago about Diahann Carroll-she was a phenomenal Norma and no one mentioned her. She was the oldest woman to play Norma and Carroll's history of struggle as an African American actress really added to the depth of the role. You really got the impression that her Norma stuggled for everything she got and was desperate to hang on. She played Norma liked a wounded, petulant child-a woman used to having everything and getting everything she wanted and no longer is given such priviledge. She did not chew the scenery like Glenn, nor did she lighten it up like Petula.

She really gave an even keeled performance as a broken-hearted older actress clinging to youth and fame. However, you knew that when she became enraged she was tapping into her own life force. Diahann said in interviews that she channeled her own rage into Norma after having not been given choice roles in her career because of her skin color, from receiving death threats when making Julia, etc. So when Diahann was begging, crying, or pleading there was an intense sadness that resonated. She wasn't being campy or over the top, she was showing her vulnerability. Carroll has wanted to play Norma after seeing Patti in LA, but thought to herself it would never happen because she was African American. It's quite sad she felt that way, but she knew the reality of her business. She brought all of that to the part. I have a video on the making of the Canadian production that was aired on the CBC as a way to generate ticket sales. You really realize how Diahann Carroll was ideal for the part. She is a divine and intense actress with a beautiful and powerful voice.

She really brought so much to the part that many did not get to see. The show was a failure in Canada as well. The operating costs are so high.

Also, I just had a another thought. Carroll was a glamour girl in the fifties and sixties. She was an incandescent beauty.She was an actress and model from an early age. She dated the likes of Marlon Brando and danced with Dorothy Dandridge. None of the other performers had the life Diahann had-making films in Paris in their early 20s, etc. She really in many ways was Norma. None of the other actresses had the life experience of Carroll who truly was in the sunset of her career and reflecting on all that she had, did and even lost when performing this intense role.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 7/17/06 at 09:38 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#52re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/17/06 at 9:46am

Oh and to respond to the inital question. I choose Buckley overall, for both vocals and performance. I am BETTYBOY after all. However, as much people rag on Glenn, she was a riveting Norma that the majority loved. If you are paying to see a Broadway show, you want an actress who hits the back row with her performance and Close did that. She played Norma like a mentally ill woman which did make a lasting impression with audience members. Where most chose more discreet choices, Glenn went 120%. And be honest, her recording is the most vivid. You close your eyes and you're there. That's what theatre is about. Her mad scenes and her performance in the final scene are a delight on the CD. Listen to when Joe's leaves her and she screams. "NOOOOOOOOOO...." and starts emotionally melting. It sends chills up your spine and gives you goosebumps.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

#53re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/17/06 at 9:57am

nicely stated Bettyboy...

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#54re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/17/06 at 1:56pm

It just goes to prove how people rispond differently. Glenn's recording left me cold, while with Patti I was really moved. All a matter of taste, I suppose.....

Christopher Gough Profile Photo
Christopher Gough
#55re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/17/06 at 3:23pm

I saw Elaine Paige (great singing hammy acting) Petula Clark (poor singing understated acting) Betty Buckley (superb in both departments!)

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#56re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/18/06 at 2:00am

I just purchased the UK recording. I have to admit I find myself liking Patti Lupone in the voice much more than Glenn Close. Overall I feel as though this recording has more interesting orchestration and so on than the American one.

TennesseeTwang
#57re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/18/06 at 2:29am

Who should play Joe Gillis? Hugh Jackman is a magnificant singing actor but I think he will read too old for the character on film. I know he isn't that old, but he looks and SEEMS older than he is. There should be a more obvious age gap between Norma and Joe. Norma is supposed to look like a pathetic and desperate cradle-robber.

I don't like the idea of Ewan McGregor in the role either. He's far too sexually uninhibited to be believable as a man who would feel a deep and hidden shame about becoming a gigolo to a rich older woman.

C is for Company
#58re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/18/06 at 2:34am

I really find that Joe should be in his early 30's as Norma is in early 50's. It bothers me when they make him older that it seems he should be. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find somebody, however at this point I can't think of ideas. Haha, I can think of some funny ones though who definitely would be wrong for the role.

Updated On: 7/18/06 at 02:34 AM

stanton
#59re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/1/08 at 10:17pm

I think Patti was great. She never had the chance to do the re-worked version.

I wish I could sing.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#60re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/1/08 at 10:18pm

I miss C is for Company re: Sunset Boulevard...

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#61re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:33am

I only saw Dihann in Vancouver (I think the Canadian production only played Toronto and Vancouver), and Petula in the revamped and stripped down national tour, and of the two, Dihann hands down.

It's been a while, but as BettyBoy said, she really delivers on the sadness and tragedy. She tries so hard to be regal all the time, but you could tell that somewhere in the back of her mind, she knew that her days of being the biggest star of them all were over (or at least fast approaching). She also didn't have the strongest of voices, but as I explained in the many other Sunset threads before this one, I really don't mind if Norma is the best singer, as she is a Silent Screen Star (though I do understand that many of you want a good singer to bring out the score more as this is a Musical).

Petula was a flouncy little girl in the role, and I really didn't like it. I her recording of the 3 songs on the single was fine, but I really didn't need to see her full interpretation.

At the end of the day, I go back to Glenn Close. Even though I never saw her doing the role (except for the Tony Awards and a couple of TV featurettes on the musical), when I pop in that CD, I can really imagine the whole show in my head. She's so over the top vivid for me, I sometimes felt like I did see her in the role.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#62re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/2/08 at 4:23am

Bettyboy, I totally agree about Betty Buckley. I saw Patti play the role, Betty, and Elaine Page. I loved Betty the best, then Patti. I never saw Glenn Close perform in the show.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

Figaro2
#63re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/2/08 at 4:46pm

I saw Patti 3 times at the Adelphi theatre and loved her Norma, she sang it wonderfully, her interpretion was amazing.Kevin Anderson was a great Joe , Patti is such a unique talent.to be able to act and sing in such a powerful manner, Who will ever forget in London how Fantine was dragged across the stage by Javert's truncheon, she just broke my heart.
Forgive me please but there are too many Patti knockers on this board, accept the talent, accept the 2 Tonys, the Laurence Olivier Award, this woman is talent, she gives everything to her performance and we are privillaged to watch, listen ,experience her. LONG MAY SHE REIGN.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#64re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/2/08 at 5:33pm

Never saw Patti do SB, but saw Betty Buckley, Glenn Close, Petula Clark and Elaine Paige. Both BB & EP are right up there, neck and neck as far I'm as concerned as being the best. Best in terms of acting and singing.

A friend of mine was in the orginal LA production of "Sunset" before it came to Broadway, and I got to watch some of the rehearsals with Faye Dunaway. Faye's acting was unbelievable! She was beyond extraordinary! Never got to hear her sing, though.

Always felt bad for Faye during that time. Andrew Lloyd Weber and Trevor Nunn knew what Faye could and couldn't do regarding her singing voice. So, it couldn't have been a huge surprise to them to find out that she wasn't able to sing the role. Then they fire her and close the show. How is that her fault? DUH!

Updated On: 7/2/08 at 05:33 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#65re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/2/08 at 5:42pm

I think the worst thing about Sunset Boulevard was that it was supposed to be a Sondheim musical in the 80s starring Angela Lansbury.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

LadyRosecoe
#66re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/2/08 at 5:48pm

As much as I adore Sondheim, who probably could have brought out a lot of psychological depth and insight into the characters, ALW is the best person I can think of to handle this material. His grand scores and really typically sweeping music aids so much in carrying such beautiful and dark tones to this show (for the most part). To me, it is easily one of his best although that might not be saying much depending who you ask.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/2/08 at 5:54pm

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 05:54 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#68re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/2/08 at 6:35pm

I think the score for Sunset is beautiful, but the lyrics [which I know were not penned by ALW] are abysmal. Also, I definitely think Sondheim is capable of writing a "sweeping" score. I think ALNM is proof that he can write grander lusher scores.

I think what the real problem was, was that ALW was so concerned with having a hit that he didn't work hard enough on the actual material.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 7/2/08 at 06:35 PM

jackson992
#69re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/2/08 at 7:00pm

Hands down Glenn Close is the best. Not sure why someone mentioned feeling sorry for Norma because she is a most unsympathetic character. The person you feel sorry for is Joe and Betty.

stanton
#70re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/2/08 at 8:07pm

Well Patti was fine in the role. I think ALW closed the LA show so the Broadway Show would become a major event. The Broadway Show became an event allright however at the expence of Patti LuPone, Faye Dunaway, and also to Kevin Anderson, and Judy Kuhn.

I wish I could sing.

LadyRosecoe
#71re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/3/08 at 12:40am

Point taken about the lyrics givesmevoice. ALW did a pretty good job on the songs that are really "on" because when they get going, they take off. But he has some of his worst lyrics in it as well, quite abysmal at times. But overall, factoring the music in, I think it's his strongest score. And while Sondheim has done lush before, I just don't see it in the same light that ALW does it. Sondheim does a project, an intense showing, while Webber just goes for a hitmaker and Sunset reflects that in not so subtle ways.

jeniferrenepatricia
#72re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:49am

Jackson992- I'm one of the people that feel sorry for Norma, not Betty or Joe. Norma Desmond's memories of her past success is the only thing that keeps her alive. She is stuck in a limbo of madness. As far as Joe is concerned, his "decision" to live with Norma seems like a sacrifice, but what does he have to sacrifice? Nothing. He wins on all counts. Betty? I don't feel anything for Betty.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/3/08 at 3:08am

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 03:08 AM

jeniferrenepatricia
#74re: Sunset Boulevard...
Posted: 7/3/08 at 3:12am

I love that ending, lepetite....I feel sorry for Max. And the monkey. Too funny!!!!

Videos